Road Cycling · Public discussion

Dealing with heat

Started by catzz66 · · Last activity · 59 posts · 1,422 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
27 June 2005
Last activity
2 July 2005
Original author
catzz66
Posts
59
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,422
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–59 of 59
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mostly cloudy skies today. High 68F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

    Currently 57F, light rain.

    I gotta put on the bike gear and get out of here -- see you later!

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referr­al/Cpetersky

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    Pat wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

    It breaks 75 F around here and everyone collapses from the extreme heat.

    And if ya wear shorts and short sleeves at 65 F,
    visitors from warmer climates are astounded.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  3. "Little Meow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    Pat wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

    It breaks 75 F around here and everyone collapses from the extreme heat.

    It was 97 when I went for a ride yesterday. The worst part about
    hot, sunny days is when I stop to take pictures, the bike seat
    gets hot enough to griddle my tender aspects.

    Ya know if you guys would just switch to metric you would feel a _lot_
    cooler. Instead of 97f you could be enjoying a brisk 36c.

    🙂

    --
    'What's an aptitude test?'
    'A suitability test, Ricky'
    'I'll wear a suit if I have to.'
    -from the trailer park boys

  4. Little Meow said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    Pat wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

    It breaks 75 F around here and everyone collapses from the extreme
    heat.

    It was 97 when I went for a ride yesterday. The worst part about
    hot, sunny days is when I stop to take pictures, the bike seat
    gets hot enough to griddle my tender aspects.

    Teflon-impregnated chamois! I'm gonna be RICH I tells ya!

    Bill "griddling aspects since {year withheld}" S.

  5. Bill Sornson said:
    Little Meow said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    Pat wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    > Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

    It breaks 75 F around here and everyone collapses from the extreme
    heat.

    It was 97 when I went for a ride yesterday. The worst part about
    hot, sunny days is when I stop to take pictures, the bike seat
    gets hot enough to griddle my tender aspects.

    Teflon-impregnated chamois! I'm gonna be RICH I tells ya!

    Bill "griddling aspects since {year withheld}" S.

    So you -have- tried spraying PAM on your butt - admit it, Bill! <eg>

    jj

  6. jj said:
    Bill Sornson said:
    Little Meow said:

    Claire Petersky wrote:

    > Pat wrote in message <[email hidden]>...
    >
    >> Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?
    >
    > It breaks 75 F around here and everyone collapses from the extreme
    > heat.
    >

    It was 97 when I went for a ride yesterday. The worst part about
    hot, sunny days is when I stop to take pictures, the bike seat
    gets hot enough to griddle my tender aspects.

    Teflon-impregnated chamois! I'm gonna be RICH I tells ya!

    Bill "griddling aspects since {year withheld}" S.

    So you -have- tried spraying PAM on your butt - admit it, Bill! <eg>

    I was young and..."curious".

    {STOP WRITING, BILL. STHU ALREADY.}

    Um, ha.

  7. Pat said:

    :
    : Yesterday my son-in-law started working in Texas. He commutes all over
    : the country for Accenture. He leaves for Texas on Monday and flies
    : back on Thursday. Some commute huh? Anyway, he called me and said
    : that the weather was so freaking hot, he wanted to be back in Jersey.
    : During the winter he was in Minneapolis.....and now that it is summer
    : he is commuting to Texas. He did have some time in Chicago. That was
    : relatively fine weather wise.
    : Maggie.
    :
    Hey! it's been warm, but it's only gotten to 95--okay, one day a month ago
    it was 99. But,this isn't "freaking hot". That comes in July and August.

    Pat in TX

    Too bad he missed spring. I must say, that was a mighty enjoyable
    couple of weeks. =]

  8. "jj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:11:11 GMT, "Bill Sornson"

    Quoted message said:

    So you -have- tried spraying PAM on your butt - admit it, Bill! <eg>

    Pam didn't appreciate being sat on last time I tried it...

    (was that out loud?)

  9. Bill Sornson said:

    jj wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So you -have- tried spraying PAM on your butt - admit it, Bill! <eg>

    I was young and..."curious".

    {STOP WRITING, BILL. STHU ALREADY.}

    Um, ha.

    You can always say it was for performance enhancement and leave it at
    that.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  10. Claire Petersky said:

    Mostly cloudy skies today. High 68F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

    Currently 57F, light rain.

    I gotta put on the bike gear and get out of here -- see you later!

    Sunny and steam bath in NYC. Only 82F but you can squeeze the air and
    have it rain. It was better before the sun came out. We're promised
    torrential downpours just in time for my commute home and radar sure
    seems to agree. Today is the first day that I'm biking since my knee
    acted up and I didn't want to punt so I dressed for rain. Bike shorts,
    bike shirt, and sandals. Brought the big light for the front and some
    blinkies for the rear.

    I forgot the f******g fender. I have one of those snap on fenders for
    the front and it will stay nice and dry in the garage. I, on the other
    hand, will get very wet.

  11. dgk said:

    I forgot the f******g fender. I have one of those snap on fenders for
    the front and it will stay nice and dry in the garage. I, on the other
    hand, will get very wet.

    Not sure what kind of bike you're riding (road, I imagine) but I
    recently got a set of "freddy fenders" from Performance for my trek
    hybrid. They fit very well and stay on permanently. I ride frequently
    on a crushed limestone bike path which is dusty as the Joad's truck; the
    fenders at least prevent my water bottle from becoming encrusted with
    the stuff.

    Dan

  12. dgk said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    Mostly cloudy skies today. High 68F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

    Currently 57F, light rain.

    I gotta put on the bike gear and get out of here -- see you later!

    Sunny and steam bath in NYC. Only 82F but you can squeeze the air and
    have it rain. It was better before the sun came out. We're promised
    torrential downpours just in time for my commute home and radar sure
    seems to agree. Today is the first day that I'm biking since my knee
    acted up and I didn't want to punt so I dressed for rain. Bike shorts,
    bike shirt, and sandals. Brought the big light for the front and some
    blinkies for the rear.

    Here in Toronto, the smog is so thick, you can write Ohio and
    Pennsylvania pollution sucks in the air. All this weighed down by a
    wall of humidity. If we get that forecast high of 33C (91F) the
    humidity index will be well past 40.

    W

  13. The Wogster said:
    dgk said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    Mostly cloudy skies today. High 68F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

    Currently 57F, light rain.

    I gotta put on the bike gear and get out of here -- see you later!

    Sunny and steam bath in NYC. Only 82F but you can squeeze the air and
    have it rain. It was better before the sun came out. We're promised
    torrential downpours just in time for my commute home and radar sure
    seems to agree. Today is the first day that I'm biking since my knee
    acted up and I didn't want to punt so I dressed for rain. Bike shorts,
    bike shirt, and sandals. Brought the big light for the front and some
    blinkies for the rear.

    Here in Toronto, the smog is so thick, you can write Ohio and
    Pennsylvania pollution sucks in the air. All this weighed down by a
    wall of humidity. If we get that forecast high of 33C (91F) the
    humidity index will be well past 40.

    W

    It's supposed to hit 110 F here in Tucson today. Guess its time to put
    away my sweaters.

  14. Pat said:

    : You asked the question of the day! 8D
    :
    : I just got back from a 6km ride, temp about 30C (86F).
    :
    : My roommates went out for a hike at 8am and were still out when I left for
    : my ride at 11:20.
    :
    : When I got back I had a HUGE grin on my face and my roomies were saying
    : "Chris, you really shoulda gone out earlier. How the heck do you deal with
    : that heat? It's nasty!"
    :
    : I LOVE the heat - it's like a huge warm hug. I'm used to MINUS 30 in the
    : winter and I hate being cold.
    :
    : OK - to address your question - I do these things:
    :
    : - don't eat a lot before a ride on a hot day.
    : - "pre-load" the fluids - usually a large glass of half water, half
    : cranberry juice.
    : - take three magnesium supplements and two multi-vitamins with the juice.
    : - bring a bottle of water/juice mix with a teaspoon of salt mixed in and
    : drink about a bottle an hour. (half or full quart, I think?)
    : - clothing: coolmax shortsleeved jersey, offwhite in colour (reflects a
    lot
    : of light & the mesh breathes very well)
    : - microfiber "bermuda shorts" - breathable, comfy (not form fitting), and
    : wick moisture away
    : - cotton/poly blend "boxer brief" underwear - keeps things from *ahem*
    : sticking...
    : - thin synthetic socks and jungle moccassin loafers; generally keeps feel
    : "coolish" though I'm sure I don't have the best footwear (I'm using
    platform
    : pedals, not clipless)
    :
    : Hope this helps!
    : Chris

    Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

    Pat in TX

    Actually, anything over 70 F is hot. Unless you have bad circulation.
    Sweat just starts pouring out and never stops. Ugh. Texas was a
    you-know-what oven in Summer.

    Look at where the wealthy go in Summer. And have for decades. It sure
    isn't to the Southwest or Florida.

    Ted Morton

  15. On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:30:53 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    catzz66 said:
    C.J.Patten said:

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

    Well... it'll be 96 tomorrow... and we do get 100+ from time to time.
    I guess my point is, what some consider hot, others don't.

    It's not unusual for it to be near 80 in the a.m. and mid 90s by the
    afternoon this time of the year in North Texas so the time of day makes
    a lot of difference.

    There's a lot of days here (near Phoenix, Arizona) where it doesn't
    get DOWN to 86 F. My afternoon ride today was "only" about 105 or so
    - 110 F isn't all that unusual.


    snip

    My God, this sounds like a living Hell. Wait a minute, maybe it IS
    Hell! Forced to sleep at night with the windows closed and the air
    conditioning on. Gives me a heat headache just to think about it. If
    not Hell, then some sort of penal colony.

    It's similar I guess to the middle east. From all the pics I see of
    that place, it's just another desert. Awful. No forests to cool them
    off in Suumer. Yep, a Living Hell. Can't imagine choosing to live
    there, or wanting to stay, unless one likes punishing oneself.
    Definitely not on the "Best of Planet Earth" video.

    Ted Morton

  16. Theodore Morton said:

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:30:53 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    catzz66 said:

    C.J.Patten wrote:
    > "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >>Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?
    >
    > Well... it'll be 96 tomorrow... and we do get 100+ from time to time.
    > I guess my point is, what some consider hot, others don't.

    It's not unusual for it to be near 80 in the a.m. and mid 90s by the
    afternoon this time of the year in North Texas so the time of day makes
    a lot of difference.

    There's a lot of days here (near Phoenix, Arizona) where it doesn't
    get DOWN to 86 F. My afternoon ride today was "only" about 105 or so
    - 110 F isn't all that unusual.


    snip

    My God, this sounds like a living Hell. Wait a minute, maybe it IS
    Hell! Forced to sleep at night with the windows closed and the air
    conditioning on. Gives me a heat headache just to think about it. If
    not Hell, then some sort of penal colony.

    It's similar I guess to the middle east. From all the pics I see of
    that place, it's just another desert. Awful. No forests to cool them
    off in Suumer. Yep, a Living Hell. Can't imagine choosing to live
    there, or wanting to stay, unless one likes punishing oneself.
    Definitely not on the "Best of Planet Earth" video.

    Ted Morton

    There are love the desert folks and hate the desert folks. I'm in the
    former group. Even at 110 here today I got in a nice ride in the
    morning. 9 months of the year it's perect out here. The other 3 months
    are better than summers or winters in the norhteast or upper midwest
    - at least for me.

  17. Theodore Morton said:

    Mark Hickey <[email hidden]>wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There's a lot of days here (near Phoenix, Arizona) where it doesn't
    get DOWN to 86 F. My afternoon ride today was "only" about 105 or so
    - 110 F isn't all that unusual.


    snip

    My God, this sounds like a living Hell. Wait a minute, maybe it IS
    Hell! Forced to sleep at night with the windows closed and the air
    conditioning on. Gives me a heat headache just to think about it. If
    not Hell, then some sort of penal colony.

    Far from it - just check the growth rate for the Phoenix, Arizona area
    and you'll see that it obviously has something going for it. One
    thing is that you can drive 2-3 hours to the north and be in MUCH
    cooler surroundings up by "the rim".

    The other thing is that, yes, while 110 degrees is plenty hot it's the
    WORST weather I have to put up with all year. No freezing rain,
    slush, sleet, damp, cold drizzly days where the sun hides for weeks on
    end. None o' that, thank you very much.

    Quoted message said:

    It's similar I guess to the middle east. From all the pics I see of
    that place, it's just another desert. Awful. No forests to cool them
    off in Suumer. Yep, a Living Hell. Can't imagine choosing to live
    there, or wanting to stay, unless one likes punishing oneself.
    Definitely not on the "Best of Planet Earth" video.

    You'd probably be surprised. The evenings DO cool down a lot more
    than most places - typically 30 degrees F or so... and even in the
    hottest part of the day, if you're not in the sun it's not really all
    that bad.

    Mark "it's a dry heat - a BIG dry heat" Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  18. Drink water, listen to your body. 90+F. no problem for a lizard like
    me. At the end of a hot day ride, I drink a concentrated helping of Gator
    Aid powder.

    catzz66 said:

    I started riding again last fall and had been riding about every day
    till I broke my arm and collarbone which knocked me off schedule for a
    few weeks. When that happened, the temps were in the 70s and 80s most
    days. Now it is quite a lot hotter. How do you all deal with the heat?

    I've been wearing light colored clothing, drinking lots of water, etc.
    I also tried wearing sandals instead of running shoes and that seemed to
    help as well. Usually I ride before the sun gets all the way up and the
    heat has not been a problem, but on the weekends I ride longer distances
    and can't really avoid it.

    P.S. I put an extra bottle rack on my old steel frame Fuji using zip
    ties and it is working out great so far.

    --
    Tp,

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )
    -----------------------------------------

    No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

  19. Picked up a couple of jerseys after my ride this a.m. Will give them a
    shot this weekend. Thanks for all the tips.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.