Critical Power Sensor

Alex Simmons

Mar 12, 2006
Why is it that on test days, your power meter always seems to read low?

I swear it has a critical power sensor built in - picking up the electrical brain currents generated by nerves/anxieties causing a dampening of the power signals fed to the CPU :)

Anyone else noticed this?

My test today hurt :eek:

But it was a PB :D

Alex Simmons said:

I swear it has a critical power sensor built in - picking up the electrical brain currents generated by nerves/anxieties causing a dampening of the power signals fed to the CPU :)

It's just a new instance of Murphy's Law :)

rmur

Best way to suppress the signal is an iPod with your favorite (Metallica)* tunes.

* - Insert your favorite motivational music here!!

Alex Simmons said:

Grrr! :mad: Now I've got to go update my spreadsheet again. :D

Speaking of which, what was the duration and what was your TSB?

Alex Simmons said:

they're supposed to hurt ;)

ric_stern/RST said:
they're supposed to hurt ;)
Gee, thanks for the encouragement....:p

Funny, one day after and the CPU was reading "normal" again.... or was it my brain that was back to normal?

20min MMPAvg
TSB -8.7

Alex Simmons said:

I have the same issue. I loath CP testing days and they always seem to hurt much more than other days when i'll pretty much do similar ave power for the same duration but with much lower RPE...download the file and it's like "oh, geese, how'd that happen. I had way more in there..."

Dini77 said:
I have the same issue. I loath CP testing days and they always seem to hurt much more than other days when i'll pretty much do similar ave power for the same duration but with much lower RPE...download the file and it's like "oh, geese, how'd that happen. I had way more in there..."
I don't loathe them....

As a rider who prefers the dynamic surrounds of riders on a track/crit circuit (where motivational is rarely an issue and PBs often come from my races), for me doing solo test efforts is a really helpful guide to how much I can replicate the mental aspects of generating power as much as the physical. They are a mini "championship" and so represent a chance to practice the mental side of my riding....

Also, I can rationalise the result in terms of my CTL/TSB numbers too.