UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cycling in heavy snow

Started by Ziggi · · Last activity · 10 posts · 611 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 February 2005
Last activity
8 February 2005
Original author
Ziggi
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
611
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul%20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  2. Ziggi said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul
    %20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    BTDTGTTS. See my picture at Bikereader.com..

    He hasn't been cycling long in that snow.. there is no appreciable buildup.
    He is aslo on a thin layer of snow. When the depth of snow is more than the
    width of the tyre, then it starts to get fun.

    Depending on the temperature it can be quite fun, as long as you remember to
    wear ski goggles.. stops the snow stinging your eyes so you can actually see
    where you are going.

    ...d

  3. David Martin said:

    BTDTGTTS. See my picture at Bikereader.com..

    He hasn't been cycling long in that snow.. there is no appreciable buildup.
    He is aslo on a thin layer of snow. When the depth of snow is more than the
    width of the tyre, then it starts to get fun.

    Depending on the temperature it can be quite fun, as long as you remember to
    wear ski goggles.. stops the snow stinging your eyes so you can actually see
    where you are going.

    I found an MTB harder to ride than a road bike in snow. It has to be a
    road bike without mudguards, though or else it jams solid after a few
    hundred yards.

  4. David Martin said the following on 06/02/2005 16:12:

    Quoted message said:
    Ziggi said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul
    %20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    BTDTGTTS. See my picture at Bikereader.com..

    He hasn't been cycling long in that snow.. there is no appreciable buildup.
    He is aslo on a thin layer of snow. When the depth of snow is more than the
    width of the tyre, then it starts to get fun.

    Depending on the temperature it can be quite fun, as long as you remember to
    wear ski goggles.. stops the snow stinging your eyes so you can actually see
    where you are going.

    ...d


    I couldn't find your picture in Bikereader.com. Any direct link??
    Well, it is a dual carriageway (maybe a motorway?), in Istanbul, where lots of accidents happen
    even under normal conditions. Moreover, since the visibility is quite poor, the fact that he has
    no lights on makes it quite dangerous. Temperatures are below zero around 2-3 C. I would not
    think that would be enjoyable!
    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  5. Ziggi said:

    David Martin said the following on 06/02/2005 16:12:

    Quoted message said:
    Ziggi said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanb
    ul
    %20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    BTDTGTTS. See my picture at Bikereader.com..

    He hasn't been cycling long in that snow.. there is no appreciable buildup.
    He is aslo on a thin layer of snow. When the depth of snow is more than the
    width of the tyre, then it starts to get fun.

    Depending on the temperature it can be quite fun, as long as you remember to
    wear ski goggles.. stops the snow stinging your eyes so you can actually see
    where you are going.

    ...d


    I couldn't find your picture in Bikereader.com. Any direct link??


    http://bikereader.com/contributors/misc/martin.html

    Quoted message said:

    Well, it is a dual carriageway (maybe a motorway?), in Istanbul, where lots of
    accidents happen
    even under normal conditions. Moreover, since the visibility is quite poor,
    the fact that he has
    no lights on makes it quite dangerous.

    Not dangerous in itself. Absolutely lethal if the drivers in Isatanbul are
    worse than UK ones..

    Quoted message said:

    Temperatures are below zero around 2-3
    C. I would not
    think that would be enjoyable!

    I quite enjoy that tempoerature. It depends on the person.
    -15 C is a bit cold though.

    ...d

  6. David Martin said the following on 06/02/2005 17:30:

    Quoted message said:

    Not dangerous in itself. Absolutely lethal if the drivers in Isatanbul are
    worse than UK ones..

    You don't wanna know. That is why I said quite dangerous. Well I have never driven in Istanbul,
    but I wouldn't dream of driving a car in that city, let alone riding a bicycle in normal
    conditions. In snow, no way. To be honest, I'd rather drive/ride in the UK. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I quite enjoy that tempoerature. It depends on the person. -15 C is a bit cold though.


    I guess -2 or -3 is not that bad, unless the road are icy.

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  7. Ziggi said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul%20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    Anthrotech, the only answer. Sideways action is *so* much fun!

  8. Response to Tosspot:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul%20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    Windcheetah, the only answer. Sideways action is *so* much fun!

    ^^^^^^^^ IFYPFY. :-þ

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "Oceania was at war with Eurasia: Oceania had always been at war
    with Eurasia."

  9. Mark McNeill said:

    Response to Tosspot:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul%20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    Windcheetah, the only answer. Sideways action is *so* much fun!

    ^^^^^^^^ IFYPFY. :-þ

    Pah! If only I had the spondulies. I did consider it, but I like the
    Rohloff option on the Anthrotech.

  10. Pun Krocker said the following on 08/02/2005 20:42:

    Quoted message said:

    On this day, 06/02/2005 15:48, Ziggi said the following:

    Quoted message said:

    Cycling in bad conditions!

    http://fotogaleri.hurriyetim.com.tr/GalleryImages%5CYa%C5%9Fam%5C%C4%B0stanbul%20Kar%20Alt%C4%B1nda%5C13.jpg

    Memories 🙂
    Last time I done that was with Graham Obree and Gordon Stead in the
    80's, had to keep stopping to clear the snow from the cogs ;-)


    80s... I remember riding a folding kinda bike with slick tyres in such a condition. Well, I was
    a kid then, and didn't enjoy it that much, hard to control you know 😉

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

    "The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same
    good things for the first time." F. Nietzsche

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.