UK and Europe · Public discussion

Cyclist Discrimination?

Started by SG · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,111 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 February 2005
Last activity
23 February 2005
Original author
SG
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,111
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Richard said:

    In my workplace they are banned from the buildings on safety grounds,

    Quoted message said:

    the reasoning being that if they were being wheeled through a


    corridor

    Quoted message said:

    when the fire alarm went off...

    Then they'd continue to be wheeled, only towards the exit. What sort of
    an evacuation are they planning for, an orderly march out of the
    building or a mass scramble?

    --
    Dave...

  2. dkahn400 said:
    Richard said:

    In my workplace they are banned from the buildings on safety grounds,

    Quoted message said:

    the reasoning being that if they were being wheeled through a

    corridor

    Quoted message said:

    when the fire alarm went off...

    Then they'd continue to be wheeled, only towards the exit. What sort of
    an evacuation are they planning for, an orderly march out of the
    building or a mass scramble?

    That's fine if the entire building is one floor, but it's not. So if
    you're not in or near your office and you're not on the ground floor,
    you have to abandon the bike somewhere and pray it doesn't fall over in
    the way, or try and lug it down the stairs with ~900 people which won't
    make you at all popular.

    R.

  3. "half-baked" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    wafflycat said:

    It's hardly illegal and it's not a standard tenancy term that bicycles
    aren't allowed inside a property.

    Actually, yes it does tend to be.

    Actually, it's non-standard. A landlord can basically put in what he or she
    wants into a tenancy, but clauses have to be reasonable. So a landlord can
    put it in, but I seriously doubt it would have any real weight to it. After
    all, owning a bicycle is an entirely normal thing to do and it's entirely
    legal and it's not that huge. A tenant is entitled to what is known as
    'quiet enjoyment' of the property once he or she is in it. This doesn't mean
    silence, but it does mean the landlord has to allow the tenant a normal
    life.

    Quoted message said:

    And while generally it will be one of those clauses which no-one's going
    to know if you break, when it comes to reclaiming your deposit, if the
    landlord/agent notices plenty of rubber scuff marks on the floor/wall
    questions will be asked and money withheld ...

    That stands true as regards damage however it is caused - as I put in my
    original posting on this. If you haven't caused any damage, there is no
    problem. I can understand landlords who do student lets having such clauses
    in as in general terms, students are seen as being less than caring about
    not damaging the place they live in, but on a normal let, it's a paranoid
    landlord/agent who puts such a clause in a tenancy.

    Cheers, helen s
    (who has been a non-paranoid landlord...)

  4. SG said:

    Hi all,
    For job reasons I have to move into town which means moving away from
    my house with its shed where my 3 bikes are kept. I at least want to
    keep 2 of them (road and mountain bikes). I have now rung up several
    landlords, letting agencies and the like sating that one of my primary
    concerns is a secure lock-up or room for my bikes in the house is a
    must. Most have said, "There's a railing outside you can tie it too"!
    My bikes are worth over £1000 each a bit much to be left in the road.
    Furthermore, they fail to see that the bikes should be kept inside
    where no security can be made available. The landpeople seem to think
    a bike should be kept outside.
    Anyone else come across this? It possibly means that the only places
    available to me are ones with garages which in a city would attract a
    higher premium and would also be rare.

    Thanks
    Sam

    keep them indoors in a couple of duvet covers, Clean and tidy then.

  5. Not Responding said:

    Primarily, I have a genuine interest in urban design. The cycle storage
    bit is exactly as you say, a sort of subversive promotion of cycling
    requirements. I want developers to *want* to provide cycle parking
    rather than see it as an onerous requirement of the planning authority.

    Interestingly, while wandering past one of the many newish blocks of
    flats (All quite up-market developments) in Leith, I noticed that in
    addition to the car-parking space there was a locked and roofed bike
    rack. Not totally enclosed, but impressive none-the-less. Especially as
    it had capacity for at least 30 bikes (Most seemed unused, but this was
    lunch time!).

    Quoted message said:

    I have no interest in moving house. I took this house when I married 12
    years ago and have every intention of pegging out here.

    I on the other hand have just moved (Renting so it's a little easier)
    and have many more moves planned before I consider settling! :-)

    Jon

  6. You touched a nerver there, big time!

    I live in London, in a nice block of flats in Stockwell. Last year the
    administrators/owners did some refurbishments in the building, and in the
    speicifications, a bike shed/rack were included. They changed their minds
    for some reason - well, for money, obviously. After that, they had the
    nerve to threaten us cyclists here with the removal of our bikes if they
    were left in "common parts". Most flats here are quite small - mine is
    small 1 bedroom flat. Space is a bit of a problem, and I'm supposed to keep
    a bike in my livingroom. My big argument, which is falling on deaf ears, is
    that when it rains and I come back from work with a wet bicycle, there's no
    way in hell I'm going to wheel it in - ruining the carpet. But if I leave it
    outside, I'll have it nicked by these people.

    I feel their attitude is bordering on harrassment. Am I wrong?

    --
    Vivian
    -------
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
    No Surrender

    "SG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    For job reasons I have to move into town which means moving away from
    my house with its shed where my 3 bikes are kept. I at least want to
    keep 2 of them (road and mountain bikes). I have now rung up several
    landlords, letting agencies and the like sating that one of my primary
    concerns is a secure lock-up or room for my bikes in the house is a
    must. Most have said, "There's a railing outside you can tie it too"!
    My bikes are worth over £1000 each a bit much to be left in the road.
    Furthermore, they fail to see that the bikes should be kept inside
    where no security can be made available. The landpeople seem to think
    a bike should be kept outside.
    Anyone else come across this? It possibly means that the only places
    available to me are ones with garages which in a city would attract a
    higher premium and would also be rare.

    Thanks
    Sam

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.