Cycling in rain while wearing specs!

Mac

Guest
Hi guys!

I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight problem
I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most of the journey
to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where I'm going properly
which is a bit risky.

Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming a
hazard? I would take them off, but I cant see past the end of my arm clearly
without them, so either way I'm a bit stuck!

Your help would be most appreciated!

Woady

Mac wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight problem
> I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most of the journey
> to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where I'm going properly
> which is a bit risky.
>
> Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming a
> hazard? I would take them off, but I cant see past the end of my arm clearly
> without them, so either way I'm a bit stuck!
>
> Your help would be most appreciated!
>
> Woady

there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.

Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
well. You must have something similiar

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.
>
> Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
> well. You must have something similiar

Mr Sheen as in furniture polish? Will have to try these out.

Thanks for the tip!!

Woady

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mac wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight

problem
> > I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most of the

journey
> > to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where I'm going properly
> > which is a bit risky.
> >
> > Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming a
> > hazard? I would take them off, but I cant see past the end of my arm

clearly
> > without them, so either way I'm a bit stuck!
> >
> > Your help would be most appreciated!
> >
> > Woady
> >

> there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.
>
> Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
> well. You must have something similiar

Ask your optician. Umpteen things cause the coatings on the lense to drop
off (cleaning with tissue / water / fairy liquid being pretty common ones).

Mac wrote:
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.
>>
>>Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
>>well. You must have something similiar

> Mr Sheen as in furniture polish? Will have to try these out.
>
> Thanks for the tip!!
>
> Woady

Yeah thats the stuff.

Welcome

Doki wrote:
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Mac wrote:
>>
>>>Hi guys!
>>>
>>>I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight

> problem
>
>>>I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most of the

> journey
>
>>>to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where I'm going properly
>>>which is a bit risky.
>>>
>>>Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming a
>>>hazard? I would take them off, but I cant see past the end of my arm

> clearly
>
>>>without them, so either way I'm a bit stuck!
>>>
>>>Your help would be most appreciated!
>>>
>>>Woady
>>>

>>there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.
>>
>>Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
>>well. You must have something similiar

> Ask your optician. Umpteen things cause the coatings on the lense to drop
> off (cleaning with tissue / water / fairy liquid being pretty common ones).

Well I havnt used the above on glasses. Shouldnt think it would be a
prob.. Motorcycle visers r plastic. So are lots of varishes these
days. Still don;t sue me if I am wrong

I bet the opticians sell Rain off now I think on it

> I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight
> problem I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most
> of the journey to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where
> I'm going properly which is a bit risky.

Not what you're asking, but I wear a baseball cap when it's raining - does
an excellent job at stopping the rain reaching my eyes. Hopefully will
sort it in combination with the rain off/furniture polish.

Mac wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight problem
> I have when I ride to work in the rain.
>
> Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming a
> hazard?

Five pints of Ringwood Old Thumper ;-)

John B

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doki wrote:
> > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > problem

> > journey

properly

> > clearly

> >>there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.
> >>
> >>Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
> >>well. You must have something similiar

> > Ask your optician. Umpteen things cause the coatings on the lense to

drop
> > off (cleaning with tissue / water / fairy liquid being pretty common

ones).

> Well I havnt used the above on glasses. Shouldnt think it would be a
> prob.. Motorcycle visers r plastic. So are lots of varishes these
> days. Still don;t sue me if I am wrong
>
> I bet the opticians sell Rain off now I think on it

Motorbike visors probably don't have the the same coatings as glasses have -
remember, if these things will come off with water, solvents etc. in rain
off (if it's similar to rain x, it is solventy smelling) can probably bugger
them up too. And if you have polycarb lenses, and rain off contains meths,
the lenses will shatter. New lenses will be £60 or so at the opticians or
£30 if you send the glasses away to an online setup.

A single drop of washing up liquid polished onto the insides to stop
misting and furniture polish on the outside if you want the rain to run
off though, personally, I prefer them to get evenly wetted on the
outside making vision better.

Robert

in message <[email protected]>, Doki
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Doki wrote:
>> > "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > Ask your optician. Umpteen things cause the coatings on the lense to
>> > drop off (cleaning with tissue / water / fairy liquid being pretty
>> > common ones).

>> Well I havnt used the above on glasses. Shouldnt think it would be a
>> prob.. Motorcycle visers r plastic. So are lots of varishes these
>> days. Still don;t sue me if I am wrong
>>
>> I bet the opticians sell Rain off now I think on it

> Motorbike visors probably don't have the the same coatings as glasses
> have - remember, if these things will come off with water, solvents
> etc. in rain off (if it's similar to rain x, it is solventy smelling)
> can probably bugger them up too. And if you have polycarb lenses, and
> rain off contains meths, the lenses will shatter. New lenses will be
> £60 or so at the opticians or £30 if you send the glasses away to an
> online setup.

It might be worth buying a pair of the el-cheapo glasses you can get in
chemists or garages which don't have coated lenses anyway, and
experiment. Obviously get a pair which matches your distance
prescription. Even if you only use them for cycling in the rain, it
would be worth it.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.

Doki <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
> > well. You must have something similiar

> Ask your optician. Umpteen things cause the coatings on the lense to drop
> off (cleaning with tissue / water / fairy liquid being pretty common ones).

Washing-up liquid, or at least some washing-up liquid, seems to contain
very harsh and powerful degreasers. Having seen what a little dab of
washing-up liquid can do to a monitor's anti-glare coating I wouldn't
put it on your glasses.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice www.apple-juice.co.uk
Chapter Arts Centre

Mac wrote:

> I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight
> problem I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most
> of the journey to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where
> I'm going properly which is a bit risky.

Not a liquid solution (pkenty of those above), but a cycling cap will keep a
good deal of the rain off your specs -- it will deflect hailstones too,
which can be extremely painful at speed.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> It might be worth buying a pair of the el-cheapo glasses you can get in
> chemists or garages which don't have coated lenses anyway, and
> experiment. Obviously get a pair which matches your distance
> prescription.

The ones sold in chemists and garages are reading glasses only AFAIK so
not much use for cycling or driving.

--
Tony

Anon

D.M. Procida wrote:

> Washing-up liquid, or at least some washing-up liquid, seems to contain
> very harsh and powerful degreasers. Having seen what a little dab of
> washing-up liquid can do to a monitor's anti-glare coating I wouldn't
> put it on your glasses.

The old trick is rub a slice of raw potato over the lens and wipe it clean.

--
Tony

Anon

Simon Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not a liquid solution (pkenty of those above), but a cycling cap will keep a
> good deal of the rain off your specs -- it will deflect hailstones too,
> which can be extremely painful at speed.

And a third vote for the cap solution.

If you wear a helmet then either get one with a peak (not as good) or wear
a cycling cap under the helmet

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Tony Raven wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>> It might be worth buying a pair of the el-cheapo glasses you can get
>> in chemists or garages which don't have coated lenses anyway, and
>> experiment. Obviously get a pair which matches your distance
>> prescription.
>>

> The ones sold in chemists and garages are reading glasses only AFAIK
> so not much use for cycling or driving.

You can get el-cheapo distance glasses online. I'm using a £20 pair as my
sole glasses at the minute. I find them very little different to my previous
£150 pair. Except they're still in one piece and unscratched.
--
Ambrose

Mac wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight problem
> I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most of the journey
> to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where I'm going properly
> which is a bit risky.
>
> Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming a
> hazard? I would take them off, but I cant see past the end of my arm clearly
> without them, so either way I'm a bit stuck!
>
> Your help would be most appreciated!
>
> Woady

You can prevent your glasses from fogging up on the inside of the
lenses by rubbing Renu (or similar) on them. Renu is one of those all
in one contact lens solutions. Really good for shaving mirrors in the
shower as well - fog simply will not stick to glass or clear plastic
treated with Renu.

Cheers, James

On 2005-08-24, Mac <[email protected]> wrote:

> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> there is stuff called ´rain off´ you can get from motorcycle shops.
>>
>> Theres a polish called ´mr sheen´ availiable in oz that works almost as
>> well. You must have something similiar

> Mr Sheen as in furniture polish? Will have to try these out.

Beware if you have coatings (high refractive index, anti-glare etc etc) on
your specs. Mr Sheen and other products may well damage such coatings;
certainly I get Dire Warnings from the opticians about cleaning my glasses
with anything other than plain tap water and a lens cloth.

Proper cycling specs with prescription inserts or lab safety spects might be
worth trying, then you can spray the cheap outer lenses with whatever you
like.

Regards,

-david

"Mac" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I was just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas about a slight
> problem I have when I ride to work in the rain. I wear specs and most
> of the journey to work is downhill so when it rains I cant see where
> I'm going properly which is a bit risky.
>
> Do you know of any liquid or such like that stops specs from becoming
> a hazard? I would take them off, but I cant see past the end of my
> arm clearly without them, so either way I'm a bit stuck!
>
> Your help would be most appreciated!

Since getting a/r coated lenses I find rain just drips straight off rather than
sticking, another benefit is that a/r helps you see better when it's not raining
as well.