General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

crock pot cooks -- I have a question!

Started by Sara Hurt · · Last activity · 17 posts · 772 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 April 2004
Last activity
7 April 2004
Original author
Sara Hurt
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
772
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd like
    to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork chops) and
    it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours. However, with my
    hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it
    overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the minimum time it takes to
    be fully cooked and it's fine if you cook it longer? Thanks!

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (sara hurt) said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd
    like to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork
    chops) and it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours.
    However, with my hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to
    11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the
    minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if
    you cook it longer? Thanks!

    Personally, I'd not do chops for that length of time...

    A roast maybe, and make darned sure there is plenty of
    liquid and it's set on low!!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    "There are many intelligent species in the universe, and
    they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    cgi6.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll
    &include=0&userid=katra

  3. (sara hurt) said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd
    like to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork
    chops) and it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours.
    However, with my hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to
    11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the
    minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if
    you cook it longer? Thanks!

    You could put a timer between the crock pot cord and the
    electrical outlet to start the cooking later by 3 hours.

    Dennis

  4. Dennis G. said:


    (sara hurt) said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd
    like to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork
    chops) and it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours.
    However, with my hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to
    11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the
    minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if
    you cook it longer? Thanks!

    You could put a timer between the crock pot cord and the
    electrical outlet to start the cooking later by 3 hours.

    Dennis

    Not to be a little safety freak, but would you really want
    pork chops sitting around at room temp all that time? I
    wouldn't. I guess maybe if the liquid was replaced by ice
    cubes, but ... really.

    nancy

  5. You'll get the best results by cooking dishes in the crock
    pot that you would have simmered a long time in a Dutch oven
    on the stove or in the oven - stews and braised dishes.

    There's no reason why you can't braise pork chops, but meat
    that tender to start with is usually grilled or sautéed -
    you can use cheaper, tougher cuts in the crock pot.

    You can load the crockpot with all the raw ingredients and
    let it go, and you'll get a nice stew. You can make it even
    better by browning the meat/chicken in a pan first and then
    putting it in the crockpot with the veggies and a small
    amount of liquid. Maybe sauté the onions, too.

    --
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
    42.8"

    "sara hurt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd
    like to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork
    chops) and it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours.
    However, with my hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to
    11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the
    minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if
    you cook it longer? Thanks!

  6. Quoted message said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd like
    to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork chops) and
    it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours. However, with my
    hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it
    overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the minimum time it takes to
    be fully cooked and it's fine if you cook it longer?

    The trick to crock pots is to make sure you have enough
    liquid in there. It is nearly impossible to overcook
    anything in there, since the food in the crock pot
    essentially simmers at a low temperature. and you can simmer
    food indefinitely.

    Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

    "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases
    in a direct proportion to the intensity with which others
    try to prove him wrong" James Mason from the movie "Heaven
    Can Wait".

  7. Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Dennis G. said:


    (sara hurt) said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The
    instruction manual claims that "it's virtually
    impossible to overcook anything" in the crock pot. I'm a
    little dubious. I'd like to try a recipe while at work
    tomorrow (for pork chops) and it calls for cooking on
    low 6-8 hours. However, with my hours, I'll be gone more
    like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8
    hours the minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and
    it's fine if you cook it longer? Thanks!

    You could put a timer between the crock pot cord and the
    electrical outlet to start the cooking later by 3 hours.

    Dennis

    Not to be a little safety freak, but would you really want
    pork chops sitting around at room temp all that time? I
    wouldn't. I guess maybe if the liquid was replaced by ice
    cubes, but ... really.

    nancy

    Atually, I use a timer all the time with a delay of about 3
    hours. What I do is fully prepare the contents of the crock
    the night before, then refrigerate covered until just a
    moment before I leave for work. The residual cold from the
    thick crockery and food keeps it cool enough prior to the
    cooking cycle. I never include "high risk" ingredients like
    eggs, mayo, etc.

    Another alternative might be to leave the meat frozen when
    put into the crock. Veggies won't spoil regardless. If
    including potatoes, they should be coated or covered in
    liquid to prevent darkening.

    Wayne

  8. "sara hurt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious. I'd
    like to try a recipe while at work tomorrow (for pork
    chops) and it calls for cooking on low 6-8 hours.
    However, with my hours, I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to
    11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the
    minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if
    you cook it longer? Thanks!

    Couple of suggestions: I have a crockpot that will cook up
    to 12 hours and then 'keep warm' for another 2 hours. You
    can also plug in a timer to the outlet and set it to 'turn
    on' at a certain time, say 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and
    then let the corckpot cook at its normal rate. In either
    case, I would use more liquid than it calls for-just a bit-
    not 2-3 cups.

  9. "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "sara hurt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The
    instruction manual claims that "it's virtually
    impossible to overcook anything" in the crock pot. I'm a
    little dubious. I'd like to try a recipe while at work
    tomorrow (for pork chops) and it calls for cooking on
    low 6-8 hours. However, with my hours, I'll be gone more
    like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it overcook, or is the 6-8
    hours the minimum time it takes to be fully cooked and
    it's fine if you cook it longer? Thanks!

    Couple of suggestions: I have a crockpot that will cook up
    to 12 hours and then 'keep warm' for another 2 hours. You
    can also plug in a timer to the outlet and set it to 'turn
    on' at a certain time, say 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and
    then let the corckpot cook


    at

    Quoted message said:

    its normal rate. In either case, I would use more liquid
    than it calls for-just a bit-not


    2-3

    Quoted message said:

    cups.

    Just additional input. I have never over cooked anything in
    my crock pots. I often cook things for 12 hours in it. I
    never add more liquid though. Crock pots do not evaporate
    liquid as other cookers do. I generally use less liquid than
    specified.

    Charlie

  10. What about ingredients in stews - ex. potatoes and carrots?
    Are they in any danger of being overcooked in a crock pot?

    N.

    "Charles Gifford" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Just additional input. I have never over cooked anything
    in my crock pots.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    often cook things for 12 hours in it. I never add more
    liquid though.


    Crock

    Quoted message said:

    pots do not evaporate liquid as other cookers do. I
    generally use less liquid than specified.

    Charlie

  11. sara hurt said:


    I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The instruction
    manual claims that "it's virtually impossible to overcook
    anything" in the crock pot. I'm a little dubious.

    The primary reason most people object to overcooking is most
    methods yield tough results. Crockpots yield food that is
    quite soft, so that alone overcomes the major objection to
    overcooking. If the roast is cooked enough to fall off the
    bone, doing that in an oven will make it like leather. If
    the roast is cooked enough to fall off the bone, doing that
    in a crockpot pushes it in the direction of stew.

    Don't waste a standing rib roast in it. Get a chuck or round
    or similar. Something that the toughness is coaxed slowly
    out and the flavor is as well.

  12. "N." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What about ingredients in stews - ex. potatoes and
    carrots? Are they in


    any

    Quoted message said:

    danger of being overcooked in a crock pot?

    N.

    <snip>

    Given enough time everything put into a crock pot is in
    danger of being overcooked. The advantages to a "slow
    cooker" or Crock Pot is that the food is cooked under
    relatively low heat in an almost sealed environment. The low
    heat has the effect of lowering the evaporation rate. Foods
    cook in their own juices which is the main reason why very
    little liquid is generally added to a crock pot recipe as
    opposed to a stove top or oven recipe.

    Dimitri

  13. "Doug Freyburger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    sara hurt wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Don't waste a standing rib roast in it. Get a chuck or
    round or similar.

    I don't quite agree.

    Several months ago I had an el cheapo standing Rib Roast
    (USDA Select) that we browned and shoved into the crock pot.

    It ended up being one of the better braised roasts
    I've ever had.

    Dimitri

  14. Wayne Boatwright said:

    Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Dennis G. said:


    [email hidden] (sara hurt) wrote:

    > I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The
    > instruction manual claims that "it's virtually
    > impossible to overcook anything" in the crock pot. I'm
    > a little dubious. I'd like to try a recipe while at
    > work tomorrow (for pork chops) and it calls for cooking
    > on low 6-8 hours. However, with my hours, I'll be gone
    > more like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it overcook, or is
    > the 6-8 hours the minimum time it takes to be fully
    > cooked and it's fine if you cook it longer? Thanks!

    You could put a timer between the crock pot cord and the
    electrical outlet to start the cooking later by 3 hours.

    Dennis

    Not to be a little safety freak, but would you really
    want pork chops sitting around at room temp all that
    time? I wouldn't. I guess maybe if the liquid was
    replaced by ice cubes, but ... really.

    nancy

    Atually, I use a timer all the time with a delay of about
    3 hours. What I do is fully prepare the contents of the
    crock the night before, then refrigerate covered until
    just a moment before I leave for work. The residual cold
    from the thick crockery and food keeps it cool enough
    prior to the cooking cycle. I never include "high risk"
    ingredients like eggs, mayo, etc.

    Another alternative might be to leave the meat frozen when
    put into the crock. Veggies won't spoil regardless. If
    including potatoes, they should be coated or covered in
    liquid to prevent darkening.

    Wayne

    Agreed... but I also have to wonder... the OP didn't mention
    the crock pot having more than one temperature setting. The
    ones I have do; HIGH is for 10-12 hours, LOW for 6-8.

    Jill

  15. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Dennis G." wrote:
    >
    > [email hidden] (sara hurt) wrote:
    >
    >> I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The
    >> instruction manual claims that "it's virtually
    >> impossible to overcook anything" in the crock pot. I'm
    >> a little dubious. I'd like to try a recipe while at
    >> work tomorrow (for pork chops) and it calls for
    >> cooking on low 6-8 hours. However, with my hours, I'll
    >> be gone more like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it
    >> overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the minimum time it
    >> takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if you cook it
    >> longer? Thanks!
    >
    > You could put a timer between the crock pot cord and
    > the electrical outlet to start the cooking later by 3
    > hours.
    >
    > Dennis

    Not to be a little safety freak, but would you really
    want pork chops sitting around at room temp all that
    time? I wouldn't. I guess maybe if the liquid was
    replaced by ice cubes, but ... really.

    nancy

    Atually, I use a timer all the time with a delay of about
    3 hours. What I do is fully prepare the contents of the
    crock the night before, then refrigerate covered until
    just a moment before I leave for work. The residual cold
    from the thick crockery and food keeps it cool enough
    prior to the cooking cycle. I never include "high risk"
    ingredients like eggs, mayo, etc.

    Another alternative might be to leave the meat frozen
    when put into the crock. Veggies won't spoil regardless.
    If including potatoes, they should be coated or covered
    in liquid to prevent darkening.

    Wayne

    Agreed... but I also have to wonder... the OP didn't
    mention the crock pot having more than one temperature
    setting. The ones I have do; HIGH is for 10-12 hours, LOW
    for 6-8.

    Jill

    I think you wrote that backwards....low for 10-12 hrs and
    high for 6-8 is what I think you meant

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  16. hahabogus said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    > "Dennis G." wrote:
    >>
    >> [email hidden] (sara hurt) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought my first crock pot this weekend. The
    >>> instruction manual claims that "it's virtually
    >>> impossible to overcook anything" in the crock pot.
    >>> I'm a little dubious. I'd like to try a recipe while
    >>> at work tomorrow (for pork chops) and it calls for
    >>> cooking on low 6-8 hours. However, with my hours,
    >>> I'll be gone more like 10 1/2 to 11 hours. Will it
    >>> overcook, or is the 6-8 hours the minimum time it
    >>> takes to be fully cooked and it's fine if you cook it
    >>> longer? Thanks!
    >>
    >> You could put a timer between the crock pot cord and
    >> the electrical outlet to start the cooking later by 3
    >> hours.
    >>
    >> Dennis
    >
    > Not to be a little safety freak, but would you really
    > want pork chops sitting around at room temp all that
    > time? I wouldn't. I guess maybe if the liquid was
    > replaced by ice cubes, but ... really.
    >
    > nancy
    >

    Atually, I use a timer all the time with a delay of
    about 3 hours. What I do is fully prepare the contents
    of the crock the night before, then refrigerate covered
    until just a moment before I leave for work. The
    residual cold from the thick crockery and food keeps it
    cool enough prior to the cooking cycle. I never include
    "high risk" ingredients like eggs, mayo, etc.

    Another alternative might be to leave the meat frozen
    when put into the crock. Veggies won't spoil regardless.
    If including potatoes, they should be coated or covered
    in liquid to prevent darkening.

    Wayne

    Agreed... but I also have to wonder... the OP didn't
    mention the crock pot having more than one temperature
    setting. The ones I have do; HIGH is for 10-12 hours, LOW
    for 6-8.

    Jill

    I think you wrote that backwards....low for 10-12 hrs and
    high for 6-8 is what I think you meant

    And what's really funny is I corrected it from being right
    the first time around. I'm still all screwed up from my
    vacation, Alan! Thanks 🙂

    Jill

  17. "N." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What about ingredients in stews - ex. potatoes and
    carrots? Are they in


    any

    Quoted message said:

    danger of being overcooked in a crock pot?

    N.

    If you dice your vegetables small, you might have a problem.
    In my stews, I prefer larger chunks and, in my experience,
    they have never been overcooked. I tend not to like tomatoes
    in the crock pot as they increase in intensity to me. Really
    tender vegetables, I often add later in the cooking time
    when I can. Sauerkraut can take a long time in the crock
    pot, but I prefer to cook fresh cabbage separately from
    anything in the crock pot. I am in danger of wandering from
    the point so I will quit now. ;-)

    Charlie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.