Cycle paths in Perth

Joop

Guest
There is a new cycle path in Perth from Bayswater to East
Perth. It must be a real winner, as every week I see more
bicycles on this stretch.

Anyone know how many cyclists use this road every day?

Now we only need a proper connection between Bassendean and
Midland. Bloody dangerous piece of road that is, especially
the bridge over the Swan river.

Joop

"Joop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a new cycle path in Perth from Bayswater to East
> Perth. It must be a real winner, as every week I see more
> bicycles on this
stretch.

> Anyone know how many cyclists use this road every day?
>
> Now we only need a proper connection between Bassendean
> and Midland.
Bloody
> dangerous piece of road that is, especially the bridge
> over the Swan
river.

> Joop

A mate of mine and his girlfriend commute on it every day. I
got a chance to ride it and it is bloody lovely. Undulating
hills and no cars and very few pedestrians to worry about.

Fraser

"Fraser Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Joop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > There is a new cycle path in Perth from Bayswater to
> > East Perth. It must be a real winner, as every week I
> > see more bicycles on this
> stretch.
> >
> > Anyone know how many cyclists use this road every day?
> >
> > Now we only need a proper connection between Bassendean
> > and Midland.
> Bloody
> > dangerous piece of road that is, especially the bridge
> > over the Swan
> river.
> >

> > Joop
>
> A mate of mine and his girlfriend commute on it every day.
> I got a chance to ride it and it is bloody lovely.
> Undulating hills and no cars and very few pedestrians to
> worry about.

Yes, its bloody marvelous. If only we could get rid of those
pesky humps at every incline. Or at least make them smooth.
Going over them at speed is really uncomfortable.

Joop

"Joop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, its bloody marvelous. If only we could get rid of
> those pesky humps at every incline. Or at
least
> make them smooth. Going over them at speed is really
> uncomfortable.

You can't have everything mate. It looks like the Perth city
councils are really serious about putting in bike paths
everywhere. My mate who rides the path every day is a civil
engineer and said it would of cost them several million to
build. Good stuff.

Fraser

A mate of mine who works for Westrail has told me that the
counters have measured about 100 each day - a low number as
far as they're concerned, leading to questioning the cost of
future paths. But that was before the Maylands-Bayswater
extension.

I now use the path whenever I commute to work - it makes it
much quicker: .5 km less on the trip and no traffic lights.
I'm waiting for an accident at the Caledonian Road crossing
near Maylands Station however.

The path originally was to go to Midland, but it will stop
at Bassendean - saves the expense of a new bridge across the
Swan River.

John

"Joop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a new cycle path in Perth from Bayswater to East
> Perth. It must be a real winner, as every week I see more
> bicycles on this
stretch.

> Anyone know how many cyclists use this road every day?
>
> Now we only need a proper connection between Bassendean
> and Midland.
Bloody
> dangerous piece of road that is, especially the bridge
> over the Swan
river.

> Joop

"Joop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a new cycle path in Perth from Bayswater to East
> Perth. It must be a real winner, as every week I see more
> bicycles on this
stretch.

> Anyone know how many cyclists use this road every day?
>
> Now we only need a proper connection between Bassendean
> and Midland.
Bloody
> dangerous piece of road that is, especially the bridge
> over the Swan
river.

> Joop
>
>..........................................................-
...........................................................-
................. ..............

I ride it from bayswater to west perth. Absolutly fantastic
& increased my life expectancy, no more clashes with cars.
When is the link to bassendean to start..This portion should
be very cheap as the terrain is very flat & reduces the need
for retaining walls , a major cost of the project...... The
humps at inclines are a bit of a pain but are there for
wheel chair safety, this enables then to rest on the
inclines if required & slow there decents...... Caladonia
Ave is a prob..have to keep eyes peeled & slow down
here............. Im going to Track at midland after work
tonight & the bridge across the swan nasty...Have to time it
right with the lights or hope it is congested over the
bridge...... there is a path over the bridge which is
adequate just needs some hotmix but inconvenient to switch
over to. The tunnell under lord street will be expensive....
Fingers crossed it will go to midland............ Alot of
walkers use the path too, these r probably not picked up in
the counting ........

Regards

BG

"John Beaverstock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A mate of mine who works for Westrail has told me that the
> counters have measured about 100 each day - a low number
> as far as they're concerned, leading to questioning the
> cost of future paths. But that was before the Maylands-
> Bayswater extension.

Sounds very low to me. I remember from a discussion with the
BTA here in Perth the initial number was around 600. And now
this path is rather busy. Many cyclists and pedestrians on
the road in the morning and evening.

> I now use the path whenever I commute to work - it makes
> it much quicker: .5 km less on the trip and no traffic
> lights. I'm waiting for an accident at the Caledonian Road
> crossing near Maylands Station however.

Yes, that is a very dangerous crossing. Problem is that
there are no road markings, neither is there a flashing
yellow light or a similar warning sign.

> The path originally was to go to Midland, but it will stop
> at Bassendean - saves the expense of a new bridge across
> the Swan River.

They only have to attache a small extension to the left
side of the left railway track (coming from Perth) as there
is a path on the Perth side and there is aroad on the
Guildford side.

> John

"Griffo Perth" <[email protected] Perth> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Joop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > There is a new cycle path in Perth from Bayswater to
> > East Perth. It must be a real winner, as every week I
> > see more bicycles on this
> stretch.
> >
> > Anyone know how many cyclists use this road every day?
> >
> > Now we only need a proper connection between Bassendean
> > and Midland.
> Bloody
> > dangerous piece of road that is, especially the bridge
> > over the Swan
> river.
> >

> > Joop
> >

>..........................................................-

...........................................................-

> I ride it from bayswater to west perth. Absolutly
> fantastic & increased my life expectancy, no more clashes
> with cars. When is the link to bassendean to start..This
> portion should be very cheap as the terrain is very flat &
> reduces the need for retaining walls , a
major
> cost of the project...... The humps at inclines are a bit
> of a pain but are there for wheel chair safety, this
> enables then to rest on the inclines if required & slow
> there decents...... Caladonia Ave is a prob..have to keep
> eyes peeled & slow down here.............

Horrible place. And no markings on the road either.

> Im going to Track at midland after work tonight & the
> bridge across the
swan
> nasty...Have to time it right with the lights or hope it
> is congested over the bridge......

With a strong breeze in the back you can make enough speed
to go with the flow, but it is always a bet...

> there is a path over the bridge which is adequate just
> needs some hotmix
but
> inconvenient to switch over to.

It used to be not too diffilcult, but they changed the
design of the beginning of the guard rail for the cars of
course, so now it is almost impossible for a bike to cross
to the sidepath. And the wooden planks splinter easily, good
for punctures.

> The tunnell under lord street will be expensive....

I don't mind to cross it level at the top, as long as you
can then continue staight onto the small road next to the
railway, cross the newly to be build foot/cycle bridge next
to the track.

Joop