Cycling in Bournemouth

Gerald H

Guest
I'm helping a friend do some work on the problems related to cycling in
Bournemouth. This work might be used to help address some of these
issues. Does anyone here have any Bournemouth related problems that we
could look into?

Gerald H wrote on 12/03/2007 21:04 +0100:
> I'm helping a friend do some work on the problems related to cycling in
> Bournemouth. This work might be used to help address some of these
> issues. Does anyone here have any Bournemouth related problems that we
> could look into?

The closure of the NCN cycle route along the promenade during the summer.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:04, Gerald H wrote:

> I'm helping a friend do some work on the problems related to
> cycling in Bournemouth. This work might be used to help
> address some of these issues. Does anyone here have any
> Bournemouth related problems that we could look into?

It's not specifically a Bournemouth problem, but the bike-on-train
issue (South West Trains) is probably worth an airing? At one time,
if I was having a day out at Studland or in/around Poole, I'd put the
bike on the train from Southampton. These days, I don't even bother
considering doing so.

--
Tim Forcer [email protected]
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

Tim Forcer wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:04, Gerald H wrote:
> >
> > I'm helping a friend do some work on the problems related to
> > cycling in Bournemouth. This work might be used to help
> > address some of these issues. Does anyone here have any
> > Bournemouth related problems that we could look into?

> It's not specifically a Bournemouth problem, but the bike-on-train
> issue (South West Trains) is probably worth an airing? At one time,
> if I was having a day out at Studland or in/around Poole, I'd put the
> bike on the train from Southampton. These days, I don't even bother
> considering doing so.

Its become a *lot* easier since they got rid of the Wessex Electrics.

John B

Gerald H wrote:
> I'm helping a friend do some work on the problems related to cycling in
> Bournemouth.

Too hilly, too many badly driven cars.

> This work might be used to help address some of these
> issues. Does anyone here have any Bournemouth related problems that we
> could look into?

Blind elderly drivers?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:32, John B wrote:

> Tim Forcer wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:04, Gerald H wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm helping a friend do some work on the problems related to
>>> cycling in Bournemouth. This work might be used to help
>>> address some of these issues. Does anyone here have any
>>> Bournemouth related problems that we could look into?

>> It's not specifically a Bournemouth problem, but the bike-on-train
>> issue (South West Trains) is probably worth an airing? At one time,
>> if I was having a day out at Studland or in/around Poole, I'd put the
>> bike on the train from Southampton. These days, I don't even bother
>> considering doing so.

> Its become a *lot* easier since they got rid of the Wessex Electrics.

Maybe I should give it a go again.

<http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html#South%20West%20Trains> isn't
clear on which journeys do and don't require reservations (and the SWT
Website is - surprise, surprise - completely unhelpful about all
aspects of taking bikes on their trains. Perhaps I'll toddle down to
one of the stations and talk to a human being. Crazy idea, I know!

--
Tim Forcer [email protected]
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:32:28 +0000 someone who may be John B
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> It's not specifically a Bournemouth problem, but the bike-on-train
>> issue (South West Trains) is probably worth an airing? At one time,
>> if I was having a day out at Studland or in/around Poole, I'd put the
>> bike on the train from Southampton. These days, I don't even bother
>> considering doing so.

>Its become a *lot* easier since they got rid of the Wessex Electrics.

They used to be great for taking bikes on. Then the privateers
decided to put seats in most of the guards van.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Tim Forcer wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:32, John B wrote:
>

> > Its become a *lot* easier since they got rid of the Wessex Electrics.

> Maybe I should give it a go again.
>
> <http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html#South%20West%20Trains> isn't
> clear on which journeys do and don't require reservations (and the SWT
> Website is - surprise, surprise - completely unhelpful about all
> aspects of taking bikes on their trains.

From Southampton to Bournemouth, I think you only have to book on the
Virgin services now (best avoided anyway).
Most of the trains are now the white ones (maybe a train person will come
along and say what number/class these are). They take a minimum of six
bikes usually 3 in each of two carriages out of five. When they are 10-car
trains they can officially take 12 bikes; however the guards seem to allow
more. Between Southampton and Totton last week there were seven crammed
into a three bike space - that was extreme though.

> Perhaps I'll toddle down to
> one of the stations and talk to a human being. Crazy idea, I know!

Hmmmm. SWT employ humans?
Pull the other.

John B

David Hansen wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:32:28 +0000 someone who may be John B
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
> >
> >Its become a *lot* easier since they got rid of the Wessex Electrics.

> They used to be great for taking bikes on. Then the privateers
> decided to put seats in most of the guards van.

But they have now gone, so no longer a problem :))
Simply wheel a bike on and park in the bike area.
No more stoopid hooks either.

John B