General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Day after Thanksgiving cooking

Started by sarah bennett · · Last activity · 34 posts · 765 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 November 2005
Last activity
29 November 2005
Original author
sarah bennett
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
765
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right
    now I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill
    and parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a
    couple of pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also
    making a batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put
    some hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made
    something else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    --

    saerah

    "Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
    disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
    -Baruch Spinoza

    "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
    what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
    and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
    is another theory which states that this has already happened."
    -Douglas Adams

  2. "sarah bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right now
    I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill and
    parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a couple of
    pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also making a
    batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put some
    hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made something
    else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Today I made a Turkey Pot Pie (Emeril's recipe) and it was delicious!
    Guests (both invited and otherwise) raved over it because they were
    expecting the basic hot turkey sandwiches. Which is just a re-hash of
    yesterday's dinner (which wasn't so bad, AFAIC).

    The creamy gravy with the added vegetables is what make the pot pie
    different.

    Hope T-Day was great for you all and yours!

    Van

    in frigid Albany, NY

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sarah bennett said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right
    now I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill
    and parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a
    couple of pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also
    making a batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put
    some hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made
    something else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    More. ;-)
    I often have a few servings of turkey, dressing and gravy by itself, but
    most often the traditional hot turkey sandwich on toasted sourdough.

    We both love turkey so it often does not last long, and I just did that
    1/2 this year since there are just the two of us. It's nearly gone
    already.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Van said:

    "sarah bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right now
    I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill and
    parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a couple of
    pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also making a
    batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put some
    hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made something
    else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Today I made a Turkey Pot Pie (Emeril's recipe) and it was delicious!
    Guests (both invited and otherwise) raved over it because they were
    expecting the basic hot turkey sandwiches. Which is just a re-hash of
    yesterday's dinner (which wasn't so bad, AFAIC).

    The creamy gravy with the added vegetables is what make the pot pie
    different.

    Hope T-Day was great for you all and yours!

    Van

    in frigid Albany, NY

    Y'know, I'm going to have to try that.

    Who makes the best commercial (savory) crust?
    I'm not up to making a pie crust right now.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  5. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    Y'know, I'm going to have to try that.

    Who makes the best commercial (savory) crust?
    I'm not up to making a pie crust right now.

    I like the pillsbury crust that comes rolled up in the red box. i use it for
    both savory and sweet things. I can't make a pie crust t save my life and I
    use those all the time!

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  6. The Bubbo said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Y'know, I'm going to have to try that.

    Who makes the best commercial (savory) crust?
    I'm not up to making a pie crust right now.

    I like the pillsbury crust that comes rolled up in the red box. i use it for
    both savory and sweet things. I can't make a pie crust t save my life and I
    use those all the time!

    I used to buy the store brand before i bought a pastry cutter. both
    Meijer's and Aldi's were a-ok.

    --

    saerah

    "Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
    disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
    -Baruch Spinoza

    "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
    what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
    and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
    is another theory which states that this has already happened."
    -Douglas Adams

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    The Bubbo said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    Y'know, I'm going to have to try that.

    Who makes the best commercial (savory) crust?
    I'm not up to making a pie crust right now.

    I like the pillsbury crust that comes rolled up in the red box. i use it for
    both savory and sweet things. I can't make a pie crust t save my life and I
    use those all the time!

    Ooh good idea!
    That way I can get two so I can have a top!

    Thanks!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    The Bubbo <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I like the pillsbury crust that comes rolled up in the red box. i use it
    for
    both savory and sweet things. I can't make a pie crust t save my life and
    I
    use those all the time!

    Ooh good idea!
    That way I can get two so I can have a top!

    Check the box, there are probably two in there. Usually are.

    nancy

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    The Bubbo <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I like the pillsbury crust that comes rolled up in the red box. i use it
    for
    both savory and sweet things. I can't make a pie crust t save my life and
    I
    use those all the time!

    Ooh good idea!
    That way I can get two so I can have a top!

    Check the box, there are probably two in there. Usually are.

    nancy

    Thanks!
    I've never used commercial (raw) pie crusts before,
    so was not sure. I've not baked since mom passed away.

    She taught me how to make a cold water and oil crust,
    but I've never actually done it on my own.......

    yet.

    I've only ever made cheesecake or sweet crusts out of crumbled chocolate
    grahm crackers and melted butter.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    sarah bennett said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right
    now I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill
    and parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a
    couple of pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also
    making a batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put
    some hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made
    something else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    More. ;-)
    I often have a few servings of turkey, dressing and gravy by itself, but
    most often the traditional hot turkey sandwich on toasted sourdough.

    We both love turkey so it often does not last long, and I just did that
    1/2 this year since there are just the two of us. It's nearly gone
    already.
    --

    I had a 14 lb turkey for 3 of us and I should have gotten a bigger
    one! Aside from not being big enough for the long-anticipated
    leftovers meals, the drumsticks were too small and sinewy.

    I'm making stock for soup and wondering where I'm going to put it!

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  11. sarah bennett said:

    What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    I think I am going to make Emeril's turkey gumbo, from Louisiana Real
    and Rustic. It got such raves on eGullet, that I have been planning
    this for months. Supposedly a great use of the leftover turkey
    carcass.

    Christine

  12. sarah bennett said:

    What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    We both love turkey so there'll be sandwiches or leftovers straight from
    the fridge for a few days and then I'll probably make a pot pie with the
    dark meat, gravy and the last veggies.

    Dawn

  13. First night after I make hot turkey sandwichs for dinner. Kids think they
    are so special. haha

    2nd night after is turkey and dumplings. Yum.

    Lynne

    "sarah bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right now
    I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill and
    parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a couple of
    pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also making a
    batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put some
    hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made something
    else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    --

    saerah

    "Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
    disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
    -Baruch Spinoza

    "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
    what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
    and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is
    another theory which states that this has already happened."
    -Douglas Adams

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sarah bennett said:

    something else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Nothing. The leftovers are not at my house. I've instructed Girlchild
    to bring some turkey when she and Small Child arrive tomorrow. Told her
    to chuck the leftover pie - no one will eat it. Believe I'll ask her to
    bring some dressing, too. That's good with gravy.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!

  15. sarah bennett said:

    What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Jill's Turkey Cottage Pie for sure.

    Turkey a la King.

    Shred the dark meat (or white meat if you prefer to eat dark) and heat
    it in BBQ sauce. Serve on hamburger buns.

    Turkey noodle soup (I'm trying frozen egg noodles this year).

    Turkey fried rice.

    Carol
    --
    Wash away the gray to respond.

  16. "sarah bennett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right now
    I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill and
    parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a couple of
    pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also making a
    batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put some
    hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made something
    else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    --

    saerah

    We have company today: my best friend and her family (husband + 3 kids) and
    my BIL and his family (wife + 2 kids), and we decided it was a leftover and
    appetizer kinda day. We made:

    Golden Artichoke Dip
    Poor Man's Pate
    Taco Bites
    Pizza Bites
    Jalapeno Poppers
    Homemade Ranch with veggies for dipping

    Plus, I also set out the leftover turkey and roast beef, homemade dinner
    rolls, fruit salad, dressing, and gravy.

    Yumm.

    kimberly

  17. Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 25 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    sarah bennett said:

    What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Jill's Turkey Cottage Pie for sure.

    Turkey a la King.

    Shred the dark meat (or white meat if you prefer to eat dark) and heat
    it in BBQ sauce. Serve on hamburger buns.

    Turkey noodle soup (I'm trying frozen egg noodles this year).

    Turkey fried rice.

    Carol

    turkey quasdillias...

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  18. sarah bennett said:

    We always go to my sister-in-laws or my aunt's for Thanksgiving, but my
    SIL always gived me the turkey carcass and a bunch of leftovers. Right
    now I have turkey soup and chicken stock (was buying parsley and dill
    and parsnip anyhow) simmering on the stove, and veggies cut up for a
    couple of pot pies that I will make when the stocks are done. I'm also
    making a batch of tomato sauce with meatballs, but only because I put
    some hamburger meat in the fridge to defrost the other night and made
    something else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Turkey hash is really the only thing I cook new with the thanksgiving
    leftovers. James has eaten a bit of ham today -- once on a sandwich,
    and once with a baked potato -- but mostly we just eat the prepared
    stuff as it was yesterday. I've practically lived on Waldorf salad today.

    serene

  19. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote on 25 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Ooh good idea!
    That way I can get two so I can have a top!

    Thanks!
    --

    Go with a puff pastry top...

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  20. sarah bennett said:

    something else instead. What do you guys make with your lefotvers?

    Pumpkin pie pancakes. I made a big pie this year but still had lots
    of filling left, which I baked in a casserole along with the pie.

    This morning I made pancakes and added some extra filling, cut in
    pieces and mixed carefully so as to leave the pieces intact (rather
    than a uniform orange pancake). Wow- that was good! Tomorrow I'll
    add some walnuts.

    BTW, a while ago I posted my invention of adding "Apple Crisp" instant
    oatmeal to pancake batter. Well, last weekend I made real apple crisp
    and had quite a bit left over. I've been mixing some of that in with
    pancakes too. Yum!

    I have some cranberry raspberry sauce left over (which I made from
    craisins, as per a previous post). I might use that for either yogurt
    parfaits or in crepes with whipped cream.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.