Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Cyclomters make lousy clocks

Started by Duncan Farrow · · Last activity · 11 posts · 654 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
20 December 2004
Last activity
21 December 2004
Original author
Duncan Farrow
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
654
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've had several cyclometers over the years (Avocet and Cat-Eye).

    All of them have been lousy at keeping good time - they seem to
    lose/gain minutes per week. I've got clocks built into my cars,
    oven, radios, videos, pen-holders, phones (fixed and mobile),
    computers, PDAs, etc. They all keep pretty good time. Even my
    daughter's Bali Barbie watch keeps better time.

    What is it with bike computers?

    Duncan.

  2. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 at 08:51 GMT, Duncan Farrow (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had several cyclometers over the years (Avocet and Cat-Eye).

    All of them have been lousy at keeping good time - they seem to
    lose/gain minutes per week. I've got clocks built into my cars,
    oven, radios, videos, pen-holders, phones (fixed and mobile),
    computers, PDAs, etc. They all keep pretty good time. Even my
    daughter's Bali Barbie watch keeps better time.

    What is it with bike computers?

    Inside a crystal, is a tiny little pendulum, (I'm guessing nanometers
    in dimension). This vibrates, and opens and closes a contact millions
    of times per second.

    I reckon that every time you go over a bump, the pendulum goes swaying
    a bit, and might close a few times extra, maybe every second 🙂

    No maybe that might not work...

    Good question anyway - I noticed that my clock was off by a fair
    amount over the week of the GVBR, and it was rather important (not!)
    given that it was my only source of time.

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
    Calm down, it's *only* ones and zeroes.

  3. TimC said:

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 at 08:51 GMT, Duncan Farrow (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I've had several cyclometers over the years (Avocet and Cat-Eye).

    All of them have been lousy at keeping good time - they seem to
    lose/gain minutes per week. I've got clocks built into my cars,
    oven, radios, videos, pen-holders, phones (fixed and mobile),
    computers, PDAs, etc. They all keep pretty good time. Even my
    daughter's Bali Barbie watch keeps better time.

    What is it with bike computers?

    Inside a crystal, is a tiny little pendulum, (I'm guessing nanometers
    in dimension). This vibrates, and opens and closes a contact millions
    of times per second.

    Nah. It's dwarves, you see -- tiny dwarves. The same guys that do the
    light in your fridge. They don't like getting bumped around, so they
    protest, by going a little bit faster sometimes, or a little bit slower.
    Depends on the type of dwarf, y'see.

    Quoted message said:

    Good question anyway - I noticed that my clock was off by a fair
    amount over the week of the GVBR, and it was rather important (not!)
    given that it was my only source of time.

    I had my watch with me; did the job quite nicely. To be fair, you could
    easily get by without -- the noise of those around me stirring in the
    pre-dawn light was generally enough to get me up and about five or ten
    minutes before the time I'd set my alarm to.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  4. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 at 10:03 GMT, TimC (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Inside a crystal, is a tiny little pendulum, (I'm guessing nanometers
    in dimension). This vibrates, and opens and closes a contact millions
    of times per second.

    Heh. I lie, by several orders of magnitude in both cases:

    http://physics.csustan.edu/HowThingsWork/Topics/Clocks/QuartzCrystalClock.ppt

    Yeah, sorry, it's a power point presentation (ick -- at least we have
    openoffice now). 32768 Hz is the frequency used in quartz clocks
    (divide by 2, 15 times to get 1 tick per second). And that ppt file
    has a picture of a crystal of the right size. Suprisingly
    large. Certainly macroscopically large. I can certainly see that being
    affected by outside influences. Do the clocks become more accurate
    when stationary?

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.
    -- Robert R. Coveyou, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

  5. TimC said:

    Do the clocks become more accurate when stationary?

    Shock only really affects life. That is, enough shock will crack it, and
    therefore stop it from working.

    The major factor affecting crystal accuracy is temperature.

    Wrist watches that are always worn, are very stable, because your body
    temperature tends to insulate it somewhat from ambient variations.

    Your average bike computer that is exposed to everything from helmet-melting
    hot days, to ball-numbing cold mornings, does the best it can under the
    circumstances.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

  6. "TimC" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    affected by outside influences. Do the clocks become more accurate
    when stationary?

    Well, it is safe to say stationary clocks are less affected by relativistic
    influences.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  7. On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 at 10:56 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    "TimC" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    affected by outside influences. Do the clocks become more accurate
    when stationary?

    Well, it is safe to say stationary clocks are less affected by relativistic
    influences.

    So they probably are slowing down for those people flying down that
    hill at 92 km/h, then?

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
    "If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise,
    find someone who is standing closer to Douglas Hofstadter than you are; then
    ask him or her what recursion is." -- Andrew "Zarf" Plotkin

  8. "TimC" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 at 10:56 GMT, DRS (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    "TimC" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    affected by outside influences. Do the clocks become more accurate
    when stationary?

    Well, it is safe to say stationary clocks are less affected by
    relativistic influences.

    So they probably are slowing down for those people flying down that
    hill at 92 km/h, then?

    The probability of relativistic dilation = 1.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  9. Duncan Farrow said:

    I've had several cyclometers over the years (Avocet and Cat-Eye).

    All of them have been lousy at keeping good time - they seem to
    lose/gain minutes per week. I've got clocks built into my cars,
    oven, radios, videos, pen-holders, phones (fixed and mobile),
    computers, PDAs, etc. They all keep pretty good time. Even my
    daughter's Bali Barbie watch keeps better time.

    What is it with bike computers?

    Duncan.

    My Cateyes, Sigmas and Flightdeck have all kept time well enough for me not to notice. At least 7 computers over the years.

  10. Duncan Farrow said:

    I've had several cyclometers over the years (Avocet and Cat-Eye).

    All of them have been lousy at keeping good time - they seem to
    lose/gain minutes per week. I've got clocks built into my cars,
    oven, radios, videos, pen-holders, phones (fixed and mobile),
    computers, PDAs, etc. They all keep pretty good time. Even my
    daughter's Bali Barbie watch keeps better time.

    What is it with bike computers?

    I've never had this problem, I've had a cat eye computer which kept
    great time, and I've now got a Shimano flight deck, which has kept to
    within 10 seconds from the time source I originaly set it from 12 months
    ago. Must be a bit of luck involve perhaps

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
    | Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
    | Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  11. Duncan Farrow said:

    I've had several cyclometers over the years (Avocet and Cat-Eye).

    All of them have been lousy at keeping good time - they seem to
    lose/gain minutes per week. Even my
    daughter's Bali Barbie watch keeps better time.

    I grew up in a different era and have a different concept on time. My first
    watch was a 'cheapie' which cost me most of a week's pay, needed to be wound
    up every morning, and was accurate to about three minutes a day. Most
    watches and clocks were like that. I'm still amazed that modern clocks and
    watches almost never need to be checked. But then, if it's within five
    minutes, I don't care.

    Theo

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.