General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Crock Pot Twist on Meatloaf

Started by Sheryl Rosen · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,557 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 March 2005
Last activity
9 March 2005
Original author
Sheryl Rosen
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm always looking for ways to make nightly work-day cooking easier for
    myself. If I don't make dinner--there is no dinner.

    That being said, and being a longtime fan of the slow-cooker/crockpot (I
    have 2 of them!), I am always trying to figure out how to use one of them to
    make my life easier.

    I've often wondered if meatloaf would turn out well in a slow-cooker. I
    really only use them for braising or simmering, never really as an oven.
    But I found a recipe in a Slow-Cooker recipe magazine (one of those special
    editions put out by Woman's Day magazine) for one, and while I used my own
    meatloaf recipe, I followed their suggestion for how much meat to use and
    the timing.

    Know what? It was fantastic! There even was crust!!!! The best part of the
    meatloaf is the ends, right? Well, the ends were perfectly crusty!

    Crock Pot Meatloaf

    1.5 lbs ground beef
    1 egg, beaten
    italian bread crumbs (i don't measure--a handful? more as needed)
    onion flakes
    salt and pepper
    ketchup
    shot of worcestershire

    Combine the meat with all ingredients, mix very well.

    Pat in the bottom of a 3-4 quart oval slow cooker.

    Top with about a quarter cup of ketchup. (I just squirted some on top in a
    close east-west zig zag pattern)

    I did all this last night. I put it in the fridge with the lid.

    Then, in the morning, I set the crock part into the outside part. And set my
    light timer to go on at noon, off at 6:30. I plugged in the slow cooker and
    off to work I went.

    When I got home, after a 2 hour trek in sleet, snow and ice, my apartment
    smelled like meatloaf! Delicious, warm, crusty meatloaf!

    I popped a russet potato into the microwave for 5 minutes, then popped some
    frozen sugar snap peas in a cereal bowl into the microwave for 3 minutes....
    while I scooped out the potato and mashed the inside with some butter, salt
    and pepper. I was sitting down to my favorite dinner of freshly cooked
    meatloaf, real mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas within 10 minutes of
    getting home.

    The drive home stunk, but I had a great, warm, comforting meal waiting for
    me when I finally walked in the door!

    Life is good.

  2. Sheryl...I just experimented about a month ago with making a LARGE
    meatloaf in my Mom's crockpot. I was recovering from breast biopsy
    surgery and didn't feel like doing too much so I said "Let's try this!"
    It was about 2 and 1/2 pounds. I make my standard mix with plenty
    of garlic, 2 eggs, bread crumbs to bind, ketchup, Italian seasoning and
    soy sauce dribbled into "tracks" I make on the surface. It came out
    great after about 1 1/2 hours on high power. Was hoping for crust, but
    no crust. It was moist and flavorful. Used the juice in the crock pot
    to mix with some gravy mix ( I was at Mom's and she uses that stuff)
    doctored with herbs and white vermouth. We must have good taste in
    veggies. I also did sugar snap peas, sauteeing them with lemon zest
    and garlic, and a rather ancient zucchini she had. And mashed potatoes
    as well. Meatloaf....it's so damn good...even in my crockpot. And I
    think your crust was the result of a small amount of beef, and longer
    cooking time. I was afraid to dry it out. I guess I could go longer
    next time cooking it.

  3. Sheryl,

    About the timer...was the crockpot on the timer? How long did the meatloaf
    cook?

    I will have to try this sometime. It's been too long since we've had
    meatloaf I only wish we had the kind of crock pot with the removable crock!

    Chris

  4. Sheryl Rosen said:

    I'm always looking for ways to make nightly work-day cooking easier


    for

    Quoted message said:

    myself. If I don't make dinner--there is no dinner.

    That being said, and being a longtime fan of the slow-cooker/crockpot


    (I

    Quoted message said:

    have 2 of them!), I am always trying to figure out how to use one of


    them to

    Quoted message said:

    make my life easier.

    I've often wondered if meatloaf would turn out well in a slow-cooker.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    really only use them for braising or simmering, never really as an


    oven.

    Quoted message said:

    But I found a recipe in a Slow-Cooker recipe magazine (one of those


    special

    Quoted message said:

    editions put out by Woman's Day magazine) for one, and while I used


    my own

    Quoted message said:

    meatloaf recipe, I followed their suggestion for how much meat to use


    and

    Quoted message said:

    the timing.

    Know what? It was fantastic! There even was crust!!!! The best part


    of the

    Quoted message said:

    meatloaf is the ends, right? Well, the ends were perfectly crusty!

    Crock Pot Meatloaf

    1.5 lbs ground beef
    1 egg, beaten
    italian bread crumbs (i don't measure--a handful? more as needed)
    onion flakes
    salt and pepper
    ketchup
    shot of worcestershire

    Combine the meat with all ingredients, mix very well.

    Pat in the bottom of a 3-4 quart oval slow cooker.

    Top with about a quarter cup of ketchup. (I just squirted some on top


    in a

    Quoted message said:

    close east-west zig zag pattern)

    I did all this last night. I put it in the fridge with the lid.

    Then, in the morning, I set the crock part into the outside part. And


    set my

    Quoted message said:

    light timer to go on at noon, off at 6:30. I plugged in the slow


    cooker and

    Quoted message said:

    off to work I went.

    When I got home, after a 2 hour trek in sleet, snow and ice, my


    apartment

    Quoted message said:

    smelled like meatloaf! Delicious, warm, crusty meatloaf!

    I popped a russet potato into the microwave for 5 minutes, then


    popped some

    Quoted message said:

    frozen sugar snap peas in a cereal bowl into the microwave for 3


    minutes....

    Quoted message said:

    while I scooped out the potato and mashed the inside with some


    butter, salt

    Quoted message said:

    and pepper. I was sitting down to my favorite dinner of freshly


    cooked

    Quoted message said:

    meatloaf, real mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas within 10 minutes


    of

    Quoted message said:

    getting home.

    The drive home stunk, but I had a great, warm, comforting meal


    waiting for

    Quoted message said:

    me when I finally walked in the door!

    Life is good.

    Another method for quick meat loaf is to cook it in the microwave... I
    used to do this occasionally many years ago when I lived in
    southern-cal, when I still had my large GE nuker with a probe... didn't
    like turning on the stove oven because I had no AC back then and it can
    get stifling hot in LA. Then my large GE nuker died and I got a GE
    under-counter unit, much smaller and no probe, but will still cook a
    meat loaf if it's not more than about 2lbs... takes about 20-30 minutes
    (depending on size and shape) and comes out pretty good, although
    admittedly not as good as one done in a conventional oven. I have
    never done meat loaf in a crock pot/slow cooker so I can't compare
    results.

    Another method, for yoose dieters, is to cook meat loaf in a colander
    with a pan underneath to catch the grease... use a nylon colander in
    the microwave and a metal colander in a conventional oven... metal loaf
    pans with a perforated insert are also available but won't work in the
    nuker. I've used this colander method once each, microwave and
    conventional oven... results are kind of dry but I suppose if one is
    cutting their fat intake it's okay... although if you use a lot of
    bread crumbs the colander's defatting is defeated.

    For many years now I do meat loaf only in a conventional oven, large
    loaves, 4-5lbs of meat and lots of veggies... I grind the meat and the
    veggies, and the crumbs too... the time I save by not having to chop
    veggies more than compensates for the time it takes to grind meat,
    which really is very little time. Meat loaf freezes and reheats
    extremely well... so for me making a large loaf when I do have time is
    the fastest way to have meat loaf for when I don't have time... just
    reheat the LOs. It's not even possible for anyone to know they're
    served reheated meat loaf (even nuked) unless you tell them... of
    course you'll know... but I think meat loaf is better the next day
    anyway. I enjoy cold meat loaf too, so if you're really in a hurry
    simply leave a couple of frozen slices in the fridge to thaw for when
    you come home from work. Meat loaf is a good thing to have stocked in
    the freezer, and I do. I think meat loaf is the most versatile food
    there is... versions limited only by ones imagination. One of the best
    uses for skinless-boneless chicken breasts (which otherwise is the most
    blah tasting meat there is) is to grind them up for a savory juicy meat
    loaf... yum... you'll never waste your time trying to keep them from
    becoming tasteless shoe leather again.

    Sheldon

  5. no. I have very basic crock pots. Rival had put one out with the timer
    a few years ago, but I don't think they did very well. No, I just used
    a standard issue GE timer that one would use for lights.

    I checked with my brother, who knows about such things, if it was safe,
    electrically, and we looked at the watts on the appliance and it was
    only 350w, so however you do that math, it worked out to be ok for the
    light timer. I checked the rating on the timer--it's some sort of
    formula....watts divided by something---gives you the number of amps,
    and as long as it doesn't exceed the number of amps the timer is rated
    for, you're ok.

    And he assured me this would be ok. And I have been using it that way
    ever since. I am gone for 10-11 hours at a time. And that's too long
    for most foods to cook, even on low. But the timer has ended that issue
    for me and I have been using the crock pot weekly ever since I
    discovered this trick.

    If you really long for a removable crock and you can spare $15-20,
    treat yourself to one of the newer ones. I have a tall, 6 quart round
    one and a small 3.5 quart oval one. The small one cost me about $13 at
    Walmart. West Bend. Works great. I'm not being sarcastic about being
    able to spare the $15-20. Although I'm working, my budget is really
    squeezed, and sometimes, I just can't spare that small amount of cash
    for something that I "merely" want, vs. something I really need.

    Anyway, go for it!!!

  6. One time on Usenet, Sheryl Rosen <[email hidden]> said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I've often wondered if meatloaf would turn out well in a slow-cooker. I
    really only use them for braising or simmering, never really as an oven.
    But I found a recipe in a Slow-Cooker recipe magazine (one of those special
    editions put out by Woman's Day magazine) for one, and while I used my own
    meatloaf recipe, I followed their suggestion for how much meat to use and
    the timing.

    Know what? It was fantastic! There even was crust!!!! The best part of the
    meatloaf is the ends, right? Well, the ends were perfectly crusty!

    <snip>

    I confess, it never, ever occured to me to make *meatloaf* in the
    crock pot. What a great idea, Sheryl, thanks for sharing! I just did
    my two weeks worth of shopping today, so it will be a while before I
    can try it, but I'm putting this on my menu for next time...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is
    filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

  7. Sheryl,

    About the timer...was the crockpot on the timer? How long did the
    meatloaf
    cook?

    I will have to try this sometime. It's been too long since we've had
    meatloaf I only wish we had the kind of crock pot with the removable
    crock!

    Chris

    Ok, I didn't answer your question really--yes, the crock pot was
    plugged into the timer. It cooked for 6 hours and 30 minutes, but it
    also sat without heat for 1 hour. (that was not by design, just how it
    worked out). So....7 1/2 hours total.

    Hope that helps.

  8. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sheryl,

    About the timer...was the crockpot on the timer? How long did the
    meatloaf
    cook?

    I will have to try this sometime. It's been too long since we've had
    meatloaf I only wish we had the kind of crock pot with the removable
    crock!

    Chris

    Ok, I didn't answer your question really--yes, the crock pot was
    plugged into the timer. It cooked for 6 hours and 30 minutes, but it
    also sat without heat for 1 hour. (that was not by design, just how it
    worked out). So....7 1/2 hours total.

    Hope that helps.

    For those who have a non removeable crock... mine gives recipes for putting
    a loaf pan inside the crock to cook, pouring water around it

    Ophelia

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.