Road Cycling · Public discussion

Cycle Sport meets BrokeBack Mountain

Started by Callistus Valerius · · Last activity · 28 posts · 3,752 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 February 2006
Last activity
3 February 2006
Original author
Callistus Valerius
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,752
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Picked up a used copy of Cycle Sport the other day and it reminded me of
    why I don't read it anymore. Thumbing through it, it looked like something
    out of BrokeBack Mountain. Some fashion show with Basso, I don't care what
    he looks like with all those GQ outfits he was wearing. It's a fashion
    show, and hardly any tech or sport to it anymore. Maybe if I wanted to know
    how to look Euro, or whatever, it would come in handy.

    Anyone remember the old Bicycling mag? Compare an old one, to a new
    one. Whew! Too bad their isn't any good cycling mags anymore.

  2. "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Picked up a used copy of Cycle Sport the other day and it reminded me
    of
    why I don't read it anymore. Thumbing through it, it looked like
    something
    out of BrokeBack Mountain. Some fashion show with Basso, I don't care
    what
    he looks like with all those GQ outfits he was wearing. It's a fashion
    show, and hardly any tech or sport to it anymore. Maybe if I wanted to
    know
    how to look Euro, or whatever, it would come in handy.

    Anyone remember the old Bicycling mag? Compare an old one, to a new
    one. Whew! Too bad their isn't any good cycling mags anymore.

    Nice inference to Fudge Pack Mountain...

    -p

  3. Have either of you even seen Brokeback Mountain? The two guys in it are
    cowboys, not Euro fashionistas. Unless you're a caveman or a
    lumberjack, you look a heck of a lot more like Basso at a fashion show
    than they do. And "fudge pack mountain"? C'mon, what are you, twelve?

    More to the point, though, I think Cycle Sport has a lot more meat to
    it than any other bike magazine out there. Bicycling's just ads, Road
    is a step up from that, VeloNews is decent, but has a nasty habit of
    running stories that aren't exactly stories, like their two-issue dope
    "expose" last year, featuring two anonymous riders talking about
    anonymous drugs at anonymous races. Sure, I could deal with fewer
    "where are they now" interviews with riders I've barely even heard of,
    but on the whole, Cycle Sport would be my pick if I had to choose just
    one bike mag.

    -Cosmo
    http://cyclocosm.com

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have either of you even seen Brokeback Mountain? The two guys in it are
    cowboys, not Euro fashionistas. Unless you're a caveman or a
    lumberjack, you look a heck of a lot more like Basso at a fashion show
    than they do. And "fudge pack mountain"? C'mon, what are you, twelve?

    More to the point, though, I think Cycle Sport has a lot more meat to
    it than any other bike magazine out there. Bicycling's just ads, Road
    is a step up from that, VeloNews is decent, but has a nasty habit of
    running stories that aren't exactly stories, like their two-issue dope
    "expose" last year, featuring two anonymous riders talking about
    anonymous drugs at anonymous races. Sure, I could deal with fewer
    "where are they now" interviews with riders I've barely even heard of,
    but on the whole, Cycle Sport would be my pick if I had to choose just
    one bike mag.

    -Cosmo
    http://cyclocosm.com

    Ride from Australia is great, but is only published 4x per year. It's so
    chock full of stuff that it takes me a good while to read through it, but
    that's what's fun about it. Teeny, tiny print ;> Also, Procycling is very
    good, inho. I liked Cyclesport a whole lot better when we got the Brit
    version. I think the American version is a lot more boring.

    Cat

  5. The Brokeback Mountain boys are sheep herders, not cowboys. Cowboys run
    cattle, not sheep. Moreseo, the lifestyle and customs of a cowboy vs. a
    sheep herder is totally different.

    Thanks,

    Magilla

    Quoted message said:

    Have either of you even seen Brokeback Mountain? The two guys in it are
    cowboys, not Euro fashionistas. Unless you're a caveman or a
    lumberjack, you look a heck of a lot more like Basso at a fashion show
    than they do. And "fudge pack mountain"? C'mon, what are you, twelve?

    More to the point, though, I think Cycle Sport has a lot more meat to
    it than any other bike magazine out there. Bicycling's just ads, Road
    is a step up from that, VeloNews is decent, but has a nasty habit of
    running stories that aren't exactly stories, like their two-issue dope
    "expose" last year, featuring two anonymous riders talking about
    anonymous drugs at anonymous races. Sure, I could deal with fewer
    "where are they now" interviews with riders I've barely even heard of,
    but on the whole, Cycle Sport would be my pick if I had to choose just
    one bike mag.

    -Cosmo
    http://cyclocosm.com

  6. On 02/01/2006 03:54 AM, in article [email hidden], "Cat

    Dailey said:

    Ride from Australia is great, but is only published 4x per year. It's so
    chock full of stuff that it takes me a good while to read through it, but
    that's what's fun about it. Teeny, tiny print ;> Also, Procycling is very
    good, inho. I liked Cyclesport a whole lot better when we got the Brit
    version. I think the American version is a lot more boring.

    The only real difference between the American and UK versions of CycleSport
    is the advertisements (especially the big WCP stuff at the back of each
    issue). Editorial content is essentially identical.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot flahute dot com [foreword] slash

  7. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 02/01/2006 03:54 AM, in article [email hidden],
    "Cat

    Dailey said:

    Ride from Australia is great, but is only published 4x per year. It's so
    chock full of stuff that it takes me a good while to read through it, but
    that's what's fun about it. Teeny, tiny print ;> Also, Procycling is
    very
    good, inho. I liked Cyclesport a whole lot better when we got the Brit
    version. I think the American version is a lot more boring.

    The only real difference between the American and UK versions of
    CycleSport
    is the advertisements (especially the big WCP stuff at the back of each
    issue). Editorial content is essentially identical.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield

    Yeah, but I liked the Brit ads. I like to see what kind of stuff the rest
    of the world is buying. It also seems to me that the writing in the
    articles is a bit "Americanized." I could be wrong about that, but I seem
    to remember scratching my head a few times over some of the slang in the old
    version.

    One of the things I always have to remind myself when I read Ride is that
    everything is priced in AU dollars, not US. It's always a bit of a shocker
    when I first see the ads :> And I do wish it would come more timely. It
    gets to the US via Media Mail, about 2 months after the fact.

    Cat

  8. Oh you loveable ewe!

  9. MagillaGorilla said:

    Moreseo, the lifestyle and customs of a cowboy vs. a
    sheep herder is totally different.

    Particularly those from NZ.

  10. Cat Dailey said:

    Yeah, but I liked the Brit ads. I like to see what kind of stuff the rest
    of the world is buying. It also seems to me that the writing in the
    articles is a bit "Americanized." I could be wrong about that, but I seem
    to remember scratching my head a few times over some of the slang in the old
    version.

    Well, I can remember some supplements where I had to convert pounds to
    dollars (and after that, had to wonder if there is a reason that
    British built bikes were more expensive in Britain than the U.S. -
    don't know if it were a single occurence or not). So some of the Brit
    ads are making it into the U.S. version. I did like the one with the
    cop on a bike pulling over the car, but then they ran it too long...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  11. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have either of you even seen Brokeback Mountain? The two guys in it are
    cowboys, not Euro fashionistas. Unless you're a caveman or a
    lumberjack, you look a heck of a lot more like Basso at a fashion show
    than they do. And "fudge pack mountain"? C'mon, what are you, twelve?

    More to the point, though, I think Cycle Sport has a lot more meat to
    it than any other bike magazine out there. Bicycling's just ads, Road
    is a step up from that, VeloNews is decent, but has a nasty habit of
    running stories that aren't exactly stories, like their two-issue dope
    "expose" last year, featuring two anonymous riders talking about
    anonymous drugs at anonymous races. Sure, I could deal with fewer
    "where are they now" interviews with riders I've barely even heard of,
    but on the whole, Cycle Sport would be my pick if I had to choose just
    one bike mag.

    Look, if Hollywood didn't push the hell out of Humpback Hill it would have
    been a box office disaster. The way it is, with all of the full page front
    page advertising it still is doing poorly at the box office.

    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

  12. "Cat Dailey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Also, Procycling is very good, inho.

    Eh? They're the cycling magazine that invented the stock question to ask
    Tour de France hopefuls - "What's your favorite color?"

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich said:

    Look, if Hollywood didn't push the hell out of Humpback Hill it would have
    been a box office disaster. The way it is, with all of the full page front
    page advertising it still is doing poorly at the box office.

    I guess it depends on how you define "poorly".

    http://www.empiremovies.com/boxoffice/boxoffice.php

    "As of January 31, 2006, Brokeback Mountain had grossed more than $52 million
    in North America (making it the ninth highest-grossing R-rated film that opened
    in 2005) and more than $10 million elsewhere."

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. Tom Kunich said:

    Look, if Hollywood didn't push the hell out of Humpback Hill it would have
    been a box office disaster. The way it is, with all of the full page front
    page advertising it still is doing poorly at the box office.

    It's Hollywood's job to push hell out of movies so they
    do well at the box office. That's why they call it the
    movie industry, not the movie hobby.

    Quoted message said:

    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

    Girls, Tom. Girls, girls, girls. And anybody who doesn't feel
    threatened. Gentlemen who wear spandex on a regular
    basis should probably not throw stones.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:
    Tom Kunich said:

    Look, if Hollywood didn't push the hell out of Humpback Hill it would have
    been a box office disaster. The way it is, with all of the full page front
    page advertising it still is doing poorly at the box office.

    It's Hollywood's job to push hell out of movies so they
    do well at the box office. That's why they call it the
    movie industry, not the movie hobby.

    Quoted message said:

    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

    Girls, Tom. Girls, girls, girls. And anybody who doesn't feel
    threatened. Gentlemen who wear spandex on a regular
    basis should probably not throw stones.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10342237/

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  16. Tom Kunich said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have either of you even seen Brokeback Mountain? The two guys in it are
    cowboys, not Euro fashionistas. Unless you're a caveman or a
    lumberjack, you look a heck of a lot more like Basso at a fashion show
    than they do. And "fudge pack mountain"? C'mon, what are you, twelve?

    More to the point, though, I think Cycle Sport has a lot more meat to
    it than any other bike magazine out there. Bicycling's just ads, Road
    is a step up from that, VeloNews is decent, but has a nasty habit of
    running stories that aren't exactly stories, like their two-issue dope
    "expose" last year, featuring two anonymous riders talking about
    anonymous drugs at anonymous races. Sure, I could deal with fewer
    "where are they now" interviews with riders I've barely even heard of,
    but on the whole, Cycle Sport would be my pick if I had to choose just
    one bike mag.

    Look, if Hollywood didn't push the hell out of Humpback Hill it would have
    been a box office disaster. The way it is, with all of the full page front
    page advertising it still is doing poorly at the box office.

    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    Magilla

  17. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Tom Kunich said:

    Look, if Hollywood didn't push the hell out of Humpback Hill it would
    have
    been a box office disaster. The way it is, with all of the full page
    front
    page advertising it still is doing poorly at the box office.

    It's Hollywood's job to push hell out of movies so they
    do well at the box office. That's why they call it the
    movie industry, not the movie hobby.

    Quoted message said:

    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

    Girls, Tom. Girls, girls, girls. And anybody who doesn't feel
    threatened. Gentlemen who wear spandex on a regular
    basis should probably not throw stones.

    As a cycling friend from Mandeville, LA said to the rednecks in the
    Talisheek, LA country store, "It takes a real man to wear Lycra."

  18. B. Lafferty said:

    As a cycling friend from Mandeville, LA said to the rednecks in the
    Talisheek, LA country store, "It takes a real man to wear Lycra."

    There was a guy in my old club who answered the question thus: "It
    gives me a special feeling".

    Well?

    --D-y

  19. Howard Kveck said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:
    Tom Kunich said:

    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

    Girls, Tom. Girls, girls, girls. And anybody who doesn't feel
    threatened. Gentlemen who wear spandex on a regular
    basis should probably not throw stones.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10342237/

    Anne Hathaway gets topless? Hmmmm...

    My kid, who is a big fan of The Princess Diaries', might
    have issues with that. Not me though.

    Bob Schwartz

  20. Tom Kunich said:


    Who the hell wants to see a love story about two MEN except other queers?

    lol! yes, you're makin me lol.

    maybe you'll like this better:

    my son watches those teen channels on cable tv, and one day he was
    watching "noggin" and an ad for another show came on, so i was idly
    watching it along with him- it looked like a typical teen soap opera,
    until they showed two hot girls hanging out in a bedroom together, and
    one of them was saying something like, "all the time i was with him, but
    i was thinking of *you*."

    and then...they kiss.
    http://www.afterellen.com/TV/2006/photos/nowhere/almostCrop.jpg

    i was stunned- "what the hell?! why haven't you been watching this
    show!? start watching, dammit!!"

    heather (wondering who wants to see a love story about two women except
    other dikes???)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.