Day 10 - Newcastle to Gosford

dannii

Apr 15, 2003
ONLY ONE DAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I decided to leave Newcastle early this morning as I knew the day ahead would be a long one.

I left the warmth of my hotel room at around 5.30am. The skies were clear, but the winds had stayed strong. The strong SE wind made it bitterly cold this morning. The kind of cold that makes your eyes water, nostrils sting and and lungs burn. Luckily by the time I had hit Charlestown on the outskirts of Newcastle I had warmed up some what because this is where the real day began.

THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe the hills. To make it worse the winds were phenomenal. At times the wind was buffeting me so hard that it actually hurt my ears.....I had to pull over and roll some cotton wool balls up and put them in my ears to stop the pain.

fortunately by the time I had got to Swansea the winds had died down somewhat, but the hills were going nowhere. There was one bonus though, with all of the uphills there were some awesome and much welcomed downhills.

The terrain began to flatten heading into The Entrance, the winds were reasonable and the views spectacular. I stopped at The Entrance for a rest and something to eat at about 12.30pm.

The old legs and not to mention my protesting backside did not want to get back on the bike, but it was only about 20km to Gosford.

I was now coming into Erina Heights, the hilliest and windiest place on earth!!!!!!!!!! The worst thing of all was everytime I got myself a nice downhill run, some bright spark in town planning had decided to place a roundabout near the bottom.....preventing any chance of a run-up on the upcoming hill.

I arrived in Gosford at approx. 2.45pm. I headed straight for the hot shower, where i stood for about 30mins before hobbling out to my bed to apply copious amounts of dencorub.

My legs, ankles, knees and backside are now starting to complain constantly and the only thing that is keeping me going is the solace of knowing that it will all be over tomorrow. :)

Stats:
Total Km's = 92km's
Total Time = 7hrs 16mins
Avg Speed = A mere 14.2km/hr :(

dannii, sorry to hear about your bad day, but as you said; ONE DAY TO GO!!! Tomorrow it will all be over. :) :)
You're nearly where you're going to!

WELL DONE DANNI! EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR RIDE HAS IMMENSE ADMIRATION FOR YOUR COURAGE AND PERSEVERENCE!!!!! WE AT THE QUEENSLAND CANCER FUND FEEL HUMBLED THAT YOU HAVE DONE THIS FOR THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER, OUR SINCERE THANKS. KYM MCDOUGALL, BERNADETTE, AND THE TEAM.

where is your diary on Day 11.........everybody wants to hear about your last hours of your journey......your arrival ........at BMD in Sydney....celebrations.....champers .....party...etc. lee and mum and ben and chris...we love you and are very proud of you.

I wish i could have flown down to Sydney to meet you at BMD when you arrived there .......to surprise you....oh well ......i'll see you when you fly home Friday....love mum..i'm so so proud of you my beautiful daughter.....

HAVE A VERY HAPPY 24TH BIRTHDAY DANNII ON MONDAY....WHAT A GREAT WAY TO CELEBRATE......MUM

You did it ......but we knew you would...see you when you get back .......celebrate hard....ben and chris