Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Death following the ATB

Started by Rory Williams · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,127 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
23 October 2006
Last activity
23 October 2006
Original author
Rory Williams
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,127
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dear all

    Those of you who were following the ATB last week will have seen that there was an accident on the which resulted in a person being transported the the Alfred Hospital. It was one of those reported as a 'heat attack'.

    I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

    As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

    Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on Thursday 19 October.

    I first met Tom in 1978 when I began senior Athletics. Over the years we ran in many races and he taught me may things about determination and discipline. He was also a well repected cross-country runner and rower. I the last two times I saw him was on the bike, at a previous ATB and one Sunday morning a year or so back down on Beach Rd.

    Please be careful out there

    RoryW

  2. On 2006-10-23, Rory Williams (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

    As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on
    the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen
    bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least
    seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

    Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on
    Thursday 19 October.

    Sorry Rory; this is rather terrible news.

    My condolences to everyone involved.

    --
    TimC
    ALU n. Arthritic Logic Unit, or (rare) Arithmetic Logic Unit. A random
    number generator supplied as standard with all computer systems. --unk

  3. Our condolences to Tom's family & friends.

    Vale Tom. 🙁

  4. Rory Williams said:

    As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on
    the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen
    bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least
    seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

    Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on
    Thursday 19 October.

    I heard that the other day - condolences to family and friends. It must be
    horrible for anyone else involved in the accident or who tried to help on
    the scene, too.

    BikeSA had the last of the 200km "Grand Slam" series yesterday (I came
    2nd, thanks to blatant cheating by someone who didn't stop with the
    rest of my group at a refreshment point!) It was much hillier and tougher
    than the ATB ride of the same distance, so I hope there were no similar
    disasters.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

  5. Rory Williams said:

    Dear all

    Those of you who were following the ATB last week will have seen that there was an accident on the which resulted in a person being transported the the Alfred Hospital. It was one of those reported as a 'heat attack'.

    I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

    RoryW

    I went past this incident as the ambulance arrived and hoped everything was ok. Sadly, this wasn't the case. There isn't anything to say to those close to the victim, except that your loss is shared. 🙁

    Ritch

  6. Rory Williams said:


    Dear all

    Those of you who were following the ATB last week will have seen that
    there was an accident on the which resulted in a person being
    transported the the Alfred Hospital. It was one of those reported as a
    'heat attack'.

    I have now been made aware that it was someone I knew.

    As I think has been reported earlier, A rider ahead struck an object on
    the road and fell off his bike. My friend was unable to avoid the fallen
    bike and fell himself. He suffered severe spinal damage to at least
    seven vertebrae which triggered a cardiac arrest.

    Over the next five days he failed to regain consciousness. He died on
    Thursday 19 October.

    I first met Tom in 1978 when I began senior Athletics. Over the years
    we ran in many races and he taught me may things about determination
    and discipline. He was also a well repected cross-country runner and
    rower. I the last two times I saw him was on the bike, at a previous
    ATB and one Sunday morning a year or so back down on Beach Rd.

    Please be careful out there

    RoryW

    --
    Rory Williams

    Tom sounds like an awesome character. My deepest sympathies
    to those close to him.

    Stay safe people.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.