Cyclocomputers.

GabrielS

Aug 19, 2003
What is wrong with them? All of them have one feature or aspect that you love and then they throw in 5 things that makes you not want to buy it. From $15 to $200, they all seem like trash to me. Either the displays are too small, the casing around it too large, or the interface too idiotic.

Is there any cyclocomputer out there that can provide this:
A small form-factor casing, a la the Cateye Mity 3
Display Temperature, Speed, Clock, Ride Time, Avg, Max, Odo, Trp, and those other basic functions.
Have a backlight so you can see it at night.
Wireless

It does not have to be wireless, but at least give me the first few things. The closest ones to this are the Planet Bike Protege 9.0 and the Specialized SpeedZone Comp. The PB 9.0 then ruins it by not supplying a back light or being wireless, and outfitting it in this cliche translucent Apple iMac blue ****. Specialized gets it awards by shaping theirs like some sort of mall parking lot security guard badge, with awkward curves and bubbles, and making the screen large enough that you will need to squint to read anything.

Hear my cries, Cateye, Ciclosport, one of you... get me a good cyclocomputer, no matter the price!

My Trek Fusion does all that but the temperature. That is a feature I never wanted, so the Fusion does everything I want it to.

It has one useless function, the day/date display. But all the rest, time, ride time, instantaneous speed, average speed, top speed, trip distance, and odometer.

It is wired and cost $30. There is a wireless one, but I don't know the cost.

Originally posted by Babbar
My Trek Fusion does all that but the temperature. That is a feature I never wanted, so the Fusion does everything I want it to.

It has one useless function, the day/date display. But all the rest, time, ride time, instantaneous speed, average speed, top speed, trip distance, and odometer.

It is wired and cost $30. There is a wireless one, but I don't know the cost.

Does it have a backlight though?

Originally posted by GabrielS
Does it have a backlight though?

Don't think so. I never ride at night, so I haven't needed one yet. "They" (I have seen it on Colorado Cyclist catalog) make a bracket with a light for computers, though.

I have seen that bracket, it is embarrassing that they'd mass produce that ****. I ride at night a lot, and a lot of times intoxicated so, for me it would be much loved.

I have the Specialized Festina Pro on one bike and the Specialized P-Brain on the other. Both are great computers. I love being able to tell how steep a hill is with the Pro. The P-Brain has a built in heart rate monitor. No problems with either one. The pro has a really nice back light in it. I still have a Avocet 50 for a back up. Good luck with your decision.

HAC4...backlit, wireless except for cadence function, hrm, temperature, time, speed, odo, trip, incline, averages max min for all the above...slices, dices, juliennes...no kitchen sink though

Originally posted by Babbar
Don't think so. I never ride at night, so I haven't needed one yet. "They" (I have seen it on Colorado Cyclist catalog) make a bracket with a light for computers, though.

I tried that light. I used it on one night ride. It doesn't light up enough of an area to make it useful. I was using it on a Planetbike with a multiline display and it would only light up about 2 lines. I wouldn't recommend it.