UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cycling at 1300 kph

Started by Ian Walker · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,328 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 October 2004
Last activity
22 October 2004
Original author
Ian Walker
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,328
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been making movies again. After 2 days with a soldering iron in my
    hand and a poorly remembered grasp of GCSE technology in my mind, I've
    been fiddling with a digital camera so that I can attach it to my bike
    and do time-lapse films. Here's my first attempt, filmed today in a
    brief break between showers. It's just a fairly random route around
    Salisbury:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  2. "Ian Walker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been making movies again. After 2 days with a soldering iron in my
    hand and a poorly remembered grasp of GCSE technology in my mind, I've
    been fiddling with a digital camera so that I can attach it to my bike
    and do time-lapse films. Here's my first attempt, filmed today in a
    brief break between showers. It's just a fairly random route around
    Salisbury:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Was the camera on a clamp attached to your top tube?

    --
    Simon M.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Simon Mason said:

    "Ian Walker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been making movies again. After 2 days with a soldering iron in my
    hand and a poorly remembered grasp of GCSE technology in my mind, I've
    been fiddling with a digital camera so that I can attach it to my bike
    and do time-lapse films. Here's my first attempt, filmed today in a
    brief break between showers. It's just a fairly random route around
    Salisbury:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Was the camera on a clamp attached to your top tube?

    --
    Simon M.

    No, it was actually attached to the end of the drop. I'm still working
    on the best place to put it, but I do quite like seeing the fingers
    clicking away at the gears and brakes like this!

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  4. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:19:36 GMT, Ian Walker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Here's my first attempt, filmed today in a
    brief break between showers

    Don't tell thos buggers at uk.tosspot, they already think that the
    need to shower adds an hour to the average cycle commute ;-)

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  5. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:19:36 GMT, Ian Walker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Spiffing! What are the chances of a how-to on your website? I quite
    fancy trying something along those lines myself.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Just zis Guy said:

    Spiffing! What are the chances of a how-to on your website? I quite
    fancy trying something along those lines myself.

    Yes, I'm going to do something quite soon.

    PS Members of the Wiltshire Constabulary might want to watch it
    frame-by-frame: there's a clearly recorded incident of a Rover driver
    using an advanced stop line!

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  7. Ian Walker said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Just zis Guy said:

    Spiffing! What are the chances of a how-to on your website? I quite
    fancy trying something along those lines myself.

    Yes, I'm going to do something quite soon.

    PS Members of the Wiltshire Constabulary might want to watch it
    frame-by-frame: there's a clearly recorded incident of a Rover driver
    using an advanced stop line!

    Yebbut. What about the "no cycling" sign in the Cathedral close?
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil Cook said:
    Ian Walker said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Just zis Guy said:

    Spiffing! What are the chances of a how-to on your website? I quite
    fancy trying something along those lines myself.

    Yes, I'm going to do something quite soon.

    PS Members of the Wiltshire Constabulary might want to watch it
    frame-by-frame: there's a clearly recorded incident of a Rover driver
    using an advanced stop line!

    Yebbut. What about the "no cycling" sign in the Cathedral close?

    Hee hee. I was wondering if someone would notice that! I actually pushed
    round that bit. :o)

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  9. you know? said:

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:19:36 GMT, Ian Walker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Spiffing! What are the chances of a how-to on your website? I quite
    fancy trying something along those lines myself.

    Oh nooooo.... I feel the credit card warming up already.

    Has anyone bought one of the £99 digital cameras from Tchibo?
    Wonder ho easy it would be to alter the fps on it?
    Quick Google revealed the model to be:

    http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dv/dv4100_m.htm
    Guess it would moun ton a helmet OK.

  10. you know? said:

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:19:36 GMT, Ian Walker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Here's my first attempt, filmed today in a
    brief break between showers

    Don't tell thos buggers at uk.tosspot, they already think that the
    need to shower adds an hour to the average cycle commute ;-)


    But it could add zero.
    Have breakfast, put cycling togs on. Put work togs in the panniers.
    Keep smart shoes in desk drawer or works locker.
    Ride to work.
    Shower.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ScumOfTheRoad said:
    you know? said:

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:19:36 GMT, Ian Walker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Spiffing! What are the chances of a how-to on your website? I quite
    fancy trying something along those lines myself.

    Oh nooooo.... I feel the credit card warming up already.

    Has anyone bought one of the £99 digital cameras from Tchibo?
    Wonder ho easy it would be to alter the fps on it?
    Quick Google revealed the model to be:

    http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dv/dv4100_m.htm
    Guess it would moun ton a helmet OK.

    I reckon you'll actually get better quality using a still camera like I
    did, rather than a video camera. That's also the conclusion here:

    http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Accessory.html

    As for the showers, I meant rain showers - not scrubbing myself!

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  12. ScumOfTheRoad <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Have breakfast, put cycling togs on. Put work togs in the panniers.
    : Keep smart shoes in desk drawer or works locker.
    : Ride to work.
    : Shower.

    Or, if you're me:

    Get up,
    put work togs on (jeans, tshirt, jumper)
    have breakfast
    ride to work
    done.

    Arthur "smelly" Clune

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    "Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
    They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

  13. Ian Walker said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    ScumOfTheRoad said:

    O

    http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dv/dv4100_m.htm
    Guess it would moun ton a helmet OK.

    I reckon you'll actually get better quality using a still camera like I
    did, rather than a video camera. That's also the conclusion here:


    Thsi thing from Tchibo records mpeg-4 movies to a Compact Flash card.

    I was just wondering if you could hack the time between frames.
    Guess not really - you'd have to get into the firmware somehow.
    But it does act as a webcam - you could conceive of using a laptop to
    grab frames every so often.

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ScumOfTheRoad said:

    I was just wondering if you could hack the time between frames.
    Guess not really - you'd have to get into the firmware somehow.
    But it does act as a webcam - you could conceive of using a laptop to
    grab frames every so often.

    <cough> what sort of electro bike are you riding that can hold a laptop?
    Seriously - I think a repeating still camera is best, and definitely
    lighter than a camera and computer! I made my camera rig for less than
    60 quid and it provides great quality film. And I can still convert it
    all to Digital Video format with Quicktime and edit it with programs
    like iMovie (I have a Mac; I presume there are PC versions of such
    things too). In DV format, it looks just like it's come off a digital
    video camera. Lovely!

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  15. Ian Walker said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    ScumOfTheRoad said:

    I was just wondering if you could hack the time between frames.
    Guess not really - you'd have to get into the firmware somehow.
    But it does act as a webcam - you could conceive of using a laptop to
    grab frames every so often.

    <cough> what sort of electro bike are you riding that can hold a laptop?


    Ian, let's not start a fight.
    I'm just looking for a justiication for one of these things :-)

    and I've got a very light little laptop - or did till the display went :-(
    Bit old so no USB either.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ScumOfTheRoad said:
    Ian Walker said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    ScumOfTheRoad said:

    I was just wondering if you could hack the time between frames.
    Guess not really - you'd have to get into the firmware somehow.
    But it does act as a webcam - you could conceive of using a laptop to
    grab frames every so often.

    <cough> what sort of electro bike are you riding that can hold a laptop?


    Ian, let's not start a fight.
    I'm just looking for a justiication for one of these things :-)


    Ah, light dawns... :o)

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  17. Ian Walker said:


    <cough> what sort of electro bike are you riding that can hold a laptop?

    http://microship.com/bike/behemoth/index.html

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ian Smith said:

    http://microship.com/bike/behemoth/index.html

    Wow. That's all I can say.

    Ian
    --
    My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  19. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:34:07 GMT, Ian Walker <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ian Smith said:

    http://microship.com/bike/behemoth/index.html

    Wow. That's all I can say.

    I'd long forgotten about this fellow. I particularly like this line in
    the description of the machine:

    "There's a Peltier refrigerator, linked by a fluid loop to a heat
    exchanger in the helmet for body cooling."

  20. "Ian Walker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been making movies again. After 2 days with a soldering iron in my
    hand and a poorly remembered grasp of GCSE technology in my mind, I've
    been fiddling with a digital camera so that I can attach it to my bike
    and do time-lapse films. Here's my first attempt, filmed today in a
    brief break between showers. It's just a fairly random route around
    Salisbury:

    http://www.drianwalker.com/movies/tour12fps.mov (1.7MB)

    Well, I can't open that 🙁. It won't work with two different browsers (IE
    and Firefox) and if I try to load the URL into QuickTime directly it says,
    after a while of unfruitful 'loading': "The movie file "07 Pheasey eager
    beaverass.m4a" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play
    properly." Really Ian, what are you proposing for us?! After that it says
    there was an unknown error '-128'. Pity. You've intrigued me!

    Rich

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.