cycling in Central Park (NY,NY)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John Riley, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    I understand there is a 6 mi. cycling loop in the park. What is this like? Many intersections? Can one maintain a good pace? Is it congested? Do the baby carriages stay off it?

    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I understand there is a 6 mi. cycling loop in the park. What is this like? Many intersections? Can
    > one maintain a good pace? Is it congested? Do the baby carriages stay off it?

    The loop can get crowded, especially when the weather is nice - not just baby carriages, but
    joggers, inline skaters, and horse-drawn carriages also use the road. The Park is closed to traffic
    on weekends, and from 10 am to 3 pm on weekdays, but you'll find a bunch of taxi cabs running around
    at other times.

    It's a nice ride though, and if it's busy, you just need to slow down a bit and keep a watch out for
    others. Best to ride early in the morning when it's usually pretty quiet. Quiet, that is, unless the
    New York Road Runners track club has a race that day!

    Tony

    --
    Tony Rentschler New York, NY

  3. Tony Rentschler wrote:

    > The loop can get crowded, especially when the weather is nice - not just baby carriages, but
    > joggers, inline skaters, and horse-drawn carriages also use the road. The Park is closed to
    > traffic on weekends, and from 10 am to 3 pm on weekdays, but you'll find a bunch of taxi cabs
    > running around at other times.
    >
    > It's a nice ride though, and if it's busy, you just need to slow down a bit and keep a watch out
    > for others. Best to ride early in the morning when it's usually pretty quiet. Quiet, that is,
    > unless the New York Road Runners track club has a race that day!

    The park is also closed to cars from 7-10pm on weekdays. That's when I'm usually there. The loop is
    usually quite empty by then.

    Cheers.