Cycling route through Derby

Nigel Randell

Guest
Does anyone know of a website which has a map of the cycle paths through
Derby? I saw one a while ago but didn't bookmark it and haven't been able
to find it since. I am interested in reasonable routes from the B6179
Kilburn/Little Eaton through London Road (Station/DRI area) and I really
don't fancy the Pentagon or **** Pitt on a bike.

Thanks

--
Nigel Randell

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:31:38 +0100, "Nigel Randell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a website which has a map of the cycle paths through
>Derby? I saw one a while ago but didn't bookmark it and haven't been able
>to find it since. I am interested in reasonable routes from the B6179
>Kilburn/Little Eaton through London Road (Station/DRI area) and I really
>don't fancy the Pentagon or **** Pitt on a bike.

The city council produce a map showing all the cycle lanes (current
and planned) around the city centre. The one I pored over a year or so
back made for depressing reading as it showed just how abysmal the
facilities are here in Derby. I understand though that the new updated
version has just been printed, perhaps things have improved.

Apparently you can collect a copy from the council house in town or if
you ring these nice people - 01332 715017 - they will drop one in the
post for you.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

Nigel Randell wrote:
> Does anyone know of a website which has a map of the cycle paths
> through Derby? I saw one a while ago but didn't bookmark it and
> haven't been able to find it since. I am interested in reasonable
> routes from the B6179 Kilburn/Little Eaton through London Road
> (Station/DRI area) and I really don't fancy the Pentagon or **** Pitt
> on a bike.
>
> Thanks

There are two maps available - one from the council, which doesn't quite
join up all the paths, and one from the Derby Cycling Group which is better,
but dates from 1998 (although as they say, 'change happens very slowly in
Derby'!)

You can order the DCG one from the website, but you can't view it online
because of copyright reasons with the Ordnance Survey.

HTH,

Pete.

The Sustrans website has an interactive viewer. Although it focusses o
the National Cycle Network, it shows the local paths as well

National Route 54 links Little Eaton to Derby City Centre. This join
with local routes that will take you around the Cosckpit to th
Station/Hospital. It also joins onto National Route 6 which takes you t
Nottingham (going north) or Melbourne (going south

http://www.sustrans.co.uk/webcode/defaultmap.asp

I am a Sustrans Ranger for Route 6 and I would be happy to help with an
questions you might hav

-

I normally follow the cycle route.Little Eaton Alfreton road off road
path to the crossing lights west of the A38 roundabout,shared path
south to next junction(scary narrow pavement but less scary than the
dual cariageway),right onto Alfreton road right onto Haslams lane then
left after the rugby club into the park, follow the paths next to the
river to the next bridge, cross to west bank , south along river side
to the county offices, most people walk 50yards there along the east
face of the building and cycle through the park along the west bank
towards the station.use the bridge next to the river to get under the
ring road.There are the usual sign posts for bikes. You may turn right
before the station for DRI by the backstreets or carry on the main
road to hit London Rd.
If you do not want to go through the park carry on Alfreton road and
Mansfield road to the under pass under st alkmunds way to Pheonix st
Then go right to the council offices from where I would still use the
off road paths and avoid the big roundabout.

TerryJ

"Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I normally follow the cycle route.Little Eaton Alfreton road off road
> path to the crossing lights west of the A38 roundabout,shared path
> south to next junction(scary narrow pavement but less scary than the
> dual cariageway),right onto Alfreton road right onto Haslams lane then
> left after the rugby club into the park, follow the paths next to the
> river to the next bridge, cross to west bank , south along river side
> to the county offices, most people walk 50yards there along the east
> face of the building and cycle through the park along the west bank
> towards the station.use the bridge next to the river to get under the
> ring road.There are the usual sign posts for bikes. You may turn right
> before the station for DRI by the backstreets or carry on the main
> road to hit London Rd.
> If you do not want to go through the park carry on Alfreton road and
> Mansfield road to the under pass under st alkmunds way to Pheonix st
> Then go right to the council offices from where I would still use the
> off road paths and avoid the big roundabout.
>
> TerryJ

Thanks for that. I'll have to print this and take it with me when I try the
route out

--
Nigel Randell