Road Cycling · Public discussion

Damn that was a fine stage

Started by Robert Chung · · Last activity · 81 posts · 2,647 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 May 2005
Last activity
2 June 2005
Original author
Robert Chung
Posts
81
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,647
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 81
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. DiLuca and Simoni went down swinging for the fences. Savoldelli owes
    Lotto. Rujano drives me nuts.

  2. Robert Chung said:

    DiLuca and Simoni went down swinging for the fences. Savoldelli owes
    Lotto. Rujano drives me nuts.

    Your Frenchy charts drive me nuts!
    But do you hear me complaining??

  3. Robert Chung said:

    Savoldelli owes Lotto.

    Discovery owes Lotto. When the going gets tough,
    the tough go shopping.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]

  4. Bob Schwartz said:
    Robert Chung said:

    Savoldelli owes Lotto.

    Discovery owes Lotto. When the going gets tough,
    the tough go shopping.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]


    My thoughts entirely. Discovery are going to have to pay that one
    back. BTW the British Eurosport comentators were quite scathing about
    the lack of team mates available to give him support, not just on this
    stage but generally.

    Stan Cox

  5. Stan Cox said:
    Bob Schwartz said:
    Robert Chung said:

    Savoldelli owes Lotto.

    Discovery owes Lotto. When the going gets tough,
    the tough go shopping.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]


    My thoughts entirely. Discovery are going to have to pay that one
    back. BTW the British Eurosport comentators were quite scathing about
    the lack of team mates available to give him support, not just on this
    stage but generally.

    That's what happens when you fill out your roster with lunch meat.

  6. Robert Chung said:
    Stan Cox said:
    Bob Schwartz said:

    Discovery owes Lotto. When the going gets tough,
    the tough go shopping.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My thoughts entirely. Discovery are going to have to pay that one
    back. BTW the British Eurosport comentators were quite scathing about
    the lack of team mates available to give him support, not just on this
    stage but generally.

    Quoted message said:

    That's what happens when you fill out your roster with lunch meat.

    Hein Verbruggen just emailed me to point out that this shows the
    strength and well-thought-out character of the Pro Tour.
    Even though the PT requirements basically force each team to send
    lunch meat to at least one of the three Grand Tours,
    Savoldelli has managed to (provisionally) win the Giro
    with his deli plate (no disrespect to the Disco Channel riders).
    When life gives you prosciutto, make panini.

    Oh, that wacky Verbruggen!

  7. Robert Chung said:

    DiLuca and Simoni went down swinging for the fences. Savoldelli owes
    Lotto. Rujano drives me nuts.

    The journey was entertaining, but there was no real drama or a
    conclusion that will make this stage epic or eternal. Everyone faded
    away and the top 5 remained unchanged for chrissakes! If only Simoni
    could have hung with Rujano.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

  8. Ewoud Dronkert said:

    The journey was entertaining, but there was no real drama or a
    conclusion that will make this stage epic or eternal.

    You don't think "guy has jersey, guy loses jersey, guy gets jersey back"
    is dramatic?

    Quoted message said:

    Everyone faded
    away and the top 5 remained unchanged for chrissakes! If only Simoni
    could have hung with Rujano.

    If Simoni had hung with Rujano the top 5 would have remained unchanged.

  9. Me said:

    Your Frenchy charts drive me nuts!

    Thanks. It's good to know my efforts aren't in vain.

  10. Robert Chung said:

    If Simoni had hung with Rujano the top 5 would have remained unchanged.

    Well, Rujano sat up just a little before the line. Simoni would probably
    have had the sense to drive it all the way, or would even have bought
    the win including bonus seconds. Besides, Savoldelli still should get a
    10 s penalty like Di Luca got, for being pushed on the climb.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

  11. I'm just a sore loser as a Simoni fan (or, me likey Simoni better than
    Savoldelli).

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

  12. Ewoud Dronkert said:

    I'm just a sore loser as a Simoni fan (or, me likey Simoni better than
    Savoldelli).

    Savoldelli leaves me a bit cold, and I wouldn't have cared if he'd been
    beaten for the maglia rosa. But whatever the outcome and my personal
    rooting interest (I was rooting for Di Luca and Basso), I think the drama
    of the stage was pretty evident.

    Now that we have the Giro straightened out, what's your rooting interest
    on the Constitution?

  13. Robert Chung said:

    Now that we have the Giro straightened out, what's your rooting interest
    on the Constitution?

    I think the only way must be forward, so I will hesitatingly, because
    under-informed IMO, vote JA. I don't see any advantages in voting NEE.

    I think it's erie that Holland and France are the only two countries
    tending towards a no. What the hell binds us? Xenophobia? I hope not.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

  14. Quoted message said:

    Hein Verbruggen just emailed me to point out that this shows the
    strength and well-thought-out character of the Pro Tour.
    Even though the PT requirements basically force each team to send
    lunch meat to at least one of the three Grand Tours,
    Savoldelli has managed to (provisionally) win the Giro
    with his deli plate (no disrespect to the Disco Channel riders).
    When life gives you prosciutto, make panini.

    Did he say anything about how no one would have noticed if
    Continental team Selle Italia wasn't there? And how replacing
    teams like that with lunch meat squads like Francaise Des Jeux
    and Bouygues Telecom added to the race?

    He's a funny guy, that Hein.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Robert Chung said:
    Ewoud Dronkert said:

    I'm just a sore loser as a Simoni fan (or, me likey Simoni better than
    Savoldelli).

    Savoldelli leaves me a bit cold,

    I think he left the podium girls a bit cold, too.

    Quoted message said:

    and I wouldn't have cared if he'd been
    beaten for the maglia rosa. But whatever the outcome and my personal
    rooting interest (I was rooting for Di Luca and Basso), I think the drama
    of the stage was pretty evident.

    But for those two days, Basso would have handily won this race. He seems
    to be pretty philosophical about it, and appears to have taken it in
    stride. A good winner as well as a good loser. But DiLuca really impressed
    me. Based on his previous GT record, I would not have thought he'd be so
    close to the podium. He didn't have any really bad days, but did fade a
    little towards the end. Not much, though. I wonder if he could take the
    summer off and come back to win the Vuelta...

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  16. Ewoud Dronkert said:

    I think it's erie that Holland and France are the only two countries
    tending towards a no. What the hell binds us? Xenophobia? I hope not.

    And the UK
    :-(
    Dan Gregory

  17. Bob Schwartz said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hein Verbruggen just emailed me to point out that this shows the
    strength and well-thought-out character of the Pro Tour.
    Even though the PT requirements basically force each team to send
    lunch meat to at least one of the three Grand Tours,
    Savoldelli has managed to (provisionally) win the Giro
    with his deli plate (no disrespect to the Disco Channel riders).
    When life gives you prosciutto, make panini.

    Did he say anything about how no one would have noticed if
    Continental team Selle Italia wasn't there? And how replacing
    teams like that with lunch meat squads like Francaise Des Jeux
    and Bouygues Telecom added to the race?

    He's a funny guy, that Hein.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]

    Bouygues was a loss, but FDJ were there last year and made a very fine
    showing of themselves. And don't forget the crumpled Cookie incident..

    -Sonarrat.

  18. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    DiLuca and Simoni went down swinging for the fences. Savoldelli owes
    Lotto. Rujano drives me nuts.


    I don't think Savoldelli owes Lotto any more than Lotto owes Savodelli.
    Ardila was riding for Van Huffel, to try to get him in the top 10 (he
    managed to jump up a couple of spots on the GC.) In fact, on the descent of
    the Finestre, Ardilla picked up at least 30 seconds trying to bridge to Van
    Huffel, by following Savoldelli's line.

  19. "Stan Cox" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bob Schwartz said:
    Robert Chung said:

    Savoldelli owes Lotto.

    Discovery owes Lotto. When the going gets tough,
    the tough go shopping.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]


    My thoughts entirely. Discovery are going to have to pay that one
    back. BTW the British Eurosport comentators were quite scathing about
    the lack of team mates available to give him support, not just on this
    stage but generally.


    I don't see it that way. I just rewatched the last bit of today's stage.
    Ardila was riding for Van Huffel, helping him to jump up a few places on the
    GC. Savoldelli did benefit from it. Just as Ardila (and Lotto) benifitted
    from Savoldelli chasing the Simoni by following his line on the descent and
    picking up 30+ seconds bridging up to his teammate Van Huffel.

    I switching between RAI and French Eurosport and they didn't make a big
    deal of Lotto helping Savoldelli.

    BTW, Jacky Durand is an excellent commentator, probably the best I've seen.
    Certainly better than Virenque, even when commentating about mouintain
    stages.

  20. trg said:

    I don't see it that way. I just rewatched the last bit of today's stage.
    Ardila was riding for Van Huffel, helping him to jump up a few places on the
    GC. Savoldelli did benefit from it. Just as Ardila (and Lotto) benifitted
    from Savoldelli chasing the Simoni by following his line on the descent and
    picking up 30+ seconds bridging up to his teammate Van Huffel.

    Van Huffel moved up from 15th to 11th on GC. No one will remember this
    day in terms of his advance on GC. Everyone with any remote association
    with the race was aware of the battle for pink. So it just seems unlikely
    to me that Lotto would put out what they did for an insignificant GC
    advance when surely there was more to be gained in an agreement with
    Discovery.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email hidden]

    I should mention that I don't have cable so all I'm going by is the
    cyclinenews live report. I won't see it until someone uploads the Cyclasm
    broadcast or something.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.