General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Darn kid gave me a reg pepsi

Started by R. Loanguy · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,508 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 January 2004
Last activity
13 January 2004
Original author
R. Loanguy
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,508
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the beauty that is Salma Hayek.
    After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice and french fries. Not the
    most carbo-free food, but I figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this
    meal a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it was a pretty safe bet.
    I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this time knowing that even if it came out to 150-
    160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it is
    245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good
    to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

  2. Buy some Chemstrips and use them to dip pop when eating out. We have been
    doing that for our daughter and it is surprising the # of times you get
    regular pop instead of diet. We once had a waiter try to argue with us that
    it was diet but as soon as I told him that I tested it & I showed him the
    strips he shut up & exchanged the regular pop for diet pop.
    Heather
    execulink.comdiabetictag.html
    execulink.compouches.htm

    "R. loanguy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the


    beauty

    Quoted message said:

    that is Salma Hayek. After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice
    and french fries. Not the most carbo-free food, but


    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this


    meal

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this


    time

    Quoted message said:

    knowing that even if it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it is
    245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good
    to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

  3. My wife can detect a regular Coke or Pesi with one sip. I can't. Whenever she suspects that the
    idiot behind the Mickey Dees counter gave her a regular soda, she uses the Ultra meter to verify. If
    it's got sugar in it it will read "high". Try it some time

    dave

    R. loanguy said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the beauty that is Salma Hayek.
    After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice and french fries. Not
    the most carbo-free food, but I figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had
    this meal a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it was a pretty
    safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this time knowing that even if it came
    out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it is
    245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good
    to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

  4. "R. loanguy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the


    beauty

    Quoted message said:

    that is Salma Hayek. After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice
    and french fries. Not the most carbo-free food, but


    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this


    meal

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this


    time

    Quoted message said:

    knowing that even if it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it is
    245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good
    to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

    How do you know it was regular soda? And if you honestly can't tell, then get some Glucostixs and
    test. I got some at drugstore.com, but haven't had to use them yet. I can tell instantly if a soda
    is regular. I've been drinking diet soda for over 30 years not and can't stand the regular stuff.
    It's so sweet and syrupy I instantly want to spit it out. Any time I get a drink that tastes funny,
    I send it back.

    As for your meal, no WAY could I eat that. I did have a bit of rice tonight, but it was in
    Avgolemeno soup. That's a Greek chicken and rice soup. Only 1/2 cup of dried rice went into the pot
    and it was divided up 6 ways. Had that with some salad and a small amount of hummus and pita bread.
    I can only eat a very small amount of rice or I have a problem. Rice used to be a favorite food too.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  5. You might want to try using Diastix. It's a dipstick meant to test sugar in urine, but you can use
    them in soda. You can buy them at most pharmacies in packages of 50 or 100 and the cost is about .10
    per strip. I can't tell the difference and I swear by these. More than a few times I've been served
    regular soda and I never would have known the difference if I hadn't tested.

    --
    Best wishes
    Louise

    Type 2 since 2000, controlling by diet and exercise

    "R. loanguy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the


    beauty

    Quoted message said:

    that is Salma Hayek. After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled
    chicken with some rice and french fries. Not the most carbo-free food, but


    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this


    meal

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this


    time

    Quoted message said:

    knowing that even if it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another
    ten minutes later it is 245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that
    now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good to me since I am now used
    to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can
    myself. No more fountain drinks.

  6. As was mentioned by Julie, you may be attributing your very high BG to the wrong thing. Clearly we
    don't know what happened, but you should understand that just because you were able to eat similarly
    once, without getting elevated BGs, does not mean that you will always be able to do that. My first
    reaction to your posting is that you probably got the diet soda, ate more than you realized, were
    possibly already in a state of rising BG, and wham, you read high.

    What meds, if any, are you on? If you mentioned it elsewhere, I missed it.

    How was the movie? 🙂

    Randy

    In misc.health.diabetes R. loanguy said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the beauty that is Salma Hayek.
    After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice and french fries. Not
    the most carbo-free food, but I figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had
    this meal a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it was a pretty
    safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this time knowing that even if it came
    out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Quoted message said:

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it is
    245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good
    to me since I am now used to the taste.

    Quoted message said:

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

  7. and sometimes it's the fault of the person(s) hooking up the equipment to the self service soda
    machines. Once at our local In & Out we got a regular soda from the Diet tap. We told the management
    and I presume they took care of it... Glad my wife was with me, as I can't really tell that much
    difference, but then again I almost never drink Pesi or Coke.

    dave

    H&CC said:

    Buy some Chemstrips and use them to dip pop when eating out. We have been doing that for our
    daughter and it is surprising the # of times you get regular pop instead of diet. We once had a
    waiter try to argue with us that it was diet but as soon as I told him that I tested it & I showed
    him the strips he shut up & exchanged the regular pop for diet pop. Heather
    execulink.comdiabetictag.html execulink.compouches.htm

    "R. loanguy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the

    beauty

    Quoted message said:

    that is Salma Hayek. After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice
    and french fries. Not the most carbo-free food, but

    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this

    meal

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it

    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this

    time

    Quoted message said:

    knowing that even if it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it is
    245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good
    to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.


  8. "H&CC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy some Chemstrips and use them to dip pop when eating out. We have been doing that for our
    daughter and it is surprising the # of times you get regular pop instead of diet. We once had a
    waiter try to argue with us


    that

    Quoted message said:

    it was diet but as soon as I told him that I tested it & I showed him the strips he shut up &
    exchanged the regular pop for diet pop.

    I get that a lot with my daughter too. For some reason, they think kids shouldn't be drinking diet
    soda. I don't know how often the actually bring her regular soda because in some places where we
    dine, they put the kid's drink in a paper or plastic cup that you can't see through. I can always
    spot the regular stuff by the way it looks too. But often they question whether they heard me right
    when I say "diet".

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  9. Bay Area Dave said:

    My wife can detect a regular Coke or Pesi with one sip. I can't. Whenever she suspects that the
    idiot behind the Mickey Dees counter gave her a regular soda, she uses the Ultra meter to verify.
    If it's got sugar in it it will read "high". Try it some time

    I can tell too, but it's easier with Diet Coke. Also, I find that the regular soda leaves a sticky
    feeling on your teeth. The other good trick is to shake it up or blow a few bubbles in it with a
    straw: the diet stuff tends to keep the foam on top longer.

  10. Julie Bove said:

    "R. loanguy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the


    beauty

    Quoted message said:

    that is Salma Hayek. After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice
    and french fries. Not the most carbo-free food, but


    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this


    meal

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this


    time

    Quoted message said:

    knowing that even if it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it
    is 245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste
    good to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

    How do you know it was regular soda? And if you honestly can't tell, then get some Glucostixs and
    test. I got some at drugstore.com, but haven't had to use them yet. I can tell instantly if a soda
    is regular. I've been drinking diet soda for over 30 years not and can't stand the regular stuff.
    It's so sweet and syrupy I instantly want to spit it out. Any time I get a drink that tastes
    funny, I send it back.

    As for your meal, no WAY could I eat that. I did have a bit of rice tonight, but it was in
    Avgolemeno soup. That's a Greek chicken and rice soup. Only 1/2 cup of dried rice went into the
    pot and it was divided up 6 ways. Had that with some salad and a small amount of hummus and pita
    bread. I can only eat a very small amount of rice or I have a problem. Rice used to be a favorite
    food too.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

    How about brown rice? Is that any better for you?

  11. Bay Area Dave said:

    My wife can detect a regular Coke or Pesi with one sip. I can't. Whenever she suspects that the
    idiot behind the Mickey Dees counter gave her a regular soda, she uses the Ultra meter to verify.
    If it's got sugar in it it will read "high". Try it some time dave

    Quoted message said:
    R. loanguy said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the beauty that is Salma Hayek.
    After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice and french fries. Not
    the most carbo-free food, but I figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have
    had this meal a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it was a
    pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this time knowing that even if
    it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it
    is 245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste
    good to me since I am now used to the taste.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more fountain
    drinks.

    That's the idea.

    I never buy to consume anything that is not in it's original container and which I cannot identify
    with some degree of certainty. But there again, I never take soft drinks of any kind. Not now.

    Pete

    Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
    + Asprin 210lbs at Dx to 170 lbs 02/08/03 target 161.

  12. Unfortunately the onus is on us to monitor what we eat and drink, not what someone else says it is.
    I've been caught out a few times myself and then I find that shouting in a full restaurant of people
    does the trick.

    Barry

    "H&CC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy some Chemstrips and use them to dip pop when eating out. We have been

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then


    another

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ten minutes later it is 245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste good to me since I am now


    used

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.


  13. Yes Clinistics or Diasticks ( Urine test strips ) detect sugar in liquids ( i believe they even
    detect starch , but not sure )

    tim

    "louisejoi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<7ZW9b.18568$pe.11584@lakeread06>...

    Quoted message said:

    You might want to try using Diastix. It's a dipstick meant to test sugar in urine, but you can use
    them in soda. You can buy them at most pharmacies in packages of 50 or 100 and the cost is about
    .10 per strip. I can't tell the difference and I swear by these. More than a few times I've been
    served regular soda and I never would have known the difference if I hadn't tested.

    --
    Best wishes Louise

    Type 2 since 2000, controlling by diet and exercise

    "R. loanguy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Being on vacation, I decided to go to the movies today and enjoy the


    beauty

    Quoted message said:

    that is Salma Hayek. After the movies, I decided to go have some grilled chicken with some rice
    and french fries. Not the most carbo-free food, but


    I

    Quoted message said:

    figured I could sin a little. I also figured that since I have had this


    meal

    Quoted message said:

    a few weeks ago and the meal did not take my 1 hour reading over 145, it


    was

    Quoted message said:

    a pretty safe bet. I even took a couple of extra mouthfuls of rice this


    time

    Quoted message said:

    knowing that even if it came out to 150-160 I would still be ok.

    Imagine my surprise when my one-hour reading comes up at 195, then another ten minutes later it
    is 245. It had to be a regular coke. Problem is that now diet pepsi and diet coke actually taste
    good to me since I am now used to the taste.

    That is it, it will be water for me from now on unless I can see the can myself. No more
    fountain drinks.

  14. thanks for the tip about the foam. I'll try to remember that next time
    I'm in doubt (about the soda, that is--I'm always "in doubt" 🙂 )

    dave

    Nico Kadel-Garcia said:
    Bay Area Dave said:

    My wife can detect a regular Coke or Pesi with one sip. I can't. Whenever she suspects that the
    idiot behind the Mickey Dees counter gave her a regular soda, she uses the Ultra meter to verify.
    If it's got sugar in it it will read "high". Try it some time

    I can tell too, but it's easier with Diet Coke. Also, I find that the regular soda leaves a sticky
    feeling on your teeth. The other good trick is to shake it up or blow a few bubbles in it with a
    straw: the diet stuff tends to keep the foam on top longer.

  15. "Jon Kaplan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How about brown rice? Is that any better for you?

    No, but Basmati rice is.

    --
    Steve Brassett Type 2 DX May 2003 - Pills, diet & exercise

  16. "Jon Kaplan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How about brown rice? Is that any better for you?

    From a nutritional standpoint, yes. For my BG, no. YMMV.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  17. "Julie Bove" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "H&CC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Buy some Chemstrips and use them to dip pop when eating out. We have


    been

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    doing that for our daughter and it is surprising the # of times you get regular pop instead of
    diet. We once had a waiter try to argue with us


    that

    Quoted message said:

    it was diet but as soon as I told him that I tested it & I showed him


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    strips he shut up & exchanged the regular pop for diet pop.

    I get that a lot with my daughter too. For some reason, they think kids shouldn't be drinking diet
    soda. I don't know how often the actually


    bring

    Quoted message said:

    her regular soda because in some places where we dine, they put the kid's drink in a paper or
    plastic cup that you can't see through. I can always spot the regular stuff by the way it looks
    too. But often they question whether they heard me right when I say "diet".

    Julie that is very smart of you. Knowing the genetic component of diabetes, it is smart to get your
    daughter drinking diet soda now. I keep telling that to my kids, since not only me, but both my
    siblings have it. Has to be a very strong genetic component in my family.

    My complaint was with restaurants sneaking me regular caffeinated coffee instead of decaf. For some
    odd reason I am nearly "allergic" to coffee with caffeine and it just makes me all shaky and nervous
    followed by a sort of a "crash" in energy leaving me feeling exhausted. Forget sleeping that night
    if I drink it anytime in the afternoon.
    --

    Evelyn

    "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having nothing to do with good
    or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst into laughter." -Longchenpa

  18. "tim kettring" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yes Clinistics or Diasticks ( Urine test strips ) detect sugar in liquids ( i believe they even
    detect starch , but not sure )

    They won't detect sugar, as in white sugar. But they will detect high fructose corn syrup and that
    is what regular sodas are sweetened with in this country. Exception being the stuff that is made for
    Passover. It has sugar.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  19. "Steve Brassett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jon Kaplan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How about brown rice? Is that any better for you?

    No, but Basmati rice is.

    Maybe so, but I was unable to find any here. The recipe I used called for that, but it was nowhere
    to be found.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  20. you aren't allergic. You feel the same thing that anyone who abstains from regular caffeine intake
    would feel--it's the "rush". Folks who indulge in caffeinated products on a regular basis must like
    the feeling: Speeded up heart rate and the jitters. I also don't like caffeine, although it doesn't
    stop me from enjoy chocolate! 🙂 If I drink regular iced tea late in the day I can't fall asleep
    when I go to bed.

    here's an excerpt off the net regarding caffeine: coffeefaq.comcaffaq.html
    ------------
    Caffeine is an alkaloid. There are numerous compounds called alkaloids, among them we have the
    methylxanthines, with three distinguished compounds: caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine, found
    in cola nuts, coffee, tea, cacao beans, mate and other plants. These compounds have different
    biochemical effects, and are present in different ratios in the different plant sources. These
    compounds are very similar and differ only by the presence of methyl groups in two positions of the
    chemical structure. They are easily oxidized to uric acid and other methyluric acids which are also
    similar in chemical structure.

    Caffeine: Sources: Coffee, tea, cola nuts, mate, guarana. Effects: Stimulant of central nervous
    system, cardiac muscle, and respiratory system, diuretic Delays fatigue.

    Theophylline: Sources: Tea Effects: Cariac stimulant, smooth muscle relaxant, diuretic, vasodilator

    Theobromine: Sources: Principle alkaloid of the cocoa bean (1.5-3%) Cola nuts and tea Effects:
    Diuretic, smooth muscle relaxant, cardiac stimulant, vasodilator.

    -------------------

    dave

    Evelyn Ruut wrote: snip

    Quoted message said:

    For some odd reason I am nearly "allergic" to coffee with caffeine and it just makes me all shaky
    and nervous followed by a sort of a "crash" in energy leaving me feeling exhausted. Forget
    sleeping that night if I drink it anytime in the afternoon.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.