Cycling in the desert states of the US

Neil Smith

Guest
Dear All,
I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.
Thanks
Neil

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:54:12 +0100, "Neil Smith" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Dear All,
>I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
>mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
>40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
>If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
>experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.
>Thanks

Would you net get a better response on a non-uk group?

Neil Smith said the following on 19/04/2007 14:54:
> Dear All,
> I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
> mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
> 40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.

No experience whatsoever on those lines, but the guys at
alt.mountain-bike are worth talking to. The sort of riding you describe
sounds like what they all do every day of the week, according to some of
them :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Neil Smith" <[email protected]> writes:

|> I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
|> mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
|> 40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
|> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
|> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.

Don't push it until/unless you are adapted; you can get heatstroke
even with plenty of water etc.

Carry AT LEAST half a gallon, preferably a gallon, of water (and
something salty, if you need that - I don't).

Wear wicking fabrics (e.g. cotton or even wool) everywhere. Avoid
tight clothes, though tight, wicking underwear with a loose top
can be OK.

Wear a hat and clothes that keeps the sun of the back of your head
and neck - CRITICAL for cyclists.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

On 19 Apr 2007 14:32:08 GMT, [email protected] (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>"Neil Smith" <[email protected]> writes:
>|>
>|> I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
>|> mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
>|> 40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
>|> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
>|> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.
>
>Don't push it until/unless you are adapted; you can get heatstroke
>even with plenty of water etc.
>
>Carry AT LEAST half a gallon, preferably a gallon, of water (and
>something salty, if you need that - I don't).
>
>Wear wicking fabrics (e.g. cotton or even wool) everywhere. Avoid
>tight clothes, though tight, wicking underwear with a loose top
>can be OK.

Cotton is NOT a wicking fabric. I just went and grabbed a couple of my
wicking shirts, one from REI (a US outdoor store) and one a North Face
brand. Both are 100% polyester.

>Wear a hat and clothes that keeps the sun of the back of your head
>and neck - CRITICAL for cyclists.

In the US Southwest in summer use plenty of sunscreen, SPF 30+. I just
got back from a week in New Mexico and got a pretty good burn in one
afternoon without sunscreen. Mind you it's April, but I was at 6000'+
elevation. Thin, dry air accentuates the problem.

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

Quoting Neil Smith <[email protected]>:
>I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
>mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
>40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.

Don't die. This is definitely up there with hillwalking in winter in the
UK in terms of leaving a route with Park Rangers or similar, carrying more
reliable emergency comms than a cellphone, etc...
Today is Leicesterday, April.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:54:12 +0100, Neil Smith wrote:

> Dear All,
> I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
> mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
> 40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.
> Thanks
> Neil

Depending on your age and local law, you may have to wear a magic foam hat.
Mandatory Helmet Laws exist in California, Arizona, Montana, Nevada, New
Mexico, and Texas (and other states/commwealths that would probably not be
considered "desert").

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 19 Apr 2007 14:32:08 GMT, [email protected] (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

will be +

> >Don't push it until/unless you are adapted; you can get heatstroke
> >even with plenty of water etc.
> >
> >Carry AT LEAST half a gallon, preferably a gallon, of water (and
> >something salty, if you need that - I don't).
> >
> >Wear wicking fabrics (e.g. cotton or even wool) everywhere. Avoid
> >tight clothes, though tight, wicking underwear with a loose top
> >can be OK.

> Cotton is NOT a wicking fabric. I just went and grabbed a couple of my
> wicking shirts, one from REI (a US outdoor store) and one a North Face
> brand. Both are 100% polyester.
>
> >Wear a hat and clothes that keeps the sun of the back of your head
> >and neck - CRITICAL for cyclists.

> In the US Southwest in summer use plenty of sunscreen, SPF 30+. I just
> got back from a week in New Mexico and got a pretty good burn in one
> afternoon without sunscreen. Mind you it's April, but I was at 6000'+
> elevation. Thin, dry air accentuates the problem.
>
> --
> jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

Many years ago I walked (sorry) down the Grand Canyon. Wonderful
experience, but that's not the point here. Information I got from the NPS
said "Carry plenty of water", so I did. Trouble is I didn't drink it!

You have no idea how much fluid your body looses in the conditions you will
encounter until you experience the effects. Don't just carry the water,
drink it. In fact, keep refilling the bottles at every opportunity and
drink it!

You might want to investigate the town of Moab in South Eastern Utah. I
cannot remember exactly how it promotes itself but something along the lines
of "Mountain Bike Centre of the USA". It's a fabulous area. There are
two National Parks in very easy reach (Arches and Canyonlands). Hovenweep
NM, Mesa Verde NP (more history than biking destinations), Natural Bridges,
Monument Valley all quite close (with a car cause you'll need one to get
there) and then Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase
Escalante within a couple of hundred miles. Get there via Denver or
Phoenix and even consider flying into one and out of the other - doesn't add
anything to the airfare but might need a slight supplement on the car hire.

news:[email protected]...

http://www.moab-utah.com/trails/bikingtrails.html
http://www.moab.net/linksystem/index.pl?t=sub&no=59
http://www.discovermoab.com/biking.htm

Neil Smith wrote on 19/04/2007 14:54 +0100:
> Dear All,
> I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
> mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
> 40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.
> Thanks
> Neil

Just don't wear black lycra. People have been known to pass out from
the heat in some of the deserts and wake with the black lycra melted
into their skin.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

http://www.discovermoab.com/climate.htm

Moab isn't quite as warm as the OP anticipated, but it's close. And yes,
it is a great place to go mountain biking and hiking. The Slickrock
Trail, the Porcupine Rim Trail, and the White Rim Trail are all
excellent rides for a competent cyclist. If you've got the time and
money, a guided/supported trip on the Kokopelli Trail from Loma,
Colorado to Moab would be an excellent adventure, although it would be
more fun earlier in the year (May) before things get too warm.

If you don't want to bring your own bike, Moab is full of bike shops
with plenty of opportunities to rent the bike of your choice.

BA has a non-stop from London Heathrow to Denver, fares drop quite a bit
in mid-April when the Colorado ski areas close, and go right back up
June 1. I've taken a bicycle on that flight in the past, they took very
good care of it. Flying into Salt Lake City would be the other option.

All the advice in this thread about sunscreen and staying hydrated is
excellent, and should be followed scrupulously.

mark

On 19/04/2007 15:32, Nick Maclaren said,

> Wear wicking fabrics (e.g. cotton or even wool) everywhere.

No, no, no - do not wear cotton. It doesn't wick, but just soaks up
sweat and retains it. I wear Coolmax t-shirts from most camping shops
or even wiggle these days (in the 'hike' section), which from memory are
some sort of polyester and lycra mix. If I had a cotton t-shirt, my
shoulders would be rubbed raw with any back-pack, and MTBers (including
myself) often wear some sort of back-pack (hydration).

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.discovermoab.com/climate.htm
>
> Moab isn't quite as warm as the OP anticipated, but it's close. And yes,
> it is a great place to go mountain biking and hiking. The Slickrock Trail,
> the Porcupine Rim Trail, and the White Rim Trail are all excellent rides
> for a competent cyclist. If you've got the time and money, a
> guided/supported trip on the Kokopelli Trail from Loma, Colorado to Moab
> would be an excellent adventure, although it would be more fun earlier in
> the year (May) before things get too warm.

What about March?

cheers,
clive

On 19 Apr, 06:54, "Neil Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am thinking about exploring the desert states of the US, cycling or
> mountain biking for a week or two. Perhaps July, when temperatures will be +
> 40C isn't the best time but it is the only time I can get away.
> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.
> Thanks
> Neil

Try posting on the forums on www.crazyguyonabike.com Many of the
people there are USA based and I've seen a few posts about western
desert conditions. From memory the advice was don't do it in July
August but worth asking there anyway.

Iain

In news:[email protected],
mark <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> BA has a non-stop from London Heathrow to Denver, fares drop quite a
> bit in mid-April when the Colorado ski areas close, and go right back
> up June 1. I've taken a bicycle on that flight in the past, they took
> very good care of it. Flying into Salt Lake City would be the other
> option.

Bit of a pain, though, coz AFAIK there aren't any direct flights from
Blighty to SLC. Which give the baggage handlers a second opportunity to
destroy one's bicycle.

--
Dave Larrington
Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Bit of a pain, though, coz AFAIK there aren't any direct flights from
> Blighty to SLC. Which give the baggage handlers a second opportunity
> to destroy one's bicycle.

Absolutely correct - you have to change at least once, in New York, Atlanta
or Chicago (they're the ones I do, anyway). I'm off in May for my second
trip to SLC this year, and this time I'm taking my bike (out for a month, so
may as well do some riding!). Hopefully it won't get damaged!

Pete.

In article <[email protected]>, Graham Harrison
<[email protected]> writes

>Many years ago I walked (sorry) down the Grand Canyon. Wonderful
>experience, but that's not the point here. Information I got from the NPS
>said "Carry plenty of water", so I did. Trouble is I didn't drink it!
>
>You have no idea how much fluid your body looses in the conditions you will
>encounter until you experience the effects. Don't just carry the water,
>drink it. In fact, keep refilling the bottles at every opportunity and
>drink it!

When I did that way back my group carried lots of water (about 2.5
litres each) and also salted sunflower seeds to replace lost salts. We
stopped for five minutes each hour for a rest and a drink. I can't
remember if we were able to refill our water bottles anywhere, though
there was a picnic area on our way back up near the Canyon village.

As we set off at 7am, it was quite chilly, though it was early
September. Beside the river, a good 5,000 feet closer to sea level, it
was hot. However, as we'd just spent two summer months in high
temperatures on the South Carolina coast, the heat and sun weren't a
problem for us.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On 2007-04-19, Neil Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> If any one has done something like this perhaps they could share there
> experiences with me or make some useful suggestions.

Get a CamelBak. The most capacious model you can find. You will need
to drink lots and lots of water.

What's insidious is you won't notice losing water because you don't
appear to sweat much. Actually, you're sweating loads, but with relative
humidities being so low, and the passing airflow, it evaporates almost
immediately. If you feel thirsty it's too late.

If you find yourself getting chapped lips etc. it's because you're still
not drinking enough water. Even if you're not riding - just hanging out
and lazing about in that climate, you dry out at what seems like an
incredible rate if you're used to living in a damp, humid maritime
climate.

"John Everett"

> Cotton is NOT a wicking fabric. I just went and grabbed a couple of my
> wicking shirts, one from REI (a US outdoor store) and one a North Face
> brand. Both are 100% polyester.

In my experience the sun protection is more important than whether the
fabric is 'wicking' or not. The humidity is _so_ low that the only
indication that you've been sweating at all is the crust of salt!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Budstaff" <budstaffdotusegroup@btinternetdotcom> writes:
|> "John Everett"
|> >
|> > Cotton is NOT a wicking fabric. I just went and grabbed a couple of my
|> > wicking shirts, one from REI (a US outdoor store) and one a North Face
|> > brand. Both are 100% polyester.
|> >
|> In my experience the sun protection is more important than whether the
|> fabric is 'wicking' or not. The humidity is _so_ low that the only
|> indication that you've been sweating at all is the crust of salt!

That is partially true, but not entirely. It is CRITICAL that the top
layer is (a) VERY vapour permeable and (b) loose - if you think about
the physics, you will see why! Under a strong sun, you can avoid a
LOT of heat gain by allowing the surface material to get hot (and it
can get 100+ Celcius) and reradiate the heat - this is why all medium
sized savanna mammals have hair.

The other thing that people often miss is that sweat that comes off
as liquid is water wasted. As long as it evaporates, you 'gain the
coolth', and it doesn't matter too much whether it soaks into your
clothing first. That is why people who need to take SERIOUSLY hot
conditions (60 degrees Celcius and up) favour tight short-staple
cotton underwear (to prevent sweat dripping off and let it evaporate)
and loose cotton overclothes.

God alone knows why the Lycra fetishists believe the propaganda that
cotton isn't a wicking fabric - it is THE original wicking fabric!
What are candle wicks made from? More seriously, all of the
traditional practice, pre air conditioning tropical guidelines and
modern military desert clothing favour it or a close imitation. I
have carried a pack, comfortably, at 49 Celcius (shade temperature)
under a hot sun by doing that.

The best synthetic alternatives are NOW probably as good as cotton,
but they weren't even a couple of decades back when that propaganda
campaign started. Most synthetics are a good way to get prickly
heat in humid conditions or when sweating vigorously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.