De Luca

tasmart

Mar 13, 2004
OK, let me see if I understand this. DeLuca has been banned from the WC and faces a 4 month suspension. The basis for these action are that his hormone levels are out of whack. We don't have a 'positive" doping test, yet he's banned because it looks like he's been doping. So, since we do not have a doping positive, we can only ban him for 4 months because it looks like he's doping. Because if he's doping its a two year suspension and a 4 year from pro cycling events.

Am I the only one that thinks this make no sense? Cyclists now can be suspended because it looks like they are doping? Is a strong break away win now evidence enough?

Even though I believe that doping is common in the pro peloton, this is too much the "doping Nazi's" Enough. Prove it or let the riders ride. That or just do away with pro cycling (and high level amateur cycling also).

Frigo's Luggage said:
I believe that they have several incriminating audio tapes in the DiLuca case.

So why not the usual 2 year 4 year suspension?

Di Luca is under investigation in three separate cases:

1. Oil for Drugs, explained to some extent here
2. His brother or his brother's friend supposedly getting caught with Di Luca's blood bags, one version of the story explained here
3. he had the hormone levels of young, prepubescent child at a surprise CONI dope test near the end of the Giro (the suspicion is that he was using a masking agent) UCI has given other Di Luca test info to CONI so they can make a longitudianl comparison of his hormone levels over time.

The current four month ban is supposedly for the Oil for Drugs case-- where Di Luca consulted with a suspended dope doctor Carlo Santuccione (aka Ali the Chemist) despite the fact that his license to practice medicine was suspended. This case is also the case which caused Mazzoleni to "retire" from Astana. Keep in mind that Mazzoleni is the long-time boyfriend of Ivan Basso's sister, who is also under investigation in Operation Athena for being a dope trafficker and distributor. Her house was searched by police, although so far nothing seems to have come of it. CONI's prosecutor is Ettore Torri who is taking a very hard line and is very determined to really clean up Italian cycling......which I would say is an impossible task.