Cycling image problem....oldtimers.

RapDaddyo said:
I'm not sure. I do get to buy coffee at the senior discount for the 30-somethings in my club after I have kicked their asses on the climbs. Does that count?
Yeah, that counts. I'ts you Lucy is talking about. What about a Japanese walking stick for your birthday? :D

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yeah, that counts. I'ts you Lucy is talking about. What about a Japanese walking stick for your birthday? :D
Cool.:cool: Is it long enough to use for the pole vault?:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
You'll have to speak up sonny, I can't hear you.....

Cycling must age people more than other sports;

Cycling 35 = vet
Running 40 = vet
Power Lifting 45 = vet

mikesbytes said:
Cycling must age people more than other sports;

Cycling 35 = vet
Running 40 = vet
Power Lifting 45 = vet
Actually in cycling Masters Age categories start with the 30-34 age bracket, we just haven't adopted this UCI category in Australia yet. That's why 35-39 is referred to as MMAS 2. Of course you can choose to have an Elite license and not race Masters categories at all.

They don't like us to use the term Vets here as it implies a military service history. Not sure what the heck "Masters" is supposed to mean other than a nice euphemism...

I did note this year one of the local Elite A grade became eligible for MMAS licence and took it up, then constantly talked about the racing in a rather patronising manner. When he entered championships and got his **** whipped I think he realised how competitive it can actually be.... He seems to be racing MMAS regularly now..... Nice guy too so lesson learned.

MMAS is just another form of race handicapping.

Alex Simmons said:
Actually in cycling Masters Age categories start with the 30-34 age bracket, we just haven't adopted this UCI category in Australia yet. That's why 35-39 is referred to as MMAS 2. Of course you can choose to have an Elite license and not race Masters categories at all.

They don't like us to use the term Vets here as it implies a military service history. Not sure what the heck "Masters" is supposed to mean other than a nice euphemism...

I did note this year one of the local Elite A grade became eligible for MMAS licence and took it up, then constantly talked about the racing in a rather patronising manner. When he entered championships and got his **** whipped I think he realised how competitive it can actually be.... He seems to be racing MMAS regularly now..... Nice guy too so lesson learned.

MMAS is just another form of race handicapping.
I'd wondered why it started with MMAS 2, thanks for the expanation.

So I can trade in my MMAS 4 on an Elite and use my license to show off to non racing cyclists.

Haven't met him, but I hear that Felix, who is in his 60's would leave me for dead. Shame about him dislocating this shoulder.

willocrew said:
I think its every individual's prerogative if he/she wants to wear team jerseys for cycling.

Obviously people are going to give you stick for it(especially if your skills aren't up to scratch) but if you're unfazed, just continue to do what you enjoy. Personally i rather wear the ordinary as i don't really like to attract too much attention.

But frankly if you're just out to have some fun in your team jersey just go ahead.

As for cycling image, the image really comes with the sport. Cycling is quite an expensive sport comparatively, and its not going to be mainstream like say soccer, as such sports are more readily available to get into quickly. As such, if the majority aren't part of it, its always going to be different and inherenty odd.

Also media coverage is important. Tennis might just seem like some game for senior people, but with the likes of maria sharapova, nadal coming up etc... its become a glamorous sport.

The same can happen to cycling.. All is needed is a David Beckham of cycling.

How about all the hockey fans that wear the jersey's of their favorite team. Some don't even skate! It's fan support for your team. The sport of cycling is the same as any other. Wear it, support it!

APRIL winds! How I longed for them a couple of days ago (before winter finally came to New England) as I fought February winds in the mid-20's on a 44-mile ride. Only averaged about 29kph (flat course helped) , but hey, I'm an overweight Old Goat at 58. Back in late December on a shorter ride I met up with a 68-year-old guy with a Swiss club jersey and a German accent. He worked me hard; then told me he was just finishing up a 50-miler. Hope I can ride like that ten years from now. ....He did say that several of his buddies (those in their mid-70's) have become reluctant to ride in groups due to the potential embarrassment of being dropped; that's unfortunate.

By the way, I'm an ex-marathoner who gained a lot of weight after two back surgeries and knee problems brought my running career (begun in high school 40 years ago) to an end. Weight ballooned to 215 over 10-15 years. Only started riding in earnest about 6-8 months ago. Now at 185, with 165 (or less) in my sights by July; gotta look good at my 3rd son's wedding.

Oh.....about getting old....It'll happen to you too! As for me, I plan to die young as late in life as possible!

~ Old Goat

Goat, we should share tips, etc. 44 and after l4/l5 lamenectomy 13 years ago I haven't been able to shake the weight even though I've been riding for 5 years.

Is it just the miles or are you on restricted diet?

mikem said:
Goat, we should share tips, etc. 44 and after l4/l5 lamenectomy 13 years ago I haven't been able to shake the weight even though I've been riding for 5 years.

Is it just the miles or are you on restricted diet?
Not getting any miles in at the moment as I wait for the snow to melt; consider myself lucky to be maintaining weight @ 185. While waiting, am trying to get in a 2-3 mile walk through the woods every day or so. Burns maybe 300 kcal.

Am making an effort (sometimes more successful than other times) to not eat stupidly. One thing I've done was real simple: I've switched my breakfast (and sometimes lunch) meal to a couple of shredded wheat biscuits and a topping of "Go Lean Crunch". The Go Lean cereal makes you fart like crazy, so you'd better not eat too much at first or you'll be very uncomfortable (as one of my sons found out), but it's really filling and very good tasting & crunchy. Another cyclist ("Duncan") I met on my local route recently mentioned he was losing weight like crazy; he mentioned Go Lean specifically (I did not bring it up to him). So.....your mileage may vary, but it might be worth a try.

Also, I try to have no more than one beer a day, though some days I feel I've earned the right to a second one. (Yes, I know that I'd lose more weight if I stopped drinking beer, but hey--a good porter or stout is one of life's great pleasures!)

No desserts, except on special occasions (e.g., birthday cake). Lots of vegetables & fruits, though I'm not a vegetarian (yet). Small portions (use a smaller plate). No second helpings; or wait 20 minutes and see if I'm still hungry enough to want seconds (never am). No red meat; only chicken/turkey and a bit of pork ("the other white meat"), most often in soup or a small chunks mixed into stir-fry veggies. Trying to work a little fish into my diet.

Do not bring serving dishes to the table; it's too tempting to take "just a little bit more" or this or that. Fill your (small) plate in the kitchen. "One and done!"

Take your time eating; enjoy conversation with your spouse or companion(s). Try to savor each and every bite; don't just shove it down your gullet.

Never eat at McDonalds/Burger King/etc. When on road trip, usually try to stop at Subway, get roasted chicken with "all the fixin's", meaning as many veggies as will fit in the bun. Don't get a whole grinder (unless sharing half with sombody else); a half grinder (sub/hoagie/whatever you call it where you live) is plenty enough food for anyone.

No sugared sodas; only diet types. Lots of coffee or tea.

I'm almost never hungry, though I sometimes get the munchies around bedtime (worst time of the day to put food in your gut). So I go and open the fridge, then I tell myself it would be stupid to eat now, shut the door, and go to bed.

When I do overeat, as I sometimes find myself doing, I find it now makes me uncomfortably full later in the evening. No pleasant.

In short, think about what and how much you are eating before you open your mouth. Ask youself: "Am I really hungry now?" and, if yes, "Is there something healthy I could eat instead?"

And mileage! Besides the calories burned, I think I've read that exercise (maybe the endorphins?) cuts down on your appetite and also boosts your metabolism.My expeerience seems to confirm both observations.

Plus...and this is the big kick, whether running or cycling:
LESS WEIGHT = MORE SPEED = MORE FUN!

Cheers!

~ OldGoat

BullGod said:
I'm a Cat 1 and I have raced a fair bit recently in UK and Holland, Belgium. It has struck me recently that our sport has always had a major image problem, and unlike football (soccer) cycling is definitely not considered a fashionable sport. A standard comment I hear from friends is that it's very boring to watch, and that "they're all on drugs anyway", as well as more juvenile comments about shaved legs and tight lycra.

On a local level, the cyclists that people see out "training" seem to be frequently over 50 and overweight, yet still feeling the need to wear a replica pro kit, and even worse ride a pro level bike. Imagine how people would laugh if they went to the park and saw a group of middle aged and elderly men kicking a soccerball around, all dressed in replica Arsenal and Barcelona strips, complete to the team socks, attempting feebly to emulate the tricks and theatrics of Messrs Henry and Ronaldinho.

I know when I am in my 50's the last thing I want to be doing is risking impotence and a heart attack grinding into the wind in April. Worse still are the over analytical endless discussions of mature riders who have also "invested" in powermeters and HR monitors and are busy trying to improve their 180w FT. Why not just get a touring bike and take a leisurely ride along a canal or something? You're never gong to be young again. I have no objection to those who raced in their prime and ride a bit after "retirement" to keep the athlete's heart in check, but those who take up such a demanding sport in middle age? I believe it's called a mid life crisis fellas....what are you trying to prove?

So, whenever the average person is exposed to cycling it's either yet another drugs bust, scary Lance making the TdF boring, a "Fred" provoking a pitying laugh by riding along at 18kph with his knees pointing outwards astride a Trek Madone, or some bore droning on about crank length or resistance levels of tubs v clinchers.

I don't necessarily agree with all my sentiment here, and I have deliberately expressed myself in controversial terms...but I'd be interested to hear any agreements and disagreements on the issues I raised.
I must admit, reading your description about the non-athletes in pro-cycling kits, I remember getting quite upset in the car myself, in front of my family, about the pretentious middle-aged types, cycling around in the pro-gear replete with advertizing. I mean, how many people do you see jogging in their country's Olympic outfit? Just about everyone has ridden a bike as a kid and doesn't remember needing lycra bike shorts and tight, low-wind-resistant, shirts. It is obvious these guys are trying to get fit. Why the high-tech race gear?

Well after being a bit of an athlete myself in my prime (I'm 42 now) and feeling, after doctors orders to not jog anymore post my third knee operation, somewhat of a depresed layabout for a few years, I took up cycling about two months ago. I AM HOOKED. At last that feeling of fitness and vitality again. I just completed my first century, and though it was a struggle at the end, I've set my sights on the 203 mile Seattle to Portland next month. I've already lost about 8 lbs (of which approx. 15 lbs is fat and -7 lbs is added muscle. I've got some nice apparel which makes me feel about 15 years younger when I put it on. I now realize why you need bike shorts if you are doing 150 miles a week rather than 1 mile a day to and from school. I don't have any pro-kit but it won't be long before I do. I've even shaven my legs and haven't turned gay yet.

I've never felt this motivated to lose weight. It's pointless spending $$$ to take a hundred grams off your saddle when you are carrying an ingrown 20lb diver's belt. It only takes the sight of one guy powering past you on a hill to convince you.

Never felt better it seems. Now I don't care what others think as they drive past me. And and I've had some splainin' to do to my wife and kids on my previous rants and raves. Guess I was envious or just criticizing myself back then.

Oh and I've had high blood presure for the last 7 years. Eventually went on meds. I have since gone off the meds. Pre meds it was about 145-95. On meds it was about 130-80. Since going off the meds (three months ago) and cycling about 100 miles a week for two months its 120-70!!!! My pulse rate has come down too. And bedroom life is much better for everyone concerned.