UK and Europe · Public discussion

cycling tour in U.K.

Started by onl5923 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 353 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
24 May 2004
Original author
onl5923
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
353
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello everyone

    I recently joined this forum. My name is peter 45 and from Belgium.
    have plans to cylce in the U.K. somewhere in 2005 2006 depending o
    preparations

    My aim at first is to cycle from Dover to Cirencester or Swindon
    hopefully via scenic and cycle friendly routes

    This is my question(s) to you all: is there a good route (singposted
    where I can cycle safely? Where can I find any information on B&B
    things to see....

    And maybe most important: what can I expect from car drivers whil
    travelling with my bike

    Thank you very much !

    Pete

    -

  2. On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:43:29 GMT someone who may be onl5923
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    This is my question(s) to you all: is there a good route (singposted)
    where I can cycle safely? Where can I find any information on B&B,
    things to see.....

    http://www.sustrans.org.uk is a good place to start for long
    distance leisure journeys in the UK.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Hello everyone,

    I recently joined this forum. My name is peter 45 and from Belgium. I
    have plans to cylce in the U.K. somewhere in 2005 2006 depending on
    preparations.

    My aim at first is to cycle from Dover to Cirencester or Swindon,
    hopefully via scenic and cycle friendly routes.

    This is my question(s) to you all: is there a good route (singposted)
    where I can cycle safely? Where can I find any information on B&B,
    things to see.....

    And maybe most important: what can I expect from car drivers while
    travelling with my bike.

    Thank you very much !!

    Peter

    Hello Peter from Belgium :-)

    You've already been told about Sustrans. You can buy maps from them which show
    their cycle routes. Quality of Sustrans routes is *variable* in terms of
    surface and also the routes can be very ah, less than direct from A to B.

    B&B etc -
    have a look at
    http://www.visitengland.com/

    Quoted message said:

    And maybe most important: what can I expect from car drivers while
    travelling with my bike.

    Most aren't out to get you ;-)
    Seriously - remember we drive on the left-hand side of the road here, so we
    also cycle on the left-hand side of the road.

    Key to remember - you have a right to cycle on the road but for a few
    exceptions.

    You must not cycle on a motorway - a road identified by it's "M" naming, e.g.
    M3, M25, M4

    "A" roads can be difficult to identify as reasonable to cycle on without local
    knowledge. Some can be motorways in all but name, some can be filled with
    fast-moving traffic, others can be perfectly fine to cycle on.

    "B" roads are usually quieter but again, local knowledge helps.

    There's many a lovely quiet country lane too.

    The main cyclists' organisation in the UK is the Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC).
    It has a web site at www.ctc.org.uk It may be worth contacting the CTC to see
    if they can offer any help either directly, or by putting you in contact with
    local CTC groups in your area of travel, who may be able to offer good advice
    based on local experience.

    I hope this helps and that you have an enjoyable trip over here.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--

  4. onl5923 said:

    Hello everyone,

    I recently joined this forum. My name is peter 45 and from Belgium. I
    have plans to cylce in the U.K. somewhere in 2005 2006 depending on
    preparations.

    My aim at first is to cycle from Dover to Cirencester or Swindon,
    hopefully via scenic and cycle friendly routes.

    This is my question(s) to you all: is there a good route (singposted)
    where I can cycle safely? Where can I find any information on B&B,
    things to see.....

    And maybe most important: what can I expect from car drivers while
    travelling with my bike.

    I live just south east of Swindon and I can give you a couple of routes
    from Swindon to Cirencester as I do it regularly. The most obvious
    route - the A419 dual carriageway - is not pleasant!

    Sustrans paths are not always tarmac and most are only suitable for
    mountain bikes. I would get a map and stick to unclassified roads
    (those with no numbering). If you're in the Swindon area you MUST visit
    Avebury, which is 8 miles to the south. Do a Google search for it.

    British drivers are not as tolerant of cyclists as French drivers (for
    example), but few are really dangerous. Ride about a metre out from the
    (left hand!) kerb, then if you sense that a vehicle is passing too close
    you have room for manoeuvre. But you probably know that already ;-)

  5. Thanks for your comments everyone. We do love to spend our holidays i
    the U.K. but only done it by car sofar and it is time for a change

    Zog I've been to the Royal Air Tattoo every yearsince 1989. Being fro
    Swindon you will no doubt know this is held at RAF Fairford

    Well my aim is to cycle from Dover to Fairford or any place in the are
    where I will be staying. I usually stay in Great Rissington, close t
    Burford but been to Swindon many times before. I'll keep the left han
    drive comments in mind :

    Any other comments on cycling in the U.K. would also be welcome

    -

  6. "David Hansen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:43:29 GMT someone who may be onl5923
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    This is my question(s) to you all: is there a good route (singposted)
    where I can cycle safely? Where can I find any information on B&B,
    things to see.....

    http://www.sustrans.org.uk is a good place to start for long
    distance leisure journeys in the UK.

    Sustrans routes can be good, but they also have drawbacks, and many long
    distance tourists prefer the roads.

    An even better place is the CTC (Cyclists' Touring Club)
    www.ctc.org.uk
    which provides information, routes, lists of places to stay, third party
    insurance and lots more, and a warm welcome from local members who are
    usually only too willing to pass on their knowledge of local roads.

    --
    cheers

    Rich

    Quoted message said:

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.