Cycling event, what wheelset would you choose?

cenotouno

Apr 3, 2012
I am about to do 140 km challenge cycling event next Sunday. I have 2 options of wheels. I have Zipp 404 tubular with Conti Gatorskin tubes which are lite weight wheels, great for climbings and quite good in terms of puncture protection vs. Mavic Cosmic SL mounted with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX with latkes tubes which I tend to believe are more tend to get puncture but on the other end you can always fix clinchers on the road. Also they are quite heavier than the Zipp. I guess the options are clear...! The question as well..! What would you do? --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dtjmmt

Reactions: airmaxtn
I guess this is not a race. I would ride my training wheels.

If you fall in with a fast crowd, spend less time working and more enjoying the ride.

Reactions: airmaxtn
I would replace the latex tubes and the Ultremo tires and get some Conti GP4000S and butyl innertubes for the Mavics - or at least replace the innertubes for something that'd hold air better for the duration of the event.

I once had some Ultremo tires... After a couple of rides, a few punctures and some scary moments I couldn't wait to assign them to the garbage can.

Why would you get a really nice set of wheels like the 404's and put Paris Roubaix recommended tires on them when you could chose something much better?