Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

CVT interest

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 126 posts · 3,036 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 June 2006
Last activity
23 June 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
126
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,036
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–126 of 126
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In rec.bicycles.racing Robert Chung said:

    Bill Bushnell wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Unfortunately, I have don't have the "pro" model, just a more recent
    "standard" model (yellow case), so I have no way of retreiving the data
    log, just the averages given on the computer display. I do have a
    cadence meter on both the PT and my other bike computer.

    Quoted message said:

    The standard model should still let you download.

    Graber have told me I need to buy an additional $300 hardware/software package to
    download the raw data. I bought the system (used) for that much and hadn't planned on
    budgeting another $300 for the project.

    Quoted message said:

    The Pro and standard hubs are identical (except for color): the difference
    is in the head unit. The Pro has the option of using conventional wired
    (rather than "virtual"😉 cadence: see
    http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/wattage/rosetta/rosetta_details.html#speed
    for a discussion of the PT's virtual cadence.

    I've never noticed the cadence display swinging wildly as your graph shows, but then
    maybe the display is damped.

    I have noticed that the average speed is calculated incorrectly. It gives the correct
    number if one never stops. But, instead of stopping the clock when speed reaches zero,
    I suspect it keeps the clock running or continues to update the average speed buffer
    until the unit goes to sleep. I tried to inform Graber of this bug, but I was not
    convinced that they understood my complaint or that they considered it to be a bug.
    They told me that most customers pay more attention to the raw downloaded data.
    Oddly, the riding time is caluclated correctly. To their credit they did replace my
    old head unit with a new one at no charge when I sent the hub and head unit back to
    them for an overhaul and inspection.

    --
    Bill Bushnell
    http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, dvt <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Bill Bushnell said:

    For those who don't have MS Excel, I've created two PDF files of the two
    Excel worksheets:

    Pursuit (Banana Bike): http://tinyurl.com/zald3
    Gold Rush: http://tinyurl.com/lyx74

    The average heart rate column is identical on both sheets. Is that right
    or did you miss a cut 'n paste operation?

    It would be an amazing coincidence. Cut 'n paste error. It's fixed
    now. Thanks.

    --
    Bill Bushnell
    http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

  3. Bill Bushnell said:


    Graber have told me I need to buy an additional $300 hardware/software
    package to download the raw data.

    Yikes. That sounds excessive. I can understand why you wouldn't want to do
    that.

    My method of estimating CdA requires that you have access to the
    downloaded data, so you're stuck with finding the right (flat windless)
    venue. You need to find someone who'll get you an hour at Hellyer. Or into
    the SLAC.

    Quoted message said:

    I have noticed that the average speed is calculated incorrectly. It
    gives the correct number if one never stops.

    That's selectable on the Pro and SL. I guess CycleOps considers it a
    feature, not a bug.

  4. I think you are sort of reinventing the wheel a bit. I would just
    simply approach the guy on (http://www.andersoncvt.com/ ) and adapt his
    tech. He designed the technology for his bicycle but has been meeting
    with auto companies since because they have more $$$. He has two
    different CVT designs one with a dual-cone another with a variable
    diameter pulley. I don't think he has had any approaches for a bicycle
    version which would naturally be closer to his heart.

    Quoted message said:
    Ted Bennett said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am curious about the amount of interest out there in both the
    recreation/commuting community and the racing community for a true CVT
    a manual gear system that had infinite variability, the same gear range
    as a 27 speed system, no loss in efficiency and no weight gain. What
    do you think?

    I think it would be terrific, if it really had no efficiency loss and no
    weight penalty. However, there is nothing yet available that comes
    close to meeting that standard.

    I also think that you are some sort of troll, because you are writing
    anonymously about some scheme to get cyclists to transfer money to you.

    I think you should be more upfront. Do you have some links or detailed
    descriptions of the mechanism?

    --
    Ted Bennett

    I am in the process of developing such a device. I was trying to get
    an idea of the market interest before I begin funding the prototype, as
    I am funding the project with my own money. I did not post that to
    begin with because I wanted responces about a desire for the concept,
    not a debate about weather or not people think I actually have a design
    that works. I will not post a description of the mechanism. Thanks
    for your responce.

    Tim Knodel

  5. I think "infinite variability" is ultimately what will kill you (unless
    the rider can easily create custom settings). Otherwise, a racer would
    spend so much time dicking around, trying to find the "perfect" gear,
    he'd likely get dropped by any number of riders who were slightly
    overgeared on a climb.

    I think infinite variability is overrated. Solid functionality,
    flawless performance and low weight will draw people.

    Then again, the marketing "psyche" of Americans, will always reign
    supreme. If you have one more available gear than your competitor, for
    the same price, you'll win.

    The next question is: Will they buy it from YOU? You might want to
    travel to Campy or Shimano, have them sign NDA's and then offer each of
    them a chance to buy it from you.

    Quoted message said:

    I am curious about the amount of interest out there in both the
    recreation/commuting community and the racing community for a true CVT
    a manual gear system that had infinite variability, the same gear range
    as a 27 speed system, no loss in efficiency and no weight gain. What
    do you think?

  6. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I think "infinite variability" is ultimately what will kill you (unless
    the rider can easily create custom settings). Otherwise, a racer would
    spend so much time dicking around, trying to find the "perfect" gear,
    he'd likely get dropped by any number of riders who were slightly
    overgeared on a climb.

    I think infinite variability is overrated. Solid functionality,
    flawless performance and low weight will draw people.

    Then again, the marketing "psyche" of Americans, will always reign
    supreme. If you have one more available gear than your competitor, for
    the same price, you'll win.

    The next question is: Will they buy it from YOU? You might want to
    travel to Campy or Shimano, have them sign NDA's and then offer each of
    them a chance to buy it from you.

    Quoted message said:

    I am curious about the amount of interest out there in both the
    recreation/commuting community and the racing community for a true CVT
    a manual gear system that had infinite variability, the same gear range
    as a 27 speed system, no loss in efficiency and no weight gain. What
    do you think?

    We could use a light, inexpensive, reliable,
    92% efficient, discrete gear system from 1:2 to 4:1 in 5%
    steps for 48 gears; except Jobst who wants 12 gears in
    6.5% steps from 1.9 to 3.8.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.