Custom steel bikes

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
I'm visiting my friends in Phoenix. He needed a slight repair to his dropout and was recommended to a man. We made an appointment and went over to his place. Turns out this guy has been making custom bikes for 40 years. Most people have pretty much standard measurements so he has a stock of standard frames, but he can build full custom as required. He designs extremely nice old fashion frames and forks with beautiful moderate paint jobs.

He has a stock of tubing and the now impossible to get DuPont Imron paint that could probably be scratched if you were run over by a Caterpillar tractor. He makes lugs pertinent to the size of bike. He makes modern geometry or even dead-on copies of classic geometry to fit old collector's bikes that mounted classic components such as the Campagnolo Super Record groups.

Though I have never heard of him, from what I saw I could recommend him to anyone that wants a steel bike be it a touring bike or a full on racer. Nothing rides like steel and I have finally returned to it after my last carbon fiber failure that left me broken in more ways than one only to realize how the perfectly awful roads around San Francisco bay can be ridden without a permanent gritting of your teeth on steel bikes.

Oasis Custom Cycles L.L.C.
Omar Khiel
www.oasiscustomcycles.com
[email protected]

I don't know what to think of Dupont Imron paint, I heard great things about it but I had it on a 84 Trek 660 with red Imron paint from the factory and it seemed to chip like any other painted bike I've had, plus it faded A LOT...but I was riding it alot in southern California sun so not sure how other types of paint would have held up under that abuse. I know that bikes painted in Italy were horrible for durability, but Japanese painted bikes seemed to hold up equally well as the Imron paint from what I saw, but again no way to compare with fade issues mine had with time spent in the sun, but having quite a few Japanese bikes they seem to hold up to scratching as well as the Imron does. But Imron does look really good...better than most other paints, when new due to the wet appearance it has.