Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Dating 70s Raleigh Professional

Started by RS · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,070 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 October 2006
Last activity
24 October 2006
Original author
RS
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,070
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through an
    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and yes I
    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

  2. RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through an
    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and yes I
    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    A dozen roses and a new Brooks saddle might get you hooked up. -bg

  3. Campagnolo Nuevo Record rear derailleurs were stamped with the year, at
    least for some years in the 70s. Look carefully and you might find it.
    --
    Thomas David Kehoe
    Casa Futura Technologies
    http://www.casafuturatech.com

    in article [email hidden], RS at
    [email hidden] wrote on 10/21/06 2:21 PM:

    Quoted message said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through an
    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and yes I
    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

  4. "RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through


    an

    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and


    yes I

    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    There was an arcane numbering code stamped into the bottom bracket on a
    lot of Raleighs. Do a Google search and maybe you can find the key.

    Chas.

  5. "Burke Gilman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional


    through an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9


    and yes I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    A dozen roses and a new Brooks saddle might get you hooked up. -bg

    Some Phil Tenacious Oil might help too.... ;-)

    Chas.

  6. The "Retro Raleighs" site seems to exist no longer, but "A" would have
    been the first year of production - 1969?

    RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through an
    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and yes I
    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    The "Retro Raleighs" site seems to exist no longer, but "A" would have
    been the first year of production - 1969?

    RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through an
    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and yes I
    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.


    1969 might make sense. Virtually all components are upgraded. Better parts
    then what was on the bike but of course to a collector degrades the value of the
    bike. I see people paying silly prices for Campy Nuovo Record stuff on Ebay and
    a clean all original Professional went for $1500 fairly recently.

    thanks

  8. * * Chas said:


    "Burke Gilman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional


    through an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9


    and yes I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    A dozen roses and a new Brooks saddle might get you hooked up. -bg

    Some Phil Tenacious Oil might help too.... ;-)

    Chas.

    "Candy is nice but liquor is quicker"

  9. * * Chas said:

    "Burke Gilman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional


    through an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9


    and yes I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A dozen roses and a new Brooks saddle might get you hooked up. -bg

    Quoted message said:

    Some Phil Tenacious Oil might help too.... ;-)

    Surely not on the first date!

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  10. "Fred" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    * * Chas said:


    "Burke Gilman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    RS wrote:
    > I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional


    through an

    Quoted message said:

    > estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9


    and yes I

    Quoted message said:

    > have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    > information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    A dozen roses and a new Brooks saddle might get you hooked up. -bg

    Some Phil Tenacious Oil might help too.... ;-)

    Chas.

    "Candy is nice but liquor is quicker"

    Southern Comfort - Instant paint remover!

  11. RS,
    It seems like your bicycle is a 1973 or 1974. The AXXXX serial number
    would normally fit the 2nd number system of 1966, but it sounds like
    your's is newer. Later on in sheldon's dating page there are some
    notes including "There are several documented cases of '73 and '74
    Professionals, Internationals, Competitions and RRAs with "A" serial
    numbers. Let the color scheme, decals and components be your guide,"
    that seems to describe your bicycle more accurately. See also
    http://retroraleighs.com/professional.html
    I think sheldon picked up the content of the former retro raleighs site
    within his own site.
    best of luck, it sounds a lovely ride.
    z

  12. RS said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through an
    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and yes I
    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    There are a couple of things you can do:

    - post a photo somewhere (or email me) and I or others can give you
    some input. More photos of more components, more decals, more lugs is
    better. There are some distinctive features that pin things down.

    - on top of the rear campy derailleur there is a stamp "Pat 72" or
    something similar. That is the year the derailleur was made - if it's
    original, that dates the bike +/- to a model year.

  13. "RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through


    an

    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and


    yes I

    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    How are the seat stays attached to the seat tube? That can help date
    your bike.

    Also as someone else mentioned, post a link to some pictures. That will
    really help.

    Chas.

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    "RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through


    an

    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and


    yes I

    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    How are the seat stays attached to the seat tube? That can help date
    your bike.

    Also as someone else mentioned, post a link to some pictures. That will
    really help.

    Chas.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    "RS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have what I think is an early 70s or so Raleigh Professional through


    an

    Quoted message said:

    estate situation, its silver color. The serial number is A94S9 and


    yes I

    Quoted message said:

    have looked at Sheldon's site but this doesn't quite fit into his
    information. Can anyone help date this bike? Thanks.

    How are the seat stays attached to the seat tube? That can help date
    your bike.

    Also as someone else mentioned, post a link to some pictures. That will
    really help.

    Chas.


    Good idea on the images, I'll get some out in a day or so.

  16. 1974. I have the exactly the same bike as you. look at the fine
    print at the bottom of the page on sheldon's website. You can
    also look at 3 other places to get dates for the bike :

    1. crankset should say <3>, meaning 1973 crankset.
    2. rear mech should say "PAT 73", meaning 1973 mech
    3. open up the hubs, look at the INSIDE of the locknuts, they
    should say CAMP 73, meaning 1973 hubs, they should be large
    flange hubs. Wheels are likely replaced since so many people
    dislike tubular tires, so this part is most likely to be replaced.

    a bike built in year X almost always has campy parts from year (X-1),
    before just-in-time manufaturing was invented ...

    If you have all of these items and dates, you can be certain your bike
    is a 1974 bicycle, just like mine.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  17. By the way, if you really do think you have a 1966 bicycle, it would
    have to have a centerpull cable hanger brazed onto the rear seat
    stays. Campagnolo sidepulls had not been invented in 1966. That
    would identify the bicycle as 1966, and i think the original color
    scheme would be white/black/red.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  18. Donald Gillies said:

    By the way, if you really do think you have a 1966 bicycle, it would
    have to have a centerpull cable hanger brazed onto the rear seat
    stays. Campagnolo sidepulls had not been invented in 1966. That
    would identify the bicycle as 1966, and i think the original color
    scheme would be white/black/red.

    That is not true. Most bikes did not have centerpull hangers brazed-on;
    typically they were a quick-release hanger that attached to the pinch bolt
    in the rear (and the headset in the front). While some did have a
    braze-on hanger, I don't think the Raleigh Pro did.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The motor car reflects our standard of living and gauges the
    _`\(,_ | speed of our present life. It long ago ran down Simple Living,
    (_)/ (_) | and never halted to inquire about the prostrate figure which
    fell as its victim. -- Warren G. Harding

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    1974. I have the exactly the same bike as you. look at the fine
    print at the bottom of the page on sheldon's website. You can
    also look at 3 other places to get dates for the bike :

    1. crankset should say <3>, meaning 1973 crankset.
    2. rear mech should say "PAT 73", meaning 1973 mech
    3. open up the hubs, look at the INSIDE of the locknuts, they
    should say CAMP 73, meaning 1973 hubs, they should be large
    flange hubs. Wheels are likely replaced since so many people
    dislike tubular tires, so this part is most likely to be replaced.

    a bike built in year X almost always has campy parts from year (X-1),
    before just-in-time manufaturing was invented ...

    If you have all of these items and dates, you can be certain your bike
    is a 1974 bicycle, just like mine.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Don,

    virtually all components have been replaced, so really I'm just dating the
    frame.

  20. RS said:


    Don,

    virtually all components have been replaced, so really I'm just dating the
    frame.

    I'll second (third?) the A serial numbers running later. I have a '73
    Comp that uses the A series.

    As noted, stays, paint schemes, and braze ons, also help date the
    frame.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.