Cycling road trip

rfield54

Nov 1, 2009
I'm looking to get away from the Colorado snow this winter for a week (late January), and wanted someplace with daytime warm (or hot) temp's and with good road rides. Rides in the 50 to 100 mile range, and hills would be welcome. I'd rather not have to "survive" in traffic, so decent shoulders and/or bike-conscious drivers would be a plus (maybe that's asking a bit much). One place I'm curious about is Death Valley NP, but the San Diego area is also a possibility as I have a close friend there. I'll probably drive, but I would consider flying. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance.

I will be in San Francisco in late December. I expect to find local rides with significant climbs to do.

I expect that Death Valley and Southern California will be good for you.

Tucson, Arizona. Loads of cyclists. Loads of wide shouldered roads. Loads of climbs of all sorts: steep, long, long and steep-ish, and so on. Loads of bike shops. As it happens riding in winter is great here. Hell, I can't even remember the last time it was 110°F in winter. As a bonus, it's significantly less expensive to live or visit here than the west coast.

Thanks for the replies. If I decide to drive, Tucson is on my short list. I'm also thinking about maybe two days in the Vegas area (Valley of Fire?), and then over to Death Valley for four or so.