General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

crunchy snack

Started by Daniel Hoffmeister · · Last activity · 22 posts · 707 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 October 2004
Last activity
23 October 2004
Original author
Daniel Hoffmeister
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
707
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Daniel Hoffmeister <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I think the think I miss most on LC is crunchy stuff. And don't tell me
    about celery, I'm talking fried or toasted grain products here.

    My wife recently devised a great crunchy snack. She popped some cooked
    Dreamfields macaroni on a baking sheet, brushed them with olive oil and
    baked them until they were browned and toasty.

    Sprinkle with parmesan or any number of other things - one of the Mrs.
    Dash mixes, onion salt, lemon pepper, powdered white cheddar, you name it.
    Great crunchy snack.

    Dan
    325/195/190
    Atkins since 1/1/02 (yeah, it was a New Year's Resolution)
    Besetting sins: good beer, German bread, and Krispy Kremes

    Hello: I've been lurking for many months and am grateful for all the
    great tips from everyone. This thread inspired me to finally start
    posting, because I made a new crunchy snack this week.

    I take a pretty conservative approach to LC and try to stay away from
    snacks altogether. One that I allow myself is Just the Cheese because
    it's tasty, filling and acceptable for Atkins Induction.

    This week, I wanted something more popcorn-like to eat while watching
    baseball. So I broke the pieces of one serving of Just the Cheese
    (White Cheddar & Soy) in half, to make them more popcorn-sized; heated
    up a tablespoon of butter; and sauteed the Just the Cheese pieces
    until they started to brown a bit. They stayed hot and bubbly for
    quite a while and were so delicious that it totally seemed wrong.

    The big caution on these is the sodium content: 500mg in the JTC + 90
    in the butter. The sodium is even higher in other flavors of Just the
    Cheese. But for one carb, this will make a great occasional treat.

    ....joy

  2. Daniel Hoffmeister said:

    I think the think I miss most on LC is crunchy stuff. And don't tell me
    about celery, I'm talking fried or toasted grain products here.

    Cheese crunchies --
    One of the first ideas I adopted from the low-carb mailing list when
    I was on it, long before this newsgroup was formed:

    Take some premium/deluxe American cheese (pasteurized process
    cheese, such as Kraft Deluxe, labelled "pasteurized process cheese"
    not "... cheese food"😉 and tear the slices into small pieces.

    Place on parchment paper, or the wrappers if you can find the deluxe
    individually wrapped (they stick badly to wax paper), and microwave until
    bubbly and starting to brown.

    In lieu of the appropriate paper/plastic, you can put the cheese on
    a Pyrex pie pan or plate that's been sprayed with non-stick spray,
    but there is a slight risk of shattering the pan/plate in the micro.

    They crisp as they cool, and taste sort of like Cheeze-Its.

    Other kinds of cheeses can be crisped in the microwave, although they
    tend to turn into puddles of muck at first, and a lot of fat usually
    melts and separates from them. The American cheese seems to the only
    one that becomes puffy when cooked this way.

    You can also sprinkle them with various seasonings for different flavors.

    --
    jamie ([email hidden])

    "There's a seeker born every minute."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.