Cycling route through Derby

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nigel Randell, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Does anyone know of a website which has a map of the cycle paths through
    Derby? I saw one a while ago but didn't bookmark it and haven't been able
    to find it since. I am interested in reasonable routes from the B6179
    Kilburn/Little Eaton through London Road (Station/DRI area) and I really
    don't fancy the Pentagon or Cock Pitt on a bike.

    Thanks

    --
    Nigel Randell

    Tags:

  2. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:31:38 +0100, "Nigel Randell"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a website which has a map of the cycle paths through
    >Derby? I saw one a while ago but didn't bookmark it and haven't been able
    >to find it since. I am interested in reasonable routes from the B6179
    >Kilburn/Little Eaton through London Road (Station/DRI area) and I really
    >don't fancy the Pentagon or Cock Pitt on a bike.

    The city council produce a map showing all the cycle lanes (current
    and planned) around the city centre. The one I pored over a year or so
    back made for depressing reading as it showed just how abysmal the
    facilities are here in Derby. I understand though that the new updated
    version has just been printed, perhaps things have improved.

    Apparently you can collect a copy from the council house in town or if
    you ring these nice people - 01332 715017 - they will drop one in the
    post for you.
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the bastards'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  3. Nigel Randell wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a website which has a map of the cycle paths
    > through Derby? I saw one a while ago but didn't bookmark it and
    > haven't been able to find it since. I am interested in reasonable
    > routes from the B6179 Kilburn/Little Eaton through London Road
    > (Station/DRI area) and I really don't fancy the Pentagon or Cock Pitt
    > on a bike.
    >
    > Thanks

    There are two maps available - one from the council, which doesn't quite
    join up all the paths, and one from the Derby Cycling Group which is better,
    but dates from 1998 (although as they say, 'change happens very slowly in
    Derby'!)

    You can order the DCG one from the website, but you can't view it online
    because of copyright reasons with the Ordnance Survey.

    HTH,

    Pete.

  4. The Sustrans website has an interactive viewer. Although it focusses o
    the National Cycle Network, it shows the local paths as well

    National Route 54 links Little Eaton to Derby City Centre. This join
    with local routes that will take you around the Cosckpit to th
    Station/Hospital. It also joins onto National Route 6 which takes you t
    Nottingham (going north) or Melbourne (going south

    http://www.sustrans.co.uk/webcode/defaultmap.asp

    I am a Sustrans Ranger for Route 6 and I would be happy to help with an
    questions you might hav

    -

  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I normally follow the cycle route.Little Eaton Alfreton road off road
    path to the crossing lights west of the A38 roundabout,shared path
    south to next junction(scary narrow pavement but less scary than the
    dual cariageway),right onto Alfreton road right onto Haslams lane then
    left after the rugby club into the park, follow the paths next to the
    river to the next bridge, cross to west bank , south along river side
    to the county offices, most people walk 50yards there along the east
    face of the building and cycle through the park along the west bank
    towards the station.use the bridge next to the river to get under the
    ring road.There are the usual sign posts for bikes. You may turn right
    before the station for DRI by the backstreets or carry on the main
    road to hit London Rd.
    If you do not want to go through the park carry on Alfreton road and
    Mansfield road to the under pass under st alkmunds way to Pheonix st
    Then go right to the council offices from where I would still use the
    off road paths and avoid the big roundabout.

    TerryJ

  6. "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I normally follow the cycle route.Little Eaton Alfreton road off road
    > path to the crossing lights west of the A38 roundabout,shared path
    > south to next junction(scary narrow pavement but less scary than the
    > dual cariageway),right onto Alfreton road right onto Haslams lane then
    > left after the rugby club into the park, follow the paths next to the
    > river to the next bridge, cross to west bank , south along river side
    > to the county offices, most people walk 50yards there along the east
    > face of the building and cycle through the park along the west bank
    > towards the station.use the bridge next to the river to get under the
    > ring road.There are the usual sign posts for bikes. You may turn right
    > before the station for DRI by the backstreets or carry on the main
    > road to hit London Rd.
    > If you do not want to go through the park carry on Alfreton road and
    > Mansfield road to the under pass under st alkmunds way to Pheonix st
    > Then go right to the council offices from where I would still use the
    > off road paths and avoid the big roundabout.
    >
    > TerryJ

    Thanks for that. I'll have to print this and take it with me when I try the
    route out

    --
    Nigel Randell