Cycling in the Rain

Drinky

Guest
Is it just me or does cycling in the rain somehow remind people of their childhood?

Mickey Fish told me this morning that there were a few light showers that would peter out - so, with
the news that the M25 was in chaos again, I decided that I'd cycle to work.

It's nearly half ten and I've just dried out! A few light showers petering out was more like a
torrential downpour petering in.

Despite this, I enjoyed the commute as much as any I've done - including the heady summers mornings.

I think you are so right! Riding in the rain certainly has a strange pleasure about it... But there is one condition, its really only fun if you decide you want to do it. If you have no choice but to ride in the rain - it losses its attraction!

AS we get older we get boring and lazy "oh its raining, I'll stay inside and paint the bathroom" NO! get out and go for a ride!! its only water - and humans have the added advantage of being waterproof.

What fun it is tip toeing through the house COVERED in mud, trying not to ruin the carpets, then standing in the bath and peeling those revolting clothes off!!

Warm summer rain has to be the best mmmmmmmm

Originally posted by Drinky
Is it just me or does cycling in the rain somehow remind people of their childhood?

Hm. Having my front wheel slip off a road marking in yesterday's London rain and my bike just gently slip away from under me ("Mate, that was impressive. You just skidded 20 feet on your bottom" from a passer by who kindly stopped) I'm now not quite so keen. Going slower means you have longer to get really wet too, although sliding on a wet surface is like a waterslide - no damage at all except paintwork.

Riding in the rain is very refreshing.

I ride almost every day. Have poncho, nylon windbreaker, raincoat, cap and gloves on my bike year round.

Weather is something you dress for.

I am 71. I avoid the senior stoic philosophers who gather at the Stop-N-Rob to drink coffee and whine their near-death-experience surgeries and other agonies.

Mark - a good point...... road markings, manhole covers, invisible oil slicks make a wet ride to work quite an adventure. A mate of mine took a motorbike test in the rain the other day, he did really well right up the the finish until it was emergency stop time...... at which point he slid up to the examiners feet on his chest with the bike on top of him!!

He stood up and asked "I wonder..... does this mean I've failed?"

Originally posted by Drinky
Is it just me or does cycling in the rain somehow remind people of their childhood?

Ahh, last night it was raining here in California! I wanted go out and cycle around in the park (no cars), but I couldn't, b/c I had work to do... Sadly, by the time I was able to go outside, the rain had already stopped, and it was drying up. :confused:

I never got to play in the rain as a kid (Mom worried that I'd get sick), so I'm looking forward to the opportunity soon...

:D

Mark Evans <[email protected]> writes:

> Originally posted by Drinky Is it just me or does cycling in the rain somehow remind people of
> their childhood?
>
> Hm. Having my front wheel slip off a road marking in yesterday's London rain and my bike just
> gently slip away from under me ("Mate, that was impressive. You just skidded 20 feet on your
> bottom" from a passer by who kindly stopped) I'm now not quite so keen. Going slower means you
> have longer to get really wet too, although sliding on a wet surface is like a waterslide - no
> damage at all except paintwork.

While no tyre is perfect in the wet, some tyres are a _lot_ better than others. I personally have
always liked Michelin. Also, beware of white lines and in particular iron man-hole covers and other
such things when it's wet.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Das Internet is nicht fuer
gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken

Originally posted by vlad
Riding in the rain is very refreshing.

I ride almost every day. Have poncho, nylon windbreaker, raincoat, cap and gloves on my bike year round.

Weather is something you dress for.

I am 71. I avoid the senior stoic philosophers who gather at the Stop-N-Rob to drink coffee and whine their near-death-experience surgeries and other agonies.
:)

Dear Vlad,
You're quite an old fellow to be riding EVERY day!! I'm only 70 and I don't rider every day but I certainly avoid the coffee clatches and the whiners. I can't understand how most old people talk about their health problems instead of new and exciting things. I just got a Cannondale off-road with hydraulic brakes. Now, the difference between mechanical and hydraulic brakes is something to talk about!! S. Harrison

Originally posted by Saul E. Harriso
:)

Dear Vlad,
You're quite an old fellow to be riding EVERY day!! I'm only 70 and I don't rider every day but I certainly avoid the coffee clatches and the whiners. I can't understand how most old people talk about their health problems instead of new and exciting things. I just got a Cannondale off-road with hydraulic brakes. Now, the difference between mechanical and hydraulic brakes is something to talk about!! S. Harrison

Originally posted by Simon Brooke
Mark Evans <[email protected]> writes:

> Originally posted by Drinky Is it just me or does cycling in the rain somehow remind people of
> their childhood?
>
> Hm. Having my front wheel slip off a road marking in yesterday's London rain and my bike just
> gently slip away from under me ("Mate, that was impressive. You just skidded 20 feet on your
> bottom" from a passer by who kindly stopped) I'm now not quite so keen. Going slower means you
> have longer to get really wet too, although sliding on a wet surface is like a waterslide - no
> damage at all except paintwork.

While no tyre is perfect in the wet, some tyres are a _lot_ better than others. I personally have
always liked Michelin. Also, beware of white lines and in particular iron man-hole covers and other
such things when it's wet.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Das Internet is nicht fuer
gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken
sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

Originally posted by johnsmith

When it's raining, remember that car drivers have one more thing to contend with, and cyclists are a lot less visible to them. Be extra vigilant, and expect that many car drivers won't see you. Don't get t-boned. And if you're with a group, it's a courtesy to attach one of those cheap plastic fenders to your seatpost so you don't create a mobile rooster tail for the guy behind you to squint through. It's OK to attach a fender to expensive bikes, too - after all, no one is going to say "That dufus has a fender on his Colnago" when it's raining cats and dogs. Your riding partners will thank you, and anyone else doesn't count. - johnsmith

I think Vlad said it best, that it's something you dress for... And something you should probably slow down a bit for as well. I was a courier for almost ten years and I usually won't ride in the rain anymore. Just too many years of being forced to do it(in rain, sleet,snow,blizzards,etc...) kind of ruined it for me. These days I usually only ride when it's enjoyable for me. Cycling should be fun right?

Even with the burley shoe cover,
I'm still having trouble keeping dry feet. Water seems to come in the side of the pants at the zipper. Runs down the leg and fills the "waterproof shoe from the top.

What's the secret to dry feet?

Waterproof socks Waterproof shoes covers, and lots of duck tape!! Allow an extra 1/2 an hour to get it all on/off!!

Originally posted by Mark Evans
Originally posted by Drinky
Going slower means you have longer to get really wet too

but going faster means that that you hit more raindrops so you get wetter overall (especially on forward facing surfaces and their run-offs)

best wishes
james

>I am 71. I avoid the senior stoic philosophers who gather at the Stop-N-Rob to drink coffee and
>whine their near-death-experience surgeries and other agonies.

Love it!

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>typed
>

> > vrkelley wrote:
>
> > > What's the secret to dry feet?
>
> > Staying in bed...
>
> Only if you can guarantee your hot water bottle will not leak...

Likewise ones (or ones partners) bladder. (***********, looks like Charlie writ that).

Pete