Dark Horse

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael, May 17, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?

    Mine: Floyd Landis.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >
    > Mine: Floyd Landis.
    >
    > Mike

    Santiago Botero

    HA HA HA HA HA

    Bob C.

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    > >
    > > Mine: Floyd Landis.
    > >
    > > Mike

    Mmmmm.... Jan Ullrich. I heard he is getting good at those time trials.

    Simon

  4. RWM

    RWM Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >
    > Mine: Floyd Landis.
    >
    > Mike

    Can you give a better definition of how to judge a dark horse? If Floyd
    does a lot of work on the climbs but finishes way down in the GC do you
    claim a win?

  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "RWM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    > >
    > > Mine: Floyd Landis.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > Can you give a better definition of how to judge a dark horse? If Floyd
    > does a lot of work on the climbs but finishes way down in the GC do you
    > claim a win?

    No, Floyd Landis has got to finish surprisingly high, like a top ten.

    Mike

  6. I have answers for this on several levels:

    1. Flatlanders aka sprinters:
    I think Mario Cipollini will actually stay in longer than usual. I
    think that he wants once before he retires to finish the Tour and will try
    to do so. Not saying he'll make it all the way to Paris, just that he won't
    abandon on the first uphill day.

    2. Overall
    I think that Tyler Hamilton will be out to prove that last year's
    performance (broken collarbone and all) was not a fluke -- I look for 2
    American's on the podium -- one Mr. Lance Armstrong on the top step and
    Tyler on the 2nd step.

    Have a wonderful day,

    Joe Hurley

    who hopes that the USA (1) finds a replacement sponsor for USPS after this
    season for the team and (2) develops some good young riders to fill Lance's
    shoes when he does retire.

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >
    > Mine: Floyd Landis.
    >
    > Mike

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > No, Floyd Landis has got to finish surprisingly high, like a top ten.

    Floyd will be up there for the first half of the race but will fall back
    after Lance takes over.

    I expect the real dark horse to be Ivan Basso.

  8. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >
    > Mine: Floyd Landis.

    Since no-one seems to have mentioned the guy - has nobody noticed that Mayo
    appears to have learnt to TT?

    Alcobendas:

    1 Luis Sanchez (Spa) Liberty Seguros 11.26
    2 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0.03
    3 Isidro Nozal (Spa) Liberty Seguros 0.06

    Not exactly a dark horse, though.

    Peter

  9. Roland2k

    Roland2k Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >
    > Mine: Floyd Landis.
    >
    > Mike

    How about Levi Leipheimer? How about an American sweep of the podium
    with Tyler on the top step? If Ivan Basso struggles, Julich could
    finish well too.

    I can't wait for the mountains this year; epic is a definite
    possibility. Just think of the potential battles; Armstrong, Ullrich,
    Hamilton, Vinokourov, Mayo, Basso, Simoni, Garzelli, Sastre, Zubeldia,
    Laiseka. There's probably a dozen more names that will show up once or
    twice. But all of those above should be battling every day.

    Roland

  10. jim gravity

    jim gravity Guest

    > Since no-one seems to have mentioned the guy - has nobody noticed that
    > Mayo appears to have learnt to TT?

    Wasn't it uphill?

    McGee is learning to hang with the climbers, and Alpe d'Huez flattens
    out in the second half.

    Top 5 Giro...top 10 Tour.

    --

  11. Heras until the penultimate stage. He will not be challenged until the ITT
    on Saturday. He has a strong team for the TTT (besides, he can only lose

    news:p[email protected]
    > On 19 May 2004 06:36:38 -0700, Roland2k wrote:
    > > Laiseka.

    > Only reserve because of more focus on rouleurs. See
    > http://www.cycling4all.com/r04rvf00.php and
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/may04/may19news halfway
    > down.

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Roland2k at
    [email protected] wrote on 5/19/04 6:36 AM:

    > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    >> to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >>
    >> Mine: Floyd Landis.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > How about Levi Leipheimer? How about an American sweep of the podium
    > with Tyler on the top step? If Ivan Basso struggles, Julich could
    > finish well too.
    >
    > I can't wait for the mountains this year; epic is a definite
    > possibility. Just think of the potential battles; Armstrong, Ullrich,
    > Hamilton, Vinokourov, Mayo, Basso, Simoni, Garzelli, Sastre, Zubeldia,
    > Laiseka. There's probably a dozen more names that will show up once or
    > twice. But all of those above should be battling every day.

    Agree for the most part; E-E announced their roster and unfortunately,
    Laiseka won't be riding. Nor will Sammy Sanchez, which is probably just as
    well after he went HD on l'Alpe d'Huez last year... Also, Vini Calridola is
    not one of the teams invited to the Tour this year, so no Garzelli.

    My version of that list would consist of Armstrong, Hamilton, Leipheimer,
    Ullrich, Mayo, Zubeldia, Julich, Simoni, Totschnig, Frigo if he goes, Aitor
    Gonzalez, Heras, and - this one I want to stress - Sevilla, in his new
    Phonak colors.

    -Sonarrat.

  13. On 05/19/2004 07:36 AM, in article
    [email protected], "Roland2k"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    >> to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    >>
    >> Mine: Floyd Landis.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > How about Levi Leipheimer? How about an American sweep of the podium
    > with Tyler on the top step? If Ivan Basso struggles, Julich could
    > finish well too.
    >
    > I can't wait for the mountains this year; epic is a definite
    > possibility. Just think of the potential battles; Armstrong, Ullrich,
    > Hamilton, Vinokourov, Mayo, Basso, Simoni, Garzelli, Sastre, Zubeldia,
    > Laiseka. There's probably a dozen more names that will show up once or
    > twice. But all of those above should be battling every day.

    Laiseka is being left off the Euskatel team
    (http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=5274).

    Vini Caldirola (Garzelli) wasn't invited.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  14. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Who's your "dark horse" -- not necessarily to win -- but
    > > to do surprisingly well in the TdF this year?
    > >
    > > Mine: Floyd Landis.

    > Since no-one seems to have mentioned the guy - has nobody noticed that

    Mayo
    > appears to have learnt to TT?
    >
    > Alcobendas:
    >
    > 1 Luis Sanchez (Spa) Liberty Seguros 11.26
    > 2 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0.03
    > 3 Isidro Nozal (Spa) Liberty Seguros 0.06

    Think about this - how long is a TT that takes 0:11:26?

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > Since no-one seems to have mentioned the guy - has nobody noticed that
    > > Mayo appears to have learnt to TT?

    > Wasn't it uphill?
    >
    > McGee is learning to hang with the climbers, and Alpe d'Huez flattens
    > out in the second half.
    >
    > Top 5 Giro...top 10 Tour.

    Yeah, to a meager 8%.

  16. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > 1 Luis Sanchez (Spa) Liberty Seguros 11.26
    > > 2 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0.03
    > > 3 Isidro Nozal (Spa) Liberty Seguros 0.06

    > Think about this - how long is a TT that takes 0:11:26?

    About eleven and a half minutes long.

  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

  18. Carl Sundquist wrote:

    >>>1 Luis Sanchez (Spa) Liberty Seguros 11.26
    >>>2 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0.03
    >>>3 Isidro Nozal (Spa) Liberty Seguros 0.06

    >>Think about this - how long is a TT that takes 0:11:26?
    >>

    > About eleven and a half minutes long.

    (rim shot)!

    Steve