Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

cutting and rethreading steel steerer tubes

Started by andy · · Last activity · 8 posts · 616 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 November 2006
Last activity
10 November 2006
Original author
andy
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
616
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a kestrel fork w/ a 1" threaded steerer. Is it possible to shorten
    the steerer tube and cut new threads into the fork steerer. I am not sure on
    the thickness of the steel throughout the tube. I am assuming the thickness
    is the same the length of the steerer and this would not compromise the fork
    steerer.
    thanks,
    Andy

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
    It has removed 922 spam emails to date.
    Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  2. andy' trifox13atcovaddotnet said:

    I have a kestrel fork w/ a 1" threaded steerer. Is it possible to shorten
    the steerer tube and cut new threads into the fork steerer. I am not sure on
    the thickness of the steel throughout the tube. I am assuming the thickness
    is the same the length of the steerer and this would not compromise the fork

    Most good LBS's have the die to do this, and it is commonly done if
    the steerer tube is steel.

    The steerer tube is beefy tubing (typically 1 - 1.1 mm) all along its
    length because it has to handle the internal expander from a 1" stem,
    anywhere inside the tube, and this is the more strenuous load on the
    steerer tube.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  3. Donald Gillies said:


    The steerer tube is beefy tubing (typically 1 - 1.1 mm) all along its
    length because it has to handle the internal expander from a 1" stem,
    anywhere inside the tube, and this is the more strenuous load on the
    steerer tube.

    if it isn't 1/16" you're in trouble!
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  4. Donald Gillies said:

    The steerer tube is beefy tubing (typically 1 - 1.1 mm) all along its
    length because it has to handle the internal expander from a 1" stem,
    anywhere inside the tube, and this is the more strenuous load on the
    steerer tube.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Sorry, most steerers are butted and thicker at the crown than at the
    top. Shorten the sttere too much and the quill of the stem won't insert
    far enough.
    Phil Brown

  5. Mea Culpa !! I was looking at steerer tubes on Nova Cycles yesterday,
    but I must have gotten steerer tubes mixed up with head tubes (which
    are the tubes that are typically 1.0 mm and not butted, steerer tubes
    indeed are typically 1.6mm or thicker, and they are butted, viz :

    http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_58_303

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  6. On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:54:08 -0700, "andy" <trifox13atcovaddotnet>

    Quoted message said:

    I have a kestrel fork w/ a 1" threaded steerer. Is it possible to shorten
    the steerer tube and cut new threads into the fork steerer.

    It's done the other way around; first you extend the existing threads,
    then you shorten the tube. This is *far* more reliable than cutting
    first.

    Quoted message said:

    I am not sure on
    the thickness of the steel throughout the tube. I am assuming the thickness
    is the same the length of the steerer and this would not compromise the fork
    steerer.

    While I've heard tales of wierd butted steer tubes, I have yet to
    actually see one. You should be safe.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. On 9 Nov 2006 15:26:55 -0800, [email hidden] (Donald Gillies)

    Quoted message said:

    Mea Culpa !! I was looking at steerer tubes on Nova Cycles yesterday,
    but I must have gotten steerer tubes mixed up with head tubes (which
    are the tubes that are typically 1.0 mm and not butted, steerer tubes
    indeed are typically 1.6mm or thicker, and they are butted, viz :

    http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_58_303

    Butting at the bottom is common, yes, but I was told a tale of woe
    concerning a goofy steerer that was butted at both ends; when the
    threading was extended, it got really thin and twisted off. I don't
    recall what kind of fork it was, but the guy who had encountered it
    said he'd never seen another one like it, so it's rare enough that
    this should not be an issue.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  8. Thanks for all the responses.

    "Werehatrack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 9 Nov 2006 15:26:55 -0800, [email hidden] (Donald Gillies)

    Quoted message said:

    Mea Culpa !! I was looking at steerer tubes on Nova Cycles yesterday,
    but I must have gotten steerer tubes mixed up with head tubes (which
    are the tubes that are typically 1.0 mm and not butted, steerer tubes
    indeed are typically 1.6mm or thicker, and they are butted, viz :

    http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_58_303

    Butting at the bottom is common, yes, but I was told a tale of woe
    concerning a goofy steerer that was butted at both ends; when the
    threading was extended, it got really thin and twisted off. I don't
    recall what kind of fork it was, but the guy who had encountered it
    said he'd never seen another one like it, so it's rare enough that
    this should not be an issue.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
    It has removed 923 spam emails to date.
    Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.