General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Crestor Cholesterol Results - AST Question

Started by Brian · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,478 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 June 2004
Last activity
4 June 2004
Original author
Brian
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,478
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have just received my first test results since being on
    Crestor 10mg for 3 months. I had been on Lipitor10mg for
    about 12 months, then went off for about 12 months, and have
    now been on Crestor for 3 months.

    While on Lipitor 10mg my AST level after 3 months was
    34U/L and dropped to 28 U/L 5 months later. My CK on
    Lipitor was 101 U/L.

    Off Lipitor for 6 months my AST was 25 U/L and CK was 89 U/L

    Now on Crestor for 3 months and my first results show AST as
    being just above the upper limit at 41 U/L and my CK as
    being 157 U/L

    On Lipitor after 8 months my LDL and HDL were 78.73 and 50.5
    mg/dL respectively.

    On Crestor after 3 months my LDL and HDL are 70.25 and 57.12
    mg/dL respectively.

    My triglycerideshave always been pretty low and my HDL was
    53.65 mg/dL before starting the Statin this time (I work out
    a lot). My LDL was 133 mg/dL before beginning treatment.

    I prefer not to go into why I am on a Statin in the first
    place (no heart attack or heart disease though)

    My question relates to the AST and CK levels. My CK is still
    normal but higher than it was before, and my AST has risen
    to 41 from 25.

    I realise that according to the literature there is no great
    concern for AST levels less than 3 times upper normal limit.

    When I saw my family doctor today and went over the results
    I didn't notice the AST nor did he mention them.

    I am seeing my cardiologist this this Friday and plan to
    discuss this with him as well as whether he thinks trying
    5mg of Crestor would be appropriate given my quite low LDL
    test levels now (would have to use a pill splitter) .

    How bad is an AST increase from 25 to 41 after 3 months on
    Crestor? CK from 89 (off statins) to 101 on Lipitor to 157
    on Crestor. Again is this something to factor in when
    balancing the risk/reward argument?

    Will it (AST) come down as I take Crestor longer? (on
    Lipitor it went down from 34 to 28, 5 months later)

    Appreciate any informed replies.

    Please no Statin bashing in this thread, it is irrelevant to
    this discussion.

    Brian

  2. Brian,

    This doesn't answer your q - but in my case 5 mg Crestor
    worked as well as 10 mg Lipitor. The general rule is to use
    as small a dose as possible of any medicine to get your
    desired result. I used a pill splitter on 10mg Crestor. BTW
    Crestor costs the same in all dosages. If you have to pay
    $$$ consider getting a 40 mg dose and split away.

    Brian <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just received my first test results since being on
    Crestor 10mg for 3 months. I had been on Lipitor10mg for
    about 12 months, then went off for about 12 months, and
    have now been on Crestor for 3 months.

    While on Lipitor 10mg my AST level after 3 months was
    34U/L and dropped to 28 U/L 5 months later. My CK on
    Lipitor was 101 U/L.

    Off Lipitor for 6 months my AST was 25 U/L and CK
    was 89 U/L

    Now on Crestor for 3 months and my first results show AST
    as being just above the upper limit at 41 U/L and my CK as
    being 157 U/L

    On Lipitor after 8 months my LDL and HDL were 78.73 and
    50.5 mg/dL respectively.

    On Crestor after 3 months my LDL and HDL are 70.25 and
    57.12 mg/dL respectively.

    My triglycerideshave always been pretty low and my HDL was
    53.65 mg/dL before starting the Statin this time (I work
    out a lot). My LDL was 133 mg/dL before beginning
    treatment.

    I prefer not to go into why I am on a Statin in the first
    place (no heart attack or heart disease though)

    My question relates to the AST and CK levels. My CK is
    still normal but higher than it was before, and my AST has
    risen to 41 from 25.

    I realise that according to the literature there is no
    great concern for AST levels less than 3 times upper
    normal limit.

    When I saw my family doctor today and went over the
    results I didn't notice the AST nor did he mention them.

    I am seeing my cardiologist this this Friday and plan to
    discuss this with him as well as whether he thinks trying
    5mg of Crestor would be appropriate given my quite low LDL
    test levels now (would have to use a pill splitter) .

    How bad is an AST increase from 25 to 41 after 3 months on
    Crestor? CK from 89 (off statins) to 101 on Lipitor to 157
    on Crestor. Again is this something to factor in when
    balancing the risk/reward argument?

    Will it (AST) come down as I take Crestor longer? (on
    Lipitor it went down from 34 to 28, 5 months later)

    Appreciate any informed replies.

    Please no Statin bashing in this thread, it is irrelevant
    to this discussion.

    Brian

  3. Brian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have just received my first test results since being on
    Crestor 10mg for 3 months. I had been on Lipitor10mg for
    about 12 months, then went off for about 12 months, and
    have now been on Crestor for 3 months.

    While on Lipitor 10mg my AST level after 3 months was
    34U/L and dropped to 28 U/L 5 months later. My CK on
    Lipitor was 101 U/L.

    Off Lipitor for 6 months my AST was 25 U/L and CK
    was 89 U/L

    Now on Crestor for 3 months and my first results show AST
    as being just above the upper limit at 41 U/L and my CK as
    being 157 U/L

    On Lipitor after 8 months my LDL and HDL were 78.73 and
    50.5 mg/dL respectively.

    On Crestor after 3 months my LDL and HDL are 70.25 and
    57.12 mg/dL respectively.

    My triglycerideshave always been pretty low and my HDL was
    53.65 mg/dL before starting the Statin this time (I work
    out a lot). My LDL was 133 mg/dL before beginning
    treatment.

    I prefer not to go into why I am on a Statin in the first
    place (no heart attack or heart disease though)

    My question relates to the AST and CK levels. My CK is
    still normal but higher than it was before, and my AST has
    risen to 41 from 25.

    I realise that according to the literature there is no
    great concern for AST levels less than 3 times upper
    normal limit.

    When I saw my family doctor today and went over the
    results I didn't notice the AST nor did he mention them.

    I am seeing my cardiologist this this Friday and plan to
    discuss this with him as well as whether he thinks trying
    5mg of Crestor would be appropriate given my quite low LDL
    test levels now (would have to use a pill splitter) .

    How bad is an AST increase from 25 to 41 after 3 months on
    Crestor? CK from 89 (off statins) to 101 on Lipitor to 157
    on Crestor. Again is this something to factor in when
    balancing the risk/reward argument?

    Will it (AST) come down as I take Crestor longer? (on
    Lipitor it went down from 34 to 28, 5 months later)

    Appreciate any informed replies.

    Please no Statin bashing in this thread, it is irrelevant
    to this discussion.

    Brian

    Salut Brian

    Crestor hasn't been on the market long enough for a lot of
    *user* information, but you may find some information here,
    mid-article: publiccitizen.orgrele
    ase.cfm?ID=7305#_ednref1

    And here, if you do a search on drug name:
    cbc.cadatabase

    Zee

  4. I was hoping for some feedback on the AST numbers, since I
    thought this was a cardiology group.

    Thanks for your input, disappointed at no other
    replies though.

  5. Quoted message said:

    Crestor hasn't been on the market long enough for a lot of *user*
    information, but you may find some information here, mid-article:

    I was actually hoping for some information on moderate rises
    in AST levels. Thanks for the spam links though much
    appreciated.

  6. Brian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Crestor hasn't been on the market long enough for a lot
    of *user* information, but you may find some information
    here, mid-article:

    I was actually hoping for some information on moderate
    rises in AST levels. Thanks for the spam links though much
    appreciated.

    You have seen your gp, consulted your sister (whom you have
    said is a doctor) and will be seeing your own cardiologist
    on Friday. Still you post your question here where it is
    open to answer by the only cardiologist who serves this
    newsgroup.

    I think you must be very worried and I would be too in your
    situation: a possible stroke, or perhaps a genetic
    condition, correct?

    Andrew may yet answer you. He is unfailingly generous,
    gracious...and forgiving.

    Zee

  7. fresh~horses said:


    Brian <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Crestor hasn't been on the market long enough for a lot
    of *user* information, but you may find some
    information here, mid-article:

    I was actually hoping for some information on moderate
    rises in AST levels. Thanks for the spam links though
    much appreciated.

    Rises in either AST and ALT are a concern and should
    motivate your doctor to consider alternatives.

    Quoted message said:

    You have seen your gp, consulted your sister (whom you
    have said is a doctor) and will be seeing your own
    cardiologist on Friday. Still you post your question here
    where it is open to answer by the only cardiologist who
    serves this newsgroup.

    I am not the only one :-)

    Quoted message said:


    I think you must be very worried and I would be too in
    your situation: a possible stroke, or perhaps a genetic
    condition, correct?

    Andrew may yet answer you. He is unfailingly generous,
    gracious...and forgiving.

    Thank you for the kind words :-)

    May God bless you and yours in Christ's name.

    For this you remain in my prayers, Zee.

    Servant to the humblest person in the universe,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    heartmdphd.comheartmdphd.com

    **
    Who is the humblest person in the universe?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    What is all this about?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

    Is this spam?
    makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.