UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cycling in the fog

Started by Dirtylitterboxo · · Last activity · 107 posts · 5,176 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 December 2003
Last activity
6 December 2003
Original author
Dirtylitterboxo
Posts
107
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,176
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 107
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Distinctly foggy here in my bit of deepest rural Norfolk. Visibility down to less than 100m on much
    of the short ride between home & town.

    I got togged up in reflectives & day-glo yellow & had the usual bundle of front & rear lighting
    switched on on the bike, plus the reflectives on the bike & set off for town. Not a bad cycle ride
    today, no potentially nasty incidents with any vehicle, for which I am grateful.

    But I did think a lot of vehicles were going waaaaay too fast for the conditions, considering the
    very limited visibility. Also, there were a significant minority of vehicles travelling along with
    either no lights on, or just side lights. Obviously this is something no motorist ever does, just as
    I, in cycling mode, even though I was lit up like a Christmas tree and swathed in reflectives, was
    obviously not really like this, as we all know, cyclists *never* have lights on... sigh... Irony
    mode off now ;-)

    Mind you, I was overtaken by cement mixer where driver of cement mixer waited until it was safe to
    overtake me and pulled out nice and wide when he did overtake. What a nice chap - when I waved to
    thank him, he flashed his indicator to show me he'd noticed this. I do like it when courtesy reigns
    on the roads :-)

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
    fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

  2. "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    snipped interesting observations

    Quoted message said:

    Mind you, I was overtaken by cement mixer where driver of cement mixer


    waited

    Quoted message said:

    until it was safe to overtake me and pulled out nice and wide when he did overtake.

    What colour was the mixer? (This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete
    business.)
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  3. On 02 Dec 2003 13:32:32 GMT someone who may be [email hidden]
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    But I did think a lot of vehicles were going waaaaay too fast for the conditions, considering the
    very limited visibility.

    That's because many drivers of motor vehicles appear to believe that switching on fog lights at the
    rear of their motor vehicle allows them to see further infront of their motor vehicle. Perhaps a
    psychologist could do a study of this sort of stupidity.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  4. "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Distinctly foggy here in my bit of deepest rural Norfolk. Visibility down


    to

    Quoted message said:

    less than 100m on much of the short ride between home & town.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    But I did think a lot of vehicles were going waaaaay too fast for the conditions, considering the
    very limited visibility. Also, there were a significant minority of vehicles travelling along with
    either no lights


    on, or

    Quoted message said:

    just side lights.

    I find this amusing in view of all the complaints on this NG about unnecessary use of fog lights. I
    agree, though, too many people don't think to slow down in fog or other low visibility conditions.
    --
    mark

  5. "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    snipped interesting observations

    Quoted message said:

    Mind you, I was overtaken by cement mixer where driver of cement mixer


    waited

    Quoted message said:

    until it was safe to overtake me and pulled out nice and wide when he did overtake.

    What colour was the mixer? (This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete
    business.)
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  6. On 02 Dec 2003 13:32:32 GMT someone who may be [email hidden]
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    But I did think a lot of vehicles were going waaaaay too fast for the conditions, considering the
    very limited visibility.

    That's because many drivers of motor vehicles appear to believe that switching on fog lights at the
    rear of their motor vehicle allows them to see further infront of their motor vehicle. Perhaps a
    psychologist could do a study of this sort of stupidity.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  7. "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Distinctly foggy here in my bit of deepest rural Norfolk. Visibility down


    to

    Quoted message said:

    less than 100m on much of the short ride between home & town.

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    But I did think a lot of vehicles were going waaaaay too fast for the conditions, considering the
    very limited visibility. Also, there were a significant minority of vehicles travelling along with
    either no lights


    on, or

    Quoted message said:

    just side lights.

    I find this amusing in view of all the complaints on this NG about unnecessary use of fog lights. I
    agree, though, too many people don't think to slow down in fog or other low visibility conditions.
    --
    mark

  8. "Michael MacClancy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    snipped interesting observations

    Quoted message said:

    Mind you, I was overtaken by cement mixer where driver of cement mixer


    waited

    Quoted message said:

    until it was safe to overtake me and pulled out nice and wide when he


    did

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    overtake.

    What colour was the mixer? (This is a serious question, I have a


    connection

    Quoted message said:

    with the concrete business.)

    Red Lorry? Yellow Lorry? Wed Lowrie? Lellow Lolly?

  9. Michael MacClancy said:

    What colour was the mixer? (This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete
    business.)

    I've been to a place called Concrete in Washington, USA
    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. mseries.freeserve.co.ukmseries.freeserve.co.uk

  10. Michael MacClancy said:


    This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete business.)

    Off to do an overshoe fitting for one of your clients?

    Tony ;-)

  11. "Michael MacClancy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    snipped interesting observations

    Quoted message said:

    Mind you, I was overtaken by cement mixer where driver of cement mixer


    waited

    Quoted message said:

    until it was safe to overtake me and pulled out nice and wide when he


    did

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    overtake.

    What colour was the mixer? (This is a serious question, I have a


    connection

    Quoted message said:

    with the concrete business.)

    Red Lorry? Yellow Lorry? Wed Lowrie? Lellow Lolly?

  12. Michael MacClancy said:

    What colour was the mixer? (This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete
    business.)

    I've been to a place called Concrete in Washington, USA
    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. mseries.freeserve.co.ukmseries.freeserve.co.uk

  13. Michael MacClancy said:


    This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete business.)

    Off to do an overshoe fitting for one of your clients?

    Tony ;-)

  14. "mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I find this amusing in view of all the complaints on this NG about unnecessary use of fog lights.

    How so? I don't see the connection.

    --
    Dave...

  15. "mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I find this amusing in view of all the complaints on this NG about unnecessary use of fog lights.

    How so? I don't see the connection.

    --
    Dave...

  16. MSeries said:

    I've been to a place called Concrete in Washington, USA

    /I've/ been to a place called Pie Town, in New Mexico, USA. Nyah nyardy nyah nyah!

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  17. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael MacClancy said:


    This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete business.)

    Off to do an overshoe fitting for one of your clients?

    They've been paying on time recently ;-)
    ___
    Michael MacCorleone

  18. MSeries said:

    I've been to a place called Concrete in Washington, USA

    /I've/ been to a place called Pie Town, in New Mexico, USA. Nyah nyardy nyah nyah!

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  19. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael MacClancy said:


    This is a serious question, I have a connection with the concrete business.)

    Off to do an overshoe fitting for one of your clients?

    They've been paying on time recently ;-)
    ___
    Michael MacCorleone

  20. Dave Larrington said:
    MSeries said:

    I've been to a place called Concrete in Washington, USA

    /I've/ been to a place called Pie Town, in New Mexico, USA. Nyah nyardy nyah nyah!

    And I've been to Hell, in Grand Cayman. Nyah nyardy nyah nyah with knobs on!

    Tony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.