DA wheel creak (WH-7700)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sparks, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    my rear DA wheel has been acting up here's the symptom: when I stand and put alot of torque on the
    pedals I get a creak coming from the rear hub area. Only happens once in a while. The spokes all
    feel the same tension...anything else I should check?

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Is the rim cracking? Is there a crack in the frame near the dropout?

    "Sparks" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > my rear DA wheel has been acting up here's the symptom: when I stand and put alot of torque on the
    > pedals I get a creak coming from the rear hub area. Only happens once in a while. The spokes all
    > feel the same tension...anything else I should check?

  3. Kapers

    Kapers Guest

    Hey. Return to your LBS post-haste and have them inspect it thoroughly. I once had a customer return
    with a cheaper cassette wheel several times with noise problems that were mis-diagnosed (not loose
    cogs, not dust seal rubbing, not bent axle...etc). It wasn't until the tech actually opened the hub
    AND cleaned the bearing races/bearings that I could peek over his shoulder and suggest that the
    noise would go away once he tightened the cassette body bolt enough that it no longer rubbed on the
    bearings....sheesh. Have them check the bolt... might be a wee bit loose (creaks = wee bit... sound
    of a coarse file across tin sheet = rubbing the bearings/way loose). Good luck. Keith.

    * *
    * "The knack lies in learning to throw yourself *
    * -at the ground and miss" *
    * D. Adams. *

    news:[email protected]...