Road Cycling · Public discussion

Crit Race: Cat 5 or Novice?

Started by Kupe du Monde · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,765 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 August 2004
Last activity
2 September 2004
Original author
Kupe du Monde
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,765
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just wanted to run this by you guys:

    So here I am thinking I'd like to get into racing. Sounds like fun. Well, as it turns out, there is going to be a local crit at the end of September. Here's my dilemma: Having never raced before, do I register in the 'Men's Novice' category (age 16+, and I'm 29 BTW) or do I register in Cat 5 (self-explanatory)?

    My dilemma lies in my not wanting to be that one old guy in a group of 16 year-olds. Not that racing against 16 year-olds would be bad, because I'm sure there are plenty that could drop me from their wheel on any given day, but more that I don't want to be 'that guy.'

    Are the odds in favor that there will be more people my age? Should I just eat pride and use it for the experience? Should I not really care and have fun anyway? Am I completely over-thinking this?

    or...

    Given that I've riden for a couple of years now, but having never raced a crit., do I just go for the baptism by fire and throw myself into Cat 5?

    Thanks for your thoughts!!

    Kupe

  2. Try the novice category, and see if you can win. Why not? If you do, I guess you won't be wondering whether you should try the Cat 5 next time. I think that would be the next step.

  3. In my experience with crits around my place, the two groups have riden the same speed. The novice just tends to have more sketchy riders in it.
    That's just where I live though, so I'd just say try what ever sounds best.

  4. Utah roadie said:

    In my experience with crits around my place, the two groups have riden the same speed. The novice just tends to have more sketchy riders in it.
    That's just where I live though, so I'd just say try what ever sounds best.


    The cat fives may have less of a chance of taking you out on a corner as they may be better bike handlers

  5. Better yet...Do both!
    Why not, heck next year you can do three. 30+ too.

    Chances are you will get dropped in the cat. 5 so quickly you will wish you weren't done. But hey, you still have another race, so do better.

    What I am trying to say is you will only get better the more races you can do. If you are there do them both, and most organizers give you a monetary break when doing more than one race.

    Enjoy

  6. In my experience they used to always run the Ct. 5 and the "Citizen"/novice race together ...........

    If they are running them separate, then you must have a large field available .....

    Either one is going to be an overwhelming experience for you, trust me ....... and I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

    Just pick one, and go out and have fun. Every race you will learn something new. And 5's crash more than "citizens" because everyone is out for themself, and they all have something to prove.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.