Hey everyone, I am new to cycling and to the forum. I started because my car broke down and I needed transportation, then I realized I love it and its a great way to lose weight! I am overweight (5'10 and 210 or 220lbs) so I have trouble with hills and going long distances. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for cycling or dieting, the right times to eat, etc..
Also, I purchased a Trek 820 for 262 US dollars from a bike shop. Did I get ripped off, and how good of a bike is it? I heard Trek makes quality bikes so I decided to try them out.
Thanks in advance!
Cycling Training · Public discussion
Cycling to Lose Weight.
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Training
- Published
- 16 August 2006
- Last activity
- 17 August 2006
- Original author
- fcdrifter127
- Posts
- 9
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,705
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Just spend time on the bike, make a few diet modifications, cut out sodas, eath healthy snacks, and reduce meal portions on the pounds will begin to disappear. I have never found anything that will help you drop weight quicker than cycling.
-
I was 215 lbs last November. I'm 170 lbs now, due to dieting and biking. My goal was 5 lbs ago, but I'm going for another 10. Cycling is definitely (in my book) the fastest/easiest/most fun way to burn lots and lots of calories. Just count your calories, don't go over your limits, and make sure you're burning more than you eat. The weight will come off.
As far as the value of your bike goes, it's kind of hard to say. There are plenty of new bikes that don't cost much more. Treks are good (I ride one), but they only make the frame. The rest is made by someone else. If you paid a few extra bucks and got a shop that will help you with adjustments, you probably got a good deal. Now quit second-guessing it, forget about equipment, and ride!
-
Hello,
I am in a similar situation 5'10" 210 lbs and cycling to lose weight. I have been cycling for the past 2 weeks using a heart rate monitor and cycling at 60-70% MHR.
I enjoy it and try to cycle for at least an hour every evening. I have cut back my diet but I haven’t seen any weight coming off.
Should I see some weight loss now or will it take a few weeks to kick in? Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice welcome
Thanks
-
Hello,
I am in a similar situation 5'10" 210 lbs and cycling to lose weight. I have been cycling for the past 2 weeks using a heart rate monitor and cycling at 60-70% MHR.
I enjoy it and try to cycle for at least an hour every evening. I have cut back my diet but I haven’t seen any weight coming off.
Should I see some weight loss now or will it take a few weeks to kick in? Am I doing something wrong?
Any advice welcome
-
pedalsquares said:
I was 215 lbs last November. I'm 170 lbs now, due to dieting and biking. My goal was 5 lbs ago, but I'm going for another 10. Cycling is definitely (in my book) the fastest/easiest/most fun way to burn lots and lots of calories. Just count your calories, don't go over your limits, and make sure you're burning more than you eat. The weight will come off.
I'm 5'8", was 220 lbs in May, and have dropped to 190. I am trying to eat less high-sugar foods, eating healthier snacks and smaller meal portions at night. I'm not counting calories at all. I've been consistently losing 1 to 2 lbs per week, following the initial quick loss of about 10 lbs. I hope I'm able to sustain this and keep the weight going down. I'd love to get down around 170 lbs. Congratulations!
Initially the hills were pretty tough. Now, just bring on the hills! I love 'em.
-
fcdrifter127 said:
Hey everyone, I am new to cycling and to the forum. I started because my car broke down and I needed transportation, then I realized I love it and its a great way to lose weight! I am overweight (5'10 and 210 or 220lbs) so I have trouble with hills and going long distances. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for cycling or dieting, the right times to eat, etc..
Also, I purchased a Trek 820 for 262 US dollars from a bike shop. Did I get ripped off, and how good of a bike is it? I heard Trek makes quality bikes so I decided to try them out.
Thanks in advance!
I got back into cycling June 1 to drop weight and get more fit. I started at 6' 1", 264. I've now logged nearly 500 miles, and also changed my eating habits drastically. Cut out virtually all fast food, and changed to a much healthier, lower-fat diet: salads instead of burgers, pasta with marinara sauce instead of sausage & onions, yogurt, fruit & oatmeal instead of omelets and bacon.I'm now down to 243, and still dropping.
-
just keep riding. I am 5'8.160lb and i started at 165 3 weeks ago. My goal is not in weight but in body fat%. I would like to get back down to 4-6% body fat. When i was cycling a while ago and to me it but i am only 21. I was 3%, now i am fat and i am slowly getting ot my goal by Jan.
-
Hi all, yes cycling is a very good way to lose those unwanted pounds. In fact its probably the best. But remember, that its about tapping into the calories that you would normally store from no exercise. So a good controled diet with some long slow distance work on the bike, not worrying about speed or distance, just ride for time. So build up the hours and the wieght will come off. The difficult part is exercise makes you hungry 🙄 , but dont give into the late night fridge raids. Instead change everything for natural food/snacks. My motto is if it ain't grown then i dont eat it😄 . Then you could look at when you ride. My favourite is to go out at 11 in the morning i may ride for a few hours or more the latest i will get back is four, but what i have done is missed one of the main meals in the day, dinner. Instead i will eat on the bike, a few power bars perhaps some bananas, and loads of fluids, mainly water though when im slimming down for the racing season. Good luck
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.