cycling in Central Park (NY,NY)

John Riley

New Member
May 3, 2003
I understand there is a 6 mi. cycling loop in the park. What is this like? Many intersections? Can one maintain a good pace? Is it congested? Do the baby carriages stay off it?

johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

In article <[email protected]>, John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:

> I understand there is a 6 mi. cycling loop in the park. What is this like? Many intersections? Can
> one maintain a good pace? Is it congested? Do the baby carriages stay off it?

The loop can get crowded, especially when the weather is nice - not just baby carriages, but
joggers, inline skaters, and horse-drawn carriages also use the road. The Park is closed to traffic
on weekends, and from 10 am to 3 pm on weekdays, but you'll find a bunch of taxi cabs running around
at other times.

It's a nice ride though, and if it's busy, you just need to slow down a bit and keep a watch out for
others. Best to ride early in the morning when it's usually pretty quiet. Quiet, that is, unless the
New York Road Runners track club has a race that day!

Tony

--
Tony Rentschler New York, NY

Tony Rentschler wrote:

> The loop can get crowded, especially when the weather is nice - not just baby carriages, but
> joggers, inline skaters, and horse-drawn carriages also use the road. The Park is closed to
> traffic on weekends, and from 10 am to 3 pm on weekdays, but you'll find a bunch of taxi cabs
> running around at other times.
>
> It's a nice ride though, and if it's busy, you just need to slow down a bit and keep a watch out
> for others. Best to ride early in the morning when it's usually pretty quiet. Quiet, that is,
> unless the New York Road Runners track club has a race that day!

The park is also closed to cars from 7-10pm on weekdays. That's when I'm usually there. The loop is
usually quite empty by then.

Cheers.