Cycling after breaking pelvis

Aldarlo

Dec 6, 2013
Can anyone give me advise on the time it will take to get cycling after this accident. I came off my bike beginning of August and fractured my pelvis in 5 places. Instead of screws and pins I was put on traction for a month. I was in hospital for a further 2 weeks when I was released on crutches. I am back at the gym now and can do low cadence work on spin bike. I have tried to get on my bike but cannot manage the crossbar. Am I being to impatient . It is now the beginning of December and I'm feeling frustrated. I would be grateful for any advice. I suppose I should say I'm 65. Thanks

Aldarlo said:
Can anyone give me advise on the time it will take to get cycling after this accident. I came off my bike beginning of August and fractured my pelvis in 5 places. Instead of screws and pins I was put on traction for a month. I was in hospital for a further 2 weeks when I was released on crutches. I am back at the gym now and can do low cadence work on spin bike. I have tried to get on my bike but cannot manage the crossbar. Am I being to impatient . It is now the beginning of December and I'm feeling frustrated. I would be grateful for any advice. I suppose I should say I'm 65. Thanks
Sorry, the closest I came to that sort of injury was a broken hip from a cycling crash, but the broken hip was on the leg that I typically swing over the bike. If I were you, i would discuss that specific problem with your physical therapist (I assume you have one). I know my PT had me doing lots of work to return the flexibility and range of motion to my affected hip and leg. Good luck.

Thanks for that, I managed to get on the bike yesterday. Felt good to be back on even though I just went around the block.

I broke my acetabulum 2 years ago while riding my road bike across a patch of black ice. It's part of the hip socket so technically that's the pelvis. Sounds like yours was worse, although larger bones typically heal faster because they have a better blood supply. Wasn't too bad. I was on the trainer 3 weeks later. Not that my doctor would have approved. Rehabbed aggressively on my own and it has not been a problem.

Not that you should listen to me. . . but doctors are very conservative regarding rehab. I've found that I could always do more than what they recommend.

Best of luck.

I would add though, that compared to you Aldario, I'm a kid ;-) at 61 yoa.

Originally Posted by Aldarlo

I have tried to get on my bike but cannot manage the crossbar.
I was hit by a car, broken pelvis as well as many other issues.

Lay the bike on the ground. One foot in the triangle. Pick the bike up some. Move the foot in the triangle to below the bottom bracket. Staighten up the bike. But you have solved that problem already.

---

If you can only do low cadence work, I would suggest a trainer rather than riding on the roads. Build up some strength and then hit the roads.

Thanks for that. I can now get on the bike but does not feel comfortable yet. I think I will stick to spin bike in gym until the weather improves. How did they fix your pelvis?

Originally Posted by Aldarlo

Thanks for that. I can now get on the bike but does not feel comfortable yet. I think I will stick to spin bike in gym until the weather improves. How did they fix your pelvis?
My pelvis was broken right down the center. A very large and long bolt was used.

The problem was I broke mine in five places and rather than pin it they put me on traction for four weeks. It may be good in that I have no bolts and pins to worry about. Did 10 miles on spin bike today.

Hope things are going well - I did my pelvis and acetabulum in June 2012. It's a long journey and only now do I feel " confident" clipped in on my road bike. Take things slow - it took me 6 months to get rid of my walking stick ( I'm 51 now ) and a further 6 months to cycle on the road. I found getting a suitable saddle difficult but after 2 years I'm back on the Rido saddle I used when I came off. I was getting a lot of pain in my right sit bone but after 2 years that seems to have gone and we are back to 30 mile training rides. Have a look on FB for broken pelvis cyclists to share your experience!