Cycling and running

UtahSlacker

Apr 9, 2013
Hello,
I need your advice on how to add trail running to my cycling. I am a long time road/MTB racer, I ride about 9 to 10 hours per week. Several LOTOJA (206 mi, one day) top 10 finishes, and several 24 hour MTB races. I need a new endurance challenge and I hate running so what better challenge than to take up trail running. My goal is do RAGNAR Zion trail run (3 mi, 5 mi and 8 mi loop), then the Mid Mountain Marathon (26.1 trail miles) and if I can make a go of both of those injury free, I have this crazy idea of attempting an Ultra 50 but not sure on which one, too far out to really think about right now. Also, I won't be doing any competitive cycling but I don't want to lose too much of the gains that I have made.

Here is my question. I want to slowly add running to my bike training but not sure the best way to go about it. Once this cycling/race season is over my bike hours will drop down to around 3 to 4 hours per week, basically to just maintain my FTP. At that point I want to slowly introduce trail running, slowly to avoid injury. Should I bike and run on the same day or should I bike one day run the following day. I understand everybody is different I just wanted some advice from others who bike and run.

Maybe

Mon: Bike 1 hour, run some distance
Tues: Off
Wed: bike 1 hour, run some distance
Thurs: off
Fri: bike one hour, short run
Sat: long run
Sun: off

OR

Mon: Bike 1 hour,
Tues: run some distance
Wed: bike 1 hour
Thurs: run some distance
Fri: bike one hour
Sat: long run
Sun: off

I hope this makes sense and I'm not rambling too much. Thanks in advance!!!

If you want to become a better runner then start with a training volume you can repeat over and over.

If you are riding so hard that you cannot run well then you will need to back off on the riding or run while rested more. You cannot expect to hold your current FTP while adding running to your routine.

In order to become a good runner you will need to run more than 3 times a week, start with 3 and work your way up to 5 and 6 days at a volume you can handle. That may be 1 or 2 miles to start and then work your way up.

Why are you taking a day off?

jaretj

It is interesting to me that you don't even mention the swimming portion. That is the hardest part for me and after I swim I feel very lackadaisical. Is swimming not the hardest part for you?

egrocket said:
It is interesting to me that you don't even mention the swimming portion. That is the hardest part for me and after I swim I feel very lackadaisical. Is swimming not the hardest part for you?
it is.

I like plan two better. Plan one just seems a bit too much if you know what I mean. You do one hour of riding then run maybe 3 miles? I can't do that!