Dark Side Trike: 81 Gears Useful?

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

> If you are sticking with the SRAM DD, then the practical way to extend the
> range is one of the following:
>
> The Schlumpf.
> A 2-ring chainset (rather than 3), with something such as a 53/39 "racing
> road" ratio, which would give an overall range of 1.3 to 9.8m.

Thanks for all the maths. Today the Darth at Rando-Cycles came up with
similar figures.

I have now officially ordered the trike with the standard 24-speed SRAM
DD and option of adding a Schlumpf next year.

I've settled on:
** standard suspension (when I spoke to HPV yesterday they mentioned
that the DT Swiss was so that I could regulate the suspension when I
carried luggage; but since I'm in the range of the stiffest spring
whether I take luggage or not it seemed unnecessary expense)

** Magura Big hydraulic brakes, button activated Avid parking brake on
the rear wheel, and one hand actuation of brakes and shifters. We found
a reason why the latter is absolutely necessary. If I have any shifters
on the left side of the headset, I cannot have the Mirrycle mirror and
computer mount there. If the computer is _not_ mounted there, the
computer has to go on the boom where it is invisible while riding, IOW
useless!

** Short pedal cranks. I'm 5'7" and these are supposedly more
comfortable at that height, and better for spinning, although they do
apparently shift the gearing upwards.

** No dynamo or lights at all. I figure a great many Cateye LEDs can fit
into the price of a SON. Also the Darth reassured me that there was no
problem retrofitting a bottle dynamo if I later decided I wanted one, or
even a hub dynamo - and he recommended the Shimano as much better
rapport qualité-prix than the SON.

** Water bottles, mudguards, baggage rack, Mirrycle mirror and computer
on the left, flag.

I was extra pleased that the Darth said he could deliver. I was worrying
about how I'd get the Scorpion home from Picpus, on the metro (not).

He's also fairly sure that it can arrive by mid-October. I really really
need it to be present for its official birth on Nov. 3rd.

Now to think up a proper birthing ceremony that can be performed at 6:40
am on a Saturday in an underground garage without attracting the
attention of the police.

Ouf! Glad it's over and I can think about something else. Thanks to all
the wonderful people on these lists who have brought me so much valuable
information and discussion.

EFR
Ile de France

On 2007-09-08, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:

> ** Short pedal cranks. I'm 5'7" and these are supposedly more
> comfortable at that height, and better for spinning, although they do
> apparently shift the gearing upwards.

Just how short did you go?

My experience is that shorter cranks tend to push the cadence at which
I'm comfortable up noticeably, which is a good thing if you have bad
kees like I do. The effect on my cadence seems out of proportion to the
slightly higher effective gearing.

In any case you can always adjust your overall gearing by putting on a
smaller or larger chainring. That's especially easy if you stick with a
single-ring setup.

Artemisia wrote:

<snip>

> ** Magura Big hydraulic brakes, button activated Avid parking brake on
> the rear wheel, and one hand actuation of brakes and shifters. We found
> a reason why the latter is absolutely necessary. If I have any shifters
> on the left side of the headset, I cannot have the Mirrycle mirror and
> computer mount there. If the computer is _not_ mounted there, the
> computer has to go on the boom where it is invisible while riding, IOW
> useless!

I have Magura Bigs on my Anthrotech and I don't like them. Parts seem
diffilcult to obtain because they are not cycle brakes, the levers are
nasty platic things, but they do work. I would have thought 'ordinary'
tandem rated brakes would be enough.

The rest looks quite fine though. Whatever you do, I'm sure it will
bring a smile every time you ride it. Mine does.

<snip>

In article <[email protected]>, Artemisia wrote:

>** No dynamo or lights at all. I figure a great many Cateye LEDs can fit
>into the price of a SON. Also the Darth reassured me that there was no
>problem retrofitting a bottle dynamo if I later decided I wanted one, or
>even a hub dynamo - and he recommended the Shimano as much better
>rapport qualité-prix than the SON.

How does he propose retrofitting fitting a Shimano hub dynamo to a tadpole
trike? I suspect many people with not-Scorpion trikes would be interested
in the answer if he has a plausible plan.

Alan Braggins wrote:

> How does he propose retrofitting fitting a Shimano hub dynamo to a tadpole
> trike? I suspect many people with not-Scorpion trikes would be interested
> in the answer if he has a plausible plan.

I suppose it would require rebuilding a wheel. This particular Darth is
actually a maker of custom bikes, so I expect he has a clue. I didn't
inquire into details though.

EFR
Ile de France

In article <[email protected]>, Artemisia wrote:
>Alan Braggins wrote:
>
>> How does he propose retrofitting fitting a Shimano hub dynamo to a tadpole
>> trike? I suspect many people with not-Scorpion trikes would be interested
>> in the answer if he has a plausible plan.

>I suppose it would require rebuilding a wheel.

That's the trivial part. Rebuilding a Shimano hub which is designed for use
in a fork so it can be mounted single sided is the tricky bit.