Dawkins on Kimura

"John Edser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JE:- Mr Moran is just emotionally defending his own tribe.
> Drift is temporal variation, nothing more or less. All LM
> has to do to prove this to himself is do a simple thought
> experiment. He simply refuses to attempt it.

Better being AEVASIVE by SEPTIC-humored significance
spotting and naming, than by 'septal' (as in
compartmentalized) conceptual sophistication for its own
sake, don't you think? ;-)

>> Hmmm. I think it is safe to say that drift is causing
>> evolution in every population all the time, including
>> during speciation.

> JT:- Define evolution without speciation and without
> adaptation. If all you mean is that as time passes, drift
> happens then I stand by my assertion that this is a
> biochemical rather than evolutionary process.

LM:- The minimal definition of evolution is "a change in the
heritable characteristices of a population over time."
This does not require speciation. The change can be due
to random genetic drift or natural selection or possibly
other mechanisms. All scientists agree that it's possible
to have evolution without speciation and without
adaptation.

JE;- Mr Moran's consistent use of "argument by authority" as
a valid justification was recognised by the Ancient Greeks
as faulty. Indeed, all of Democracy and science would cease
if Mr Moran's _dictates_ were ever accepted because all the
major evolutionary changes in ideas were something simple
that nobody else could come up with.

LN:- This is the 21st century and this is sci.bio.evolution.
We shouldn't have to be explaining the scientific
definition of evolution to people who post here. We
shouldn't have to be defending random genetic drift
against those who would dismiss it as a mechanism of
evolution. Those sorts of things should be moved to
talk.origins or some other newsgroup that's intended for
people who don't know much about evolution.

JE:- Dear oh dear, Mt Moran certainly does not like to have
his ancient "argument by authority" challenged. Neither did
Stalin or ******. Fortunately Mr Moran does not (as yet)
have their perverse power. The reason why talk origins
exists is to separate non testable ideas about evolution
from testable ideas. Given the fact that using Mr Moran's
view of drift as evolution does _not_ allow testable views
of evolution to be separated from non testable views, then
perhaps it is Mr Moran who should retire his non testable
random view of evolution to talk origins. Science takes
nobodies word for anything, not even his. Here at sbe the
Ivory Towers are open for business to the general public.
The public does not have a vested interest in propping them
up. Indeed, they have a vested interest in seeing if they
are getting value for their money. Perhaps Mr Moran would
prefer to lock them up again, as they were before the
internet pried the doors open, and force the general public
to keep on paying for what went on, _irrespective_? I think
the Chinese called it "The Iron Rice Bowl.."

Once again, Mr Moran refuses to partake in a simple thought
experiment which can prove to him that random sampling
error is only temporal variation and not evolution. What is
in just a word? A CONCEPT. Mr Moran's argument is
conceptually FALSE.

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

> Define evolution without speciation and without
> adaptation.

TT:- ``Evolution is a process that results in heritable
changes in a population spread over many generations.''

- http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-definition.html

JE:- Mr Tyler is just quoting Mr Moran. This is like
allowing the police to investigate their own corruption. The
tribal instinct to protect ones tribe takes over from reason
when ones tribe is threatened. Sadly, this also happens in
the sciences. However, the scientific method weeds out such
behaviour, quickly and easily, if and only if that method is
not corrupted. The problem here is that it has been
corrupted. Non testable models of evolution have been
allowed to challenge and defeat testable theories from which
these models were derived via the process of over
simplification. The error is so gross that nobody here will
discuss it, even as just a possibility. Prof. Felsenstein
has admitted that all models are non testable. He will not
say if all theories, such like Darwin's, are also "non
testable". Dr Guy Hoelzer suggests the opposite: all models
are testable. No dialog exists in sbe between Dr Hoelzer and
Prof. Felsenstein on such a _critical_ difference. We the
general public are supposed to just accept this absurd
difference in epistemology and keep paying our taxes to
support both "schools of thought". I for one, require such
an issue to be settled because it is basic to ALL the
arguments presented here. I welcome pressure from other
hapless members of the public to have this Neo Darwinistic
dirty washing aired in a public domain like sbe.

Yours,

John Edser wrote:
>>JT:- I would say that those who posit genetic drift as a
>>major process in evolution are devolving. They are
>>postulating ignorance as knowledge. I think the elevation
>>of know-nothing-ism may be a sign of inbreeding.
>

> LM:- Now that's an interesting point of view .... You've
> just insulted most professsional evolutionary
> biologists, every population geneticist, and the vast
> majority of molecular biologists. That tells me more
> about you than it does about them.
>
> JE:- Mr Moran is just emotionally defending his own tribe.
> Drift is temporal variation, nothing more or less.

What is evolution if it isn't temporal variation, too?
Indeed, the standard definition of evolution could be
summarised as "temporal variation, nothing more or
less" as well.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara Department of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 4 (Yliopistonkatu 5) FIN-00014 University of

Journal of Negative Results - EEB: www.jnr-eeb.org

Tim Tyler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim Menegay <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
>
> > Yet another criticism of the significance of Inman's
> > result is that Lovelock's daisies have a self-enhancing
> > environmental impact - at least in the niches to which
> > they are best adapted. A black daisy raises the local
> > temperature, which is beneficial to both self and to
> > conspecific neighbors. But most real-world environmental
> > impacts are not self-enhancing. For example, the daisies
> > consume CO2 as a nutrient, reducing the local CO2
> > concentration, which is probably detrimental to self and
> > to conspecifics. I would claim that most environmental
> > impacts due to resource consumption or waste production
> > are like this - they are self-detrimental in all niches
> > where the species is viable.
>
> Try the following model - which involves resource
> consumption *and* waste production - and yet will exhibit
> Gaian homeostasis - despite the "inverted" environmental
> impacts of these actions.
>
> A ingests O and excretes C. P ingests C and excretes O.
>
> A thrives when O is plentiful and suffers when
> surrounded by C. P thrives when C is plentiful and
> suffers when surrounded by O.
>
> This is what "recycling loops" look like. On a planet
> where everone's excretions are someone else's fuel, the
> dynamics of this sort of system seem likely to be
> significant - and they do look rather Gaian to me.

Depends what you mean by Gaian. In the model you describe, A
and P are fairly warm and fuzzy about the situation, and
they do regulate each other's population, but there is no
homeostasis that I can see in the global concentrations of O
and C. Any good that P might do in moderating an influx of C
(from a volcano, say) is quickly undone by A.

I'm not saying that there is no homeostasis, only that I
don't see it. I suspect that your system is merely buffered.
LeChatelier's principle is not homeostasis, or at least I
don't think it is.

Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> in article [email protected], Jeffrey
> Turner at [email protected] wrote on 3/11/04 4:44 PM:
>
>> Guy Hoelzer wrote:
>>> in article [email protected], Jeffrey
>>> Turner at [email protected] wrote on 3/9/04 11:04 PM:
>
>> Genetic drift may explain why there are similar but not
>> identical species of finch (or somesuch) in England and
>> Ireland but it hardly seems hold any answers for the more
>> complicated examples of evolution.
>
> I would side with Gould and Lewontin (Spandrels of San
> Marco) on the notion that drift is the default explanation
> for all of these phenomena unless shown to be
> insufficient. A gut feeling that it is insufficient may
> prove to be right, but it is not a basis for critical
> judgment.

Dennett has already effectively undercut the comparison of
exaptations to "spandrels", since the so-called spandrels
(apparently the correct term for what G & L discuss is
pendentives) are in fact an architectural choice, not an
architectural necessity. In any case I thought the point of
that paper was that some features are byproducts of
selection, not positive products of drift.

Given my previous attempt on this thread to differentiate
phenomena primarily attributable to selection from phenomena
primarily attributable to drift (all are in fact products of
both), I would request that you clarify what you mean by
"all of these phenomena". The English and Irish finches may
meet the requirements of a default assumption for drift, but
they may not, and drift only qualitifies as a default
assumption for a limited set of observed phenotypic
differences.

Yours

Bill Morse

Larry Moran wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 05:02:54 +0000 (UTC), Jeffrey Turner
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Guy Hoelzer wrote:
>

> [snip]
>

>>>Hmmm. I think it is safe to say that drift is causing
>>>evolution in every population all the time, including
>>>during speciation.
>>
>>Define evolution without speciation and without
>>adaptation. If all you mean is that as time passes, drift
>>happens then I stand by my assertion that this is a
>>biochemical rather than evolutionary process.
>

> The minimal definition of evolution is "a change in the
> heritable characteristices of a population over time."
> This does not require speciation. The change can be due to
> random genetic drift or natural selection or possibly
> other mechanisms. All scientists agree that it's possible
> to have evolution without speciation and without
> adaptation.

Yeah, well. Given that loose a definition, sure it is. Drift
is ubiquitous. It just isn't very important in the real
world. Be glad you've got college boards of trustees to pay
your salaries.

> This is the 21st century and this is sci.bio.evolution.

Gosh, thought I could sneak that by ya...

> We shouldn't have to be explaining the scientific
> definition of evolution to people who post here.

Spending all that time in academe, I'm surprised you can
post in plain English at all.

> We shouldn't have to be defending random genetic drift
> against those who would dismiss it as a mechanism of
> evolution.

Electrical circuits all have noise, too. In understanding
the mechanisms we generally time average measurements so
that noise doesn't get in the way of our understanding of
fundamental principles. Go study your genetic noise, I won't
interrupt your navel gazing again.

> Those sorts of things should be moved to talk.origins or
> some other newsgroup that's intended for people who don't
> know much about evolution.

Zounds, thou hast cut me to the quick. I know enough about
evolution to realize that genetic drift doesn't explain
anything about it. Drift happens, yawn.

--Jeff

--
A man, a plan, a cat, a canal - Panama!

Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has;
That's how we pass the day away, in the merry old land of
Oz.

<< What is evolution if it isn't temporal variation,
too? Indeed, the standard definition of evolution could
be summarised as "temporal variation, nothing more or
less" as well.

Bob >>

But can we go further and say 'what isn't genetic drift (in
the most broad sense of the word)

>>JT:- I would say that those who posit genetic drift as a
>>major process in evolution are devolving. They are
>>postulating ignorance as knowledge. I think the elevation
>>of know-nothing-ism may be a sign of inbreeding.

> LM:- Now that's an interesting point of view .... You've
> just insulted most professsional evolutionary
> biologists, every population geneticist, and the vast
> majority of molecular biologists. That tells me more
> about you than it does about them.

> JE:- Mr Moran is just emotionally defending his own tribe.
> Drift is temporal variation, nothing more or less.

BOH:- What is evolution if it isn't temporal variation,
too? Indeed, the standard definition of evolution could
be summarised as "temporal variation, nothing more or
less" as well.

JE:- I believe it was Darwin's grandfather, Erasmus Darwin
who attempted by inevitably failed to produce a theory of
evolution just using variation. Non testable theories of
evolution abounded before Darwin came up with a testable
view. Quite obviously, variation without selection cannot
produce evolution any more than anarchy without rules can
produce a social system. Selection without drift can produce
evolution but drift without selection, cannot. No form of
variation can alone, produce evolution, period. To suggest
that random variation can produce evolution is simply,
absurd. What has happened here is that gene centric Neo
Darwinists have yet again misused over simplified models of
evolution. Drift cannot compete against selection to cause
evolution because drift is entirely dependent on selection
to cause any evolution in-the-first-place. Drift as temporal
variation _compliments_ selection it does not replace
selection. Unfortunately Neo Darwinism is littered with
examples of simplified oversimplified model misuse. This
misuse is always the same:

(1) A testable theory is simplified into a
mathematical model.
(2) The model is then allowed to contest and win against the
theory from which it was oversimplified.

The action of (2) is absurd.

This process has been underwritten using Post Modern
Epistemology which simply deletes the need for any
scientific view to be testable against nature.

If you challenge such people they respond by suggesting that
nothing is really testable anyway, so why bother! They also
respond with the view that cause and effect can validly be
ignored within any scientific discourse. Such views are
utterly childish and insult the progress that science has
achieved against monstrous prejudice.

The only valid use an over simplified model can have is to
help test the theory from which it was simplified. It cannot
validly contest and win against that theory.

Regards,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

> JE:- Mr Moran is just emotionally defending his own tribe.
> Drift is temporal variation, nothing more or less. All LM
> has to do to prove this to himself is do a simple thought
> experiment. He simply refuses to attempt it.

PF:- Better being AEVASIVE by SEPTIC-humored significance
spotting and naming, than by 'septal' (as in
compartmentalized) conceptual sophistication for its own
sake, don't you think? ;-)

JE:- The refusal of the pope to look through Galileo's
telescope was not just AEVASIVE it was also based on
ordinary, stupidity. IMHO science can only address the
stupidity of such inaction.

Respectfully,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

BOH:-
>>What is evolution if it isn't temporal variation, too?
>>Indeed, the standard definition of evolution could be
>>summarised as "temporal variation, nothing more or less"
>>as well.

> TH:- But can we go further and say 'what isn't genetic
> drift (in the most broad sense of the word)

JE:- Yes. The epistemology of science has to choose between:

(1) Everything is just a random process which can now and
again produce non random patterns.

(2) Everything is a non random process which sometimes
produces random patterns.

(3) Both random and non random processes exist where the
separation of basic reality into two different types of
processes is testable against nature.

Which one do you choose and why?

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 05:28:36 +0000 (UTC),
John Edser <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> I believe it was Darwin's grandfather, Erasmus Darwin who
> attempted by inevitably failed to produce a theory of
> evolution just using variation. Non testable theories of
> evolution abounded before Darwin came up with a testable
> view. Quite obviously, variation without selection cannot
> produce evolution any more than anarchy without rules can
> produce a social system. Selection without drift can
> produce evolution but drift without selection, cannot. No
> form of variation can alone, produce evolution, period. To
> suggest that random variation can produce evolution is
> simply, absurd. What has happened here is that gene
> centric Neo Darwinists have yet again misused over
> simplified models of evolution. Drift cannot compete
> against selection to cause evolution because drift is
> entirely dependent on selection to cause any evolution in-the-first-
> place. Drift as temporal variation _compliments_ selection
> it does not replace selection. Unfortunately Neo Darwinism
> is littered with examples of simplified oversimplified
> model misuse.

John, you do not understand the process of random genetic
drift in spite of the fact that it has been explained to you
many times over the past few years.

You've made up your mind that drift = variation and you keep
repeating that false mantra over, and over, and over .....

It's impossible to have an intelligent discussion with you
because your mind is closed to the possiblity that you
might be wrong.

Larry Moran

[snip]

> I believe it was Darwin's grandfather, Erasmus Darwin who
> attempted by inevitably failed to produce a theory of
> evolution just using variation. Non testable theories of
> evolution abounded before Darwin came up with a testable
> view. Quite obviously, variation without selection cannot
> produce evolution any more than anarchy without rules can
> produce a social system. Selection without drift can
> produce evolution but drift without selection, cannot. No
> form of variation can alone, produce evolution, period. To
> suggest that random variation can produce evolution is
> simply, absurd. What has happened here is that gene
> centric Neo Darwinists have yet again misused over
> simplified models of evolution. Drift cannot compete
> against selection to cause evolution because drift is
> entirely dependent on selection to cause any evolution in-the-first-
> place. Drift as temporal variation _compliments_ selection
> it does not replace selection. Unfortunately Neo Darwinism
> is littered with examples of simplified oversimplified
> model misuse.

LM:- John, you do not understand the process of random
genetic drift in spite of the fact that it has been
explained to you many times over the past few years.

JE:- Please do not insult my intelligence. There is nothing
to understand. Genetic drift is just random sampling error,
nothing more and nothing less. It does not matter if you
employ random sampling error within allopatric effects like
the founder effect or more complex sympatric effects. AT ALL
TIMES drift just remains the process of random sampling
error. A child of 10 can understand what a random sampling
error is! It is what gene centric Neo Darwinists have done
with random sampling error that constitutes a gross error.

LN:- You've made up your mind that drift = variation and
you keep repeating that false mantra over, and over, and
over .....

JE:- It is not false and it is not a mantra. Your arrogance
is beyond belief. The gene centric Neo Darwinian chant that
evolution is "any gene freq change in a deme" is just a
misused gene centric model, that is all. Once again I
challenge you to compete a thought experiment that can prove
that genetic drift is nothing more than temporal variation.

LO:- It's impossible to have an intelligent discussion with
you because your mind is closed to the possiblity that
you might be wrong.

JE:- Arrogant nonsense. It is you and not me who refuses to
attempt a simple thought experiment. Do you really think
that just because most people agree with you that this means
the testing of your view can be put to one side? Where were
you taught such arrogant nonsense?

Best Wishes,

TomHendricks474 wrote:
> << What is evolution if it isn't temporal variation, too?
> Indeed, the standard definition of evolution could be
> summarised as "temporal variation, nothing more or less"
> as well.
>
> Bob >>
>

> But can we go further and say 'what isn't genetic drift
> (in the most broad sense of the word)

Well, we could use a diffusion model, in which drift
wouldn't be drift.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. To translate, selection would be
the difference between the expected allele frequencies at
two times points.

The "expected allele frequencies" are the mean allele
frequencies if we replicated the experiment/observations
many times (this is not a precise definition - but I hope
you undersand the idea - I don't want to get sidetracked
into discussing the philosophy of statistics).

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Results - EEB: http://www.jnr-eeb.org

> TH:- But can we go further and say 'what isn't genetic
> drift (in the most broad sense of the word)

BOH:- Well, we could use a diffusion model, in which drift
wouldn't be drift. Sorry, I couldn't resist. To translate,
selection would be the difference between the expected
allele frequencies at two times points.

JE:- Typically BOH replaces testable reality with just his
"expectations" of it. In simple terms such an absurd event
is termed: propaganda. The master was Stalin. He turned
reality into his "expectations" and millions perished.

BOH:- The "expected allele frequencies" are the mean allele
frequencies if we replicated the experiment/observations
many times (this is not a precise definition - but I hope
you undersand the idea - I don't want to get sidetracked
into discussing the philosophy of statistics).

JE:- Of course BOH does not "want to get sidetracked into
discussing the philosophy of statistics" because he does not
want to be "sidetracked" by any testable reality.

Best Wishes,

John Edser wrote:
>>TH:- But can we go further and say 'what isn't genetic
>>drift (in the most broad sense of the word)
>

> BOH:- Well, we could use a diffusion model, in which drift
> wouldn't be drift. Sorry, I couldn't resist. To translate,
> selection would be the difference between the expected
> allele frequencies at two times points.
>
> JE:- Typically BOH replaces testable reality with just his
> "expectations" of it. In simple terms such an absurd event
> is termed: propaganda. The master was Stalin. He turned
> reality into his "expectations" and millions perished.

BOH:- John, please read up on simple probability theory
before you write another post ridiculing expectations. They
have a precise mathematical definition, which you seem to be
totally unaware of.

As for testability, you might like to read up about a
wonderful subject called "statistics". It's used to fit
models to data, which is an esential component of testing
hypotheses. One of the things you can do is to estimate
expected values (e.g. of allele frequency changes).

JE:- Once again BOH asks us to replace a testable reality
with just his expectations of it. The proper use of
probability theory is to attempt to predict reality and not
to replace it! Why do you think that "selection would be the
difference between the expected allele frequencies at two
times points" when the actual selective event between two
time points is just the simple difference between the number
of fertile forms reproduced for each parent in the same
population? Why do you wish to replace your non testable
abstract view of one selective event with Darwin's simple,
testable view of it? The aim of science is not to just
dictate what nature is but to allow the process of
refutation to separate contesting ideas allowing the
evolution of testable theories of nature. I am "ridiculing
expectations" not because they are expectations but because
you were grossly misusing them. Your expectations have to be
tested against what is NOT just an expectation otherwise you
are just dictating what nature is.

Statistics is only a mathematical system for distinguishing
random events from non random events so that a correlation
can exist. A correlation is not a theory of cause and
effect. Statistics cannot create one for you, you have to
create the theory that explains any valid (non random)
correlation that statistics may come up with.

Best Wishes,

John Edser Independent Researcher PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW
2105 Australia

[email protected]

Hi Bill,

in article [email protected], William Morse
at [email protected] wrote on 3/15/04 8:38 AM:

> Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> in article [email protected], Jeffrey
>> Turner at [email protected] wrote on 3/11/04 4:44 PM:

>>> Genetic drift may explain why there are similar but not
>>> identical species of finch (or somesuch) in England and
>>> Ireland but it hardly seems hold any answers for the
>>> more complicated examples of evolution.
>>
>> I would side with Gould and Lewontin (Spandrels of San
>> Marco) on the notion that drift is the default
>> explanation for all of these phenomena unless shown to be
>> insufficient. A gut feeling that it is insufficient may
>> prove to be right, but it is not a basis for critical
>> judgment.
>
> Dennett has already effectively undercut the comparison of
> exaptations to "spandrels", since the so-called spandrels
> (apparently the correct term for what G & L discuss is
> pendentives) are in fact an architectural choice, not an
> architectural necessity. In any case I thought the point
> of that paper was that some features are byproducts of
> selection, not positive products of drift.

I don't have any quotes on hand, but my memory of that
article is that it includes both types of arguments. The
authors do not bow to selection as the sole source of
evolutionary change to which all non-adaptive changes must
have been tied.

> Given my previous attempt on this thread to differentiate
> phenomena primarily attributable to selection from
> phenomena primarily attributable to drift (all are in fact
> products of both), I would request that you clarify what
> you mean by "all of these phenomena".

In the context of the discussion, I meant both minor
distinctions between sibling species and "more complicated
examples of evolution."

> The English and Irish finches may meet the requirements of
> a default assumption for drift, but they may not, and
> drift only qualitifies as a default assumption for a
> limited set of observed phenotypic differences.

Hmmm. Can you name one example of an "observed phenotypic
difference" for which drift would not qualify as a "default"
explanation?

Guy

in article [email protected], Jeffrey Turner at

> Guy Hoelzer wrote:
>> in article [email protected], Jeffrey
>> Turner at [email protected] wrote on 3/11/04 4:44 PM:

>>> It seems to me that genetic drift is a biological
>>> process or a chemical process but it isn't a very
>>> important process in the evolution of new species.
>>
>> Hmmm. I think it is safe to say that drift is causing
>> evolution in every population all the time, including
>> during speciation.
>
> Define evolution without speciation and without
> adaptation. If all you mean is that as time passes, drift
> happens then I stand by my assertion that this is a
> biochemical rather than evolutionary process.

The definition is easy enough, because the standard
definition does not evoke either speciation or adaptation.
Evolution is generally defined as change in the heritable
aspects of form (phenotype when focusing on individual
organisms) within a population over time. This should come
as a welcome revelation to anyone interested in studying
adaptation and speciation because it provides a context in
which those specific aspects of evolution can be understood.

>> It might be the case that selection often plays an
>> important role in terminating gene flow between
>> subpopulations, or in establishing genomic
>> incompatibilities between them. I'd say that is mostly an
>> empirical question at this point.
>
> Why would drift cause those things?

Why wouldn't drift cause those things? Is there something
preventing drift from leading to these effects? I don't see
anything that would interfere with drift having these
effects in the same way it can lead to anagenetic evolution.

[snip]

>> Drift is a process. Saying "less drift" in smaller
>> populations is like saying there would be "less football"
>> if you only allowed 10 players per team. The notion of
>> "less drift" is not sensible to me. One of the most
>> direct ways to measure the strength of drift (often
>> called effective population size) is to track the
>> amplitude of allele frequency fluctuations from one
>> generation to the next. In a small group of closely
>> related individuals containing little genetic variation,
>> you would observe strong drift in the frequencies of
>> segregating alleles.
>
> So you're saying that small changes that are magnified by
> really small sample sizes are meaningful? I think having
> too many people who have to justify their existence within
> the biology academe is driving evolutionary theory rather
> than any real enhancement of our understanding of nature.

This is YOUR interpretation of my comments. I did not, and
would not, write them. Note that your comments would throw
Darwinism out with the proverbial drift-"bath water",
because Darwin argued that adaptive evolution happens by the
accumulation of many small changes. I suspect that you did
not mean to argue against Darwin's view, but that you
achieved this through your zeal to dismiss drift.

I would also argue that the expansion of evolutionary theory
represented by development of the Neutral Theory of
Molecular Evolution involved a significant increase in the
scale of evolutionary perspective, not a shrinking of it.
For example, it shifted the focus from polymorphism to
fixations of alleles in populations.

[snip]

>> In very small populations, mutations that have small to
>> moderate fitness effects drift as if they were completely
>> neutral. This is the main point of Ota's Nearly Neutral
>> Theory, and establishes the basis for the mutational
>> meltdown model. In other words, when talking about drift
>> in small populations we are not limiting the discussion
>> to "non-adaptive" mutations.
>
> That's silly. If population sizes are shrinking, either
> extinction will follow _or_ a mutation could foster
> renewed success. I don't think that the really small
> populations where genetic drift is "important" are stable.
> At some point, beneficially adaptive mutations would have
> to distinguish themselves from drift.

I don't think you can dismiss the Nearly Neutral Theory as
merely "silly." You might want to understand the theory and
the evidence a little better before you conclude that it is
not worth a thought.

>> I get the sense that your view is that small populations
>> in which drift is particularly strong tend to go extinct
>> and thus don't contribute much to evolution. I think this
>> idea is misguided on many fronts, but I will just point
>> out here that drift happens in every finite population
>> (=every real population). Fisher's fundamental theorem of
>> natural selection provides a good reason to think that
>> heritable variation for fitness is generally kept quite
>> small by natural selection, thus limiting the potential
>> role for selection in natural populations relative to the
>> omnipresent role of drift. I think this logic alone is
>> sufficiently compelling to prevent dismissal of the
>> importance of drift at any scale, including organismal
>> phenotypes and large populations. This argument does not
>> settle the question, but it keeps the question open IMHO.
>
> You drifters should go back to statistics where you
> belong. Fisher's theorem is just more mathematical mumbo
> jumbo. Defining fitness as the "population dynamic
> growth rate"?

I don't know your background or how your views were
derived, but you seem to lump together some strange groups.
Fisher, for example, was a staunch selectionist whom you
throw in with "the drifters." On the other hand, I would
agree that drift has been more successfully represented
with statistical models than selection has been. I don't
hold this against the notion of drift. My personal views
are more strongly influenced by the physics of dynamical
systems, which generically exhibit a balance between
stochastic (chaotic) forces (e.g., mutation, drift) and
deterministic forces
(e.g., selection). Whole systems (e.g., the process of
evolution) cannot generally persist without either
source of change, so I think it is silly to dismiss
either as relatively unimportant.

> "After Price the fundamental theorem regained some of its
> glory as a correct mathematical statement (e.g., Frank and
> Slatkin, 1992; Edwards, 1994; Burt, 1995). But selection
> by density dependent competitive interactions shows that
> the distinction between a partial and a total change in r
> does not save Fisher's idea of a partial increase in r
> (Witting, 2000a). Instead of a partial increase we may
> expect a partial decline when the level of interactive
> competition is sufficiently high. It is only when the
> organism lives in a density independent environment that
> the fundamental theorem seems to hold as a general
> principle. At this limit the theorem defines a law of hyper-
> exponential increase in the population abundance (Witting,
> 2000b); a law that includes the Malthusian law of
> exponential increase (Malthus, 1798) as the special case
> with no evolutionary potential."
>
> http://www.peregrine.dk/subjects/FISH.HTM

This may all be true, but I don't see the relevance to
anything I wrote. I also noticed that you enthusiastically
embrace statistical modeling when you feel that you can use
this approach to validate your ideas.

>>> Genetic drift may explain why there are similar but not
>>> identical species of finch (or somesuch) in England and
>>> Ireland but it hardly seems hold any answers for the
>>> more complicated examples of evolution.
>>
>> I would side with Gould and Lewontin (Spandrels of San
>> Marco) on the notion that drift is the default
>> explanation for all of these phenomena unless shown to be
>> insufficient. A gut feeling that it is insufficient may
>> prove to be right, but it is not a basis for critical
>> judgment.
>
> Spandrels are a horrible analogy. The stresses on the
> pipes of the Roman acqueducts would be much worse without
> them. Would the acqueducts have survived without them?
> Probably but only due to a degree of over-engineering
> found in Roman civil engineering but not in nature.

I did not intend to invoke or rely in any way on the use of
spandrels to illustrate non-adaptive structures. I only
meant to invoke the essence of the argument by Gould and
Lewontin. The absence of function should be taken as the
null explanation for any structure, and critical research is
needed to show otherwise. By critical, I mean research
designed to force the evidence to lead you screaming and
kicking from the null (neutral) hypothesis. Assuming that
structures are adaptations (even worse, the consequence of
the process of natural selection) undermines your ability to
study and understand adaptive evolution.

>>> Quantum physics explains things that couldn't be
>>> explained by classical physics. Heisenberg described
>>> fundamental limitation built into the nature of matter.
>>> Genetic drift seems more like just throwing up your
>>> hands and saying you can't figure out the reasons for
>>> speciation.
>>
>> Well, it is not about speciation. It is about evolution,
>> some of which occurs during speciation events. The idea
>> of "giving up" is interesting here. I would say that
>> giving up when there is a relevant reason for a
>> phenomenon is no worse than assuming that every
>> phenomenon has a relevant reason. If this is not true,
>> and I am rather certain that it is not, then relying on
>> this false assumption to underpin a scientific program
>> would be a big mistake.
>
> I suppose if one wants to define evolution as, merely,
> what happens in biological populations over time then
> drift is one phenomenon. It can't really explain anything,
> but it does describe some genetic frequencies. Some people
> have blue eyes and some have hazel eyes, ho hum. It's the
> upright posture, intelligence and opposable thumb that are
> the important characteristics of humans. All electrical
> signals have thermal noise but the information is in the
> signal not the noise.

It is good to know that you have figured out which questions
about evolution are interesting and which are not. I used to
think that it was a healthy aspect of science that every
scientist gets to decide these things for themselves.

Guy

John Edser wrote:
>>TH:- But can we go further and say 'what isn't genetic
>>drift (in the most broad sense of the word)
>

> BOH:- Well, we could use a diffusion model, in which drift
> wouldn't be drift. Sorry, I couldn't resist. To translate,
> selection would be the difference between the expected
> allele frequencies at two times points.
>
> JE:- Typically BOH replaces testable reality with just his
> "expectations" of it. In simple terms such an absurd event
> is termed: propaganda. The master was Stalin. He turned
> reality into his "expectations" and millions perished.

John, please read up on simple probability theory before you
write another post ridiculing expectations. They have a
precise mathematical definition, which you seem to be
totally unaware of.

As for testability, you might like to read up about a
wonderful subject called "statistics". It's used to fit
models to data, which is an esential component of testing
hypotheses. One of the things you can do is to estimate
expected values (e.g. of allele frequency changes).

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 4 (Yliopistonkatu 5) FIN-00014 University of
Helsinki Finland Telephone: +358-9-191 23743 Mobile:
+358 50 599 0540 Fax: +358-9-191 22 779 WWW:
http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/ Journal of Negative
Results - EEB: http://www.jnr-eeb.org

GH:-
>snip<
Evolution is generally defined as change in the heritable
aspects of form (phenotype when focusing on individual
organisms) within a population over time. This should come
as a welcome revelation to anyone interested in studying
adaptation and speciation because it provides a context in
which those specific aspects of evolution can be understood.

JE:- No such context exists if the "change in the
heritable aspects of form (phenotype when focusing on
individual organisms) within a population over time"
remains entirely random.

>> It might be the case that selection often plays an
>> important role in terminating gene flow between
>> subpopulations, or in establishing genomic
>> incompatibilities
between
>> them. I'd say that is mostly an empirical question at
>> this point.

> Why would drift cause those things?

GH:- Why wouldn't drift cause those things? Is there
something preventing drift from leading to these effects?
>snip<

JE:- Why would anybody contest drift against selection as
causative in this case? Drift can only provide variation but
selection is required to measure which random varient was
fitter. Rates of drift can be controlled by

selection itself or adjusting the size of migrating and/or
breeding groups. Rates of drift _can_ be selected.
Therefore, "terminating gene flow between subpopulations" or
"establishing genomic incompatibilities between them", which
may provide real advantages to fertile individuals could be
selected as the most favourable rate of variation available
to selection. No group selection is involved here because
selected optimal rates of variation over time are only
additive at the Darwinian fertile individual level of
selection.

>> Drift is a process. Saying "less drift" in smaller
>> populations is like saying there would be "less football"
>> if you only allowed 10 players per team. The notion of
>> "less drift" is not sensible to me. One of the most
>> direct ways to measure the strength of drift (often
>> called effective population size) is to track the
>> amplitude of allele frequency
fluctuations
>> from one generation to the next. In a small group of
>> closely related individuals containing little genetic
>> variation, you would observe strong drift in the
>> frequencies of segregating alleles.

> So you're saying that small changes that are magnified by
> really small sample sizes are meaningful? I think having
> too many people who have to justify their existence within
> the biology academe is driving evolutionary theory rather
> than any real enhancement of our understanding of nature.

GH:- This is YOUR interpretation of my comments. I did not,
and would not, write them. Note that your comments would
throw Darwinism out with the proverbial drift-"bath water",
because Darwin argued that adaptive evolution happens by the
accumulation of many small changes.

JE:- Incorrect. Darwin suggested that "adaptive evolution
happens by the accumulation of many small changes" as caused
by SELECTION, a testable NON RANDOM PROCESS and _not_ via
just a random form of variation which cannot be tested as
causative, i.e. the random variation involved can never be
tested to only be caused by a random process.

Respectfully,