UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cycling Proficiency test (or equivalent) for a 9 year old?

Started by Random · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,802 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
29 April 2004
Last activity
30 April 2004
Original author
Random
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,802
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I was a lad we took our bikes into school for a few
    days and learned how to deal with traffic, junctions, etc..
    and at the end we were tested and got a nice shiny badge,
    sticker and certificate. I can still remember vividly having
    to chicane around a set of traffic cones in the playground!

    I'm now a little older (33 to be precise) and my 9 year old
    daughter is enjoying cycling - She comes out with me at
    weekends and we cycle along the canal for miles. It's really
    enjoyable as it's quiet and peaceful (and flat). Kudos to
    the Industrial Revolution for generating the best cycle path
    in the world!

    Problem is, she needs some help with her "road skills" - I'm
    trying to teach her as best I can but I don't want her to
    pick up my bad habits.

    Anyways, her school don't seem to have any idea about cycle
    training so are there any groups/schemes in the East Lancs
    area (Blackburn/Accrington) who do this kind of thing? I'd
    like her to get some advice or training from someone who
    knows the rules and best practices for being safe and
    responsible.

    Any advice would be appreciated

    Cheers

    R

    p.s - I've got my 5 year old daughter to train next - She's
    only just got her first bike (without stabilisers I
    might add) and it'll take a few weeks before she's safe
    to go anywhere near a path let alone a road!

  2. Random said:


    .....my 9 year old daughter is enjoying cycling - She
    comes out with me at weekends and we cycle along the canal
    for miles. It's really enjoyable as it's quiet and
    peaceful (and flat).

    Problem is, she needs some help with her "road skills" -
    I'm trying to teach her as best I can but I don't want her
    to pick up my bad habits.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyways, her school don't seem to have any idea about
    cycle training so are there any groups/schemes in the East
    Lancs area (Blackburn/Accrington) who do this kind of
    thing? I'd like her to get some advice or training from
    someone who knows the rules and best practices for being
    safe and responsible.

    Any advice would be appreciated

    I would suggest you contact Greg Woodford at CTC HQ, the
    Cycle Training Officer.

    e-mail: [email hidden]

    A number of new intructors have recently qualified to
    deliver the new National Standard and there may very well be
    one in your area. If not I am sure he would be able to point
    you in the right direction. The National Standard is also
    far ahead of many of the local authority training schemes
    which give lip-service to cycling in order to be able

    quality of that training or either in content or standard of
    instruction.

    I am presently setting up a training scheme but I am afraid
    a 200 mile ride for your daughter to each session might just
    be a little too much ;-)

    Good luck. I hope you find somewhere.

    John B

  3. On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:24:39 +0100, "Random" <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:

    Anyways, her school don't seem to have any idea about cycle
    training so are there any groups/schemes in the East Lancs
    area (Blackburn/Accrington) who do this kind of thing? I'd
    like her to get some advice or training from someone who
    knows the rules and best practices for being safe and
    responsible.

    Best of luck. Oxfordshire CC run courses in the school
    holidays, which is where my elder son did his (aged 9), so
    it can happen if there's a will. Try the council, I guess.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  4. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:24:39 +0100, "Random"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message <40916483$0$20512$cc9e4d1f@news-
    text.dial.pipex.com>:

    Quoted message said:

    Anyways, her school don't seem to have any idea about
    cycle training so are there any groups/schemes in the
    East Lancs area (Blackburn/Accrington) who do this kind
    of thing? I'd like her to get some advice or training
    from someone who knows the rules and best practices for
    being safe and responsible.

    Best of luck. Oxfordshire CC run courses in the school
    holidays, which is where my elder son did his (aged 9), so
    it can happen if there's a will. Try the council, I guess.

    being allowed to ride in to scholl, but they require
    H******s to be worn ;-)

  5. I'm not sure about the schools covered by Blackburn with
    Darwen but Lancashire County Council runs a Passport to
    Safer Cycling scheme for young people.

    My dad did a trainer course to run it at the school he works
    at. I give him a hand with the course and have found it to
    be quite good. It's similar to the Cycling Proficiency
    courses that used to be about.

    Info at lancashire.gov.ukroadsafety
    /training/passport.asp

    Cheers

    Andy

    "Random" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:40916483$0$20512$cc9e4d1f@news-
    text.dial.pipex.com...

    Quoted message said:

    When I was a lad we took our bikes into school for a few
    days and learned how to deal with traffic, junctions,
    etc.. and at the end we were tested


    and

    Quoted message said:

    got a nice shiny badge, sticker and certificate. I can
    still remember vividly having to chicane around a set of
    traffic cones in the playground!

    I'm now a little older (33 to be precise) and my 9 year
    old daughter is enjoying cycling - She comes out with me
    at weekends and we cycle along


    the

    Quoted message said:

    canal for miles. It's really enjoyable as it's quiet and
    peaceful (and flat). Kudos to the Industrial Revolution
    for generating the best cycle path in


    the

    Quoted message said:

    world!

    Problem is, she needs some help with her "road skills" -
    I'm trying to


    teach

    Quoted message said:

    her as best I can but I don't want her to pick up my
    bad habits.

    Anyways, her school don't seem to have any idea about
    cycle training so


    are

    Quoted message said:

    there any groups/schemes in the East Lancs area
    (Blackburn/Accrington) who do this kind of thing? I'd like
    her to get some advice or training from someone who knows
    the rules and best practices for being safe and
    responsible.

    Any advice would be appreciated

    Cheers

    R

    p.s - I've got my 5 year old daughter to train next -
    She's only just got her first bike (without
    stabilisers I might add) and it'll take a few


    weeks

    Quoted message said:

    before she's safe to go anywhere near a path let
    alone a road!

  6. Nowhere near East Lancs I'm afraid.

    But out of interest, Greenwich Cyclists are working with a
    local school, Thomas a Beckett, to provide cycle training
    for year five pupils. The training will be done by
    professional trainers.

    I admit though that I haven't had much to do with it. One of
    the things we do want to do is have a regular programme of
    family rides at the weekends.

  7. On 30 Apr 2004 03:51:31 -0700 someone who may be
    [email hidden] (MartinM) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    being allowed to ride in to scholl, but they require
    H******s to be worn ;-)

    Do they take a similar interest "allowing" pupils to get to
    school by other means of transport?

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
    government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.