Road Cycling · Public discussion

December bicycling gifts

Started by Claire · · Last activity · 18 posts · 865 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
24 December 2007
Last activity
12 January 2008
Original author
Claire
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
865
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    Warm Regards,

    Claire
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org

  2. Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul  by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled  by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    Warm Regards,

    Clairehttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org

    Claire,

    I checked those books out online. They look like a pretty good
    selection.

    It makes one sceptical of the idea that Santa travels using reindeer.

    Cullen

  3. Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    I got some rollers. Pretty cool, I've never tried them before. Way
    better than the trainer.

    Merry Happy.

    Robert

  4. Quoted message said:
    Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    I got some rollers. Pretty cool, I've never tried them before. Way
    better than the trainer.

    1. New rear wheel and cluster, so I can swap studded and regular tires
    easily.
    2. Daughter gave me a $25 gift certificate to kiva.org, a microfinance site.
    I've loaned money to a bike / moto repair shop in Cambodia.
    http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=28508

    --
    Mike Kruger
    Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

  5. I received a bicycle pump with a built-in air pressure gage and an extension
    at the bottom to step on to hold the device steady while pumping, very
    hi-tech. But I'm interested in the Kiva microfinance site mentioned, it
    seems to be a very good concept, almost like joining the peace corps without
    actually going anywhere or doing anything. I'm considering giving a loan,
    anyone else have experience with Kiva?

    JS

    "ZBicyclist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    I got some rollers. Pretty cool, I've never tried them before. Way
    better than the trainer.

    1. New rear wheel and cluster, so I can swap studded and regular tires
    easily.
    2. Daughter gave me a $25 gift certificate to kiva.org, a microfinance
    site. I've loaned money to a bike / moto repair shop in Cambodia.
    http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=28508

    --
    Mike Kruger
    Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    I got snowed out of riding on my days off work <grrrr>

    Quoted message said:

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Hey, me too (Dec 19). We're in good company -- lotsa
    musicians & composers.

    Quoted message said:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    I treated myself to a cantaloupe, which I left at
    basement temperature for a couple of days until it
    got nice & soft inside without being so mushy you
    could stick a finger through the rind. And a brick
    of vanilla ice cream with which to top it. I enjoyed
    a li'l nostalgic moment while savouring it, and
    honouring my parents who provided so much for me
    despite their Communistic and Socialistic tendencies.

    Tropical patterns, eh? I like 'em. Bike shorts
    should be available w/ Hawaiian shirt prints on 'em.
    With lots of lovely, glorious, gawdy colour.

    I'm also the recipient of a George Foreman G+Broil.
    I'm on the lookout for marlin steaks. In the
    meantime, the grilled cheeses are pretty good.

    But my niece -- she's such a beauty. From her I
    got this lovely mac-jacket with diamond-tufted
    insulated lining, an inner pocket, zipper + snap
    buttons, and built-in hoodie. In beautiful
    red & white, winter-coloured plaid (hey, she's stuck
    in somewhere, Col.) It feels so good to wear, it's
    like a hug.

    I got a hug from somewhere that gets a lot of snow
    in Colorado.

    It's beautiful to me, and just what I needed.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Keats) said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    I got snowed out of riding on my days off work <grrrr>

    Quoted message said:

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Hey, me too (Dec 19). We're in good company -- lotsa
    musicians & composers.

    Quoted message said:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    I treated myself to a cantaloupe, which I left at
    basement temperature for a couple of days until it
    got nice & soft inside without being so mushy you
    could stick a finger through the rind. And a brick
    of vanilla ice cream with which to top it. I enjoyed
    a li'l nostalgic moment while savouring it, and
    honouring my parents who provided so much for me
    despite their Communistic and Socialistic tendencies.

    Tropical patterns, eh? I like 'em. Bike shorts
    should be available w/ Hawaiian shirt prints on 'em.
    With lots of lovely, glorious, gawdy colour.

    Will you settle for a Hawaiian jersey?

    <http://www.gogirl.cc/store2/product.php?productid=16147&cat=62&page=2>

    Cycling shorts should be black for . . . privacy reasons.

    However any of these...

    http://www.dcwhawaii.com/hawnclothes/boardshorts.html

    Plus a chamois liner would be very nice.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
    Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

  8. Claire said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    For the above, plus my (December) birthday, I got:

    - Some books:
    Cycling Into Your Soul  by M. Archibald
    The Art of Urban Cycling: Lessons from the Street by Robert Hurst
    Metal Cowboy: Tales from the Road Less Pedaled  by Joe Kurmaskie

    - A tropical pattern saddle cover
    - And a pair of glo-gloves

    You?

    I was told that the bike shop managed to find someone in Asia with
    green Chris King hubs and a headset.

    I went on my first trip as a Bike China tour guide.

    I justified my purchase of a multi-tool with my being a tour guide. I
    haven't used it yet. I probably won't. But it fits nicely in my
    seatbag along with the tire levers and patch kit that I don't use.

    -M

  9. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Keats) said:

    ...
    Tropical patterns, eh? I like 'em. Bike shorts
    should be available w/ Hawaiian shirt prints on 'em.
    With lots of lovely, glorious, gawdy colour.

    Will you settle for a Hawaiian jersey?

    <http://www.gogirl.cc/store2/product.php?productid=16147&cat=62&page=2>

    Cycling shorts should be black for . . . privacy reasons....

    Would not the "Hawaiian" pattern mask the male bulges?

    You do NOT [1] want to be like this team:
    <http://ladybunny.net/blog/uploaded_images/download-1.php-729180.jpg>.

    [1] Well, if you do, that is way too much information to post to Usenet.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    POST FREE OR DIE!

  10. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tropical patterns, eh? I like 'em. Bike shorts
    should be available w/ Hawaiian shirt prints on 'em.
    With lots of lovely, glorious, gawdy colour.

    You could make them. The hardest part is getting a decent chamois for
    them. I've made a few pair. Of course, they are 15 years old now,
    and should move out of the drawer and into the trash bin, because the
    fabric has long since given it up.

  11. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Lynne Fitz said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Tropical patterns, eh? I like 'em. Bike shorts
    > should be available w/ Hawaiian shirt prints on 'em.
    > With lots of lovely, glorious, gawdy colour.

    You could make them. The hardest part is getting a decent chamois for
    them. I've made a few pair. Of course, they are 15 years old now,
    and should move out of the drawer and into the trash bin, because the
    fabric has long since given it up.

    <http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534
    374302692593&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442499537&bmUID=1198805356148>

    The MEC Liner shorts. At $27, they can be a cheap source of a liner for
    other shorts, or simply the way you convert other pants into cycling
    apparel.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
    Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

  12. email hidden said:


    I went on my first trip as a Bike China tour guide.

    I justified my purchase of a multi-tool with my being a tour guide. I
    haven't used it yet. I probably won't. But it fits nicely in my
    seatbag along with the tire levers and patch kit that I don't use.

    You live a charmed life, it seems. No flats?

    And where did you guide the tour? On Haikou?

  13. On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:21:39 -0800, [email hidden] (Tom

    Keats) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    I got snowed out of riding on my days off work <grrrr>

    I'm too contumacious to be denied a ride.

    Besides, Tuesday's turkey dinner was on the other side of the lump.
    Marpole's snow was falling as slush and not accumulating on the
    roads, sidewalks or lawns. By the time I got up to Oakridge I was
    riding on a few inches of full fledged snow. My major concern was to
    not break the bottle of wine and spoil the chocolates in a slush rut.

    It snowed for much of the evening. Getting home up Heather from
    Fairview was a bit trickier. I only dabbed a couple times. Once it
    was too slick to get restarted on the hill and I ended up walking the
    last block up to 33rd. Ave. That's when I decided to spring some bike
    jingle from Xmas belt sales and buy the Schwalbe snow studs at MEC as
    my gift to me.

    Boxing day I checked the MEC website, saw the tires were in stock, so
    rode over through the remaining slop.

    I'd forgotten to check the store hours. They were closed but it was a
    beautiful day for the ride.

    Today it was sort of snowing down here when I called MEC to confirm
    the tires were in stock. They'd sold the last two this morning. No
    new stock expected for at least six-weeks.

    By then I'm looking for cherry blossoms, not snow tires.

    Tomorrow I'll call around town and find out who has what _in stock_
    before resigning myself to putting new screws in the old home-brews .
    .. . again.
    --
    zk

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Zoot Katz said:

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:21:39 -0800, [email hidden] (Tom

    Keats) said:
    Quoted message said:

    Did you get anything for Xmas/Chanukkah/Yule?

    I got snowed out of riding on my days off work <grrrr>

    I'm too contumacious to be denied a ride.

    I'm trepidatious just /walking/ on ice, let alone
    riding on it. I'd make a lousy Canadian. I guess
    I'm just a Vancouver wuss.

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    Today it was sort of snowing down here when I called MEC to confirm
    the tires were in stock. They'd sold the last two this morning. No
    new stock expected for at least six-weeks.

    By then I'm looking for cherry blossoms, not snow tires.

    ....

    I got a li'l errand run in this morning (actually, yesterday
    morning -- afternoon shift screws up my sense of time.)
    Anyways, I spotted a Raleigh Twenty at the Ages Ago 2nd hand
    shop on Main @ 30th(?). The join in the main tube appeared
    more designed for taking-apart than for folding. A previous
    owner defiled the whole frame with a bad aluminum spray paint
    job. There wasn't a price tag on it.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  15. In article <rcousine-F0D21B.23523726122007@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tropical patterns, eh? I like 'em. Bike shorts
    should be available w/ Hawaiian shirt prints on 'em.
    With lots of lovely, glorious, gawdy colour.

    Will you settle for a Hawaiian jersey?

    All donations will be greatly accepted.

    But nobody needs a jersey just to get from A to B.

    A closetful of cotton T-shirts does quite fine,
    thank you. Hell, a closetful of cotton plaid
    collared shirts does the trick, while providing
    extra pockets. But then, this comes from a skinny
    guy who doesn't sweat much.

    The main thing about jerseys is, they're close fitting
    enough to keep stingy insects out.

    Quoted message said:

    <http://www.gogirl.cc/store2/product.php?productid=16147&cat=62&page=2>

    Cycling shorts should be black for . . . privacy reasons.

    They should be black for wiping your hands off on,
    after struggling through the throes of chainsuck.

    Quoted message said:

    However any of these...

    http://www.dcwhawaii.com/hawnclothes/boardshorts.html

    Plus a chamois liner would be very nice.

    I saw some nice clothing at Puff today, whilst
    purchasing a nice gift for my nextdoorikah (and
    myself.)

    I may go back there for an hat.

    Cycling-specific clothing is for people who have
    a layer of fat on 'em, and official racers.

    I'll daresay, chamoises aren't nearly as important
    as seam patterns that don't chafe. Bike shorts
    w/out the chamois would still be pretty good.
    But if you can find shorts or trousers that don't
    rub you the wrong way, they'd be pretty good too.

    My fat isn't physical :-)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  16. "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:ftEcj.5112$we6.1617@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering giving a loan, anyone else have experience with Kiva?

    Yes. We currently have three outstanding: one to a Vietnamese soy milk
    vendor, one to a Honduran clothing shop, and one to a Nigerian produce
    stand. The Nigeran and Vietnamese ones are nearly paid off, so we'll look at
    reinvestment soon. Our lender page shows me and my husband on the tandem:
    http://www.kiva.org/lender/claire2406

    Certain types of borrowers are very popular - for example, a project for
    clean water gets snatched up pretty quickly. If you see something/someone
    that you like, you should strike fast.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  17. Claire Petersky said:

    "John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:ftEcj.5112$we6.1617@trndny09...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm considering giving a loan, anyone else have experience with
    Kiva?

    Yes. We currently have three outstanding: one to a Vietnamese soy milk
    vendor, one to a Honduran clothing shop, and one to a Nigerian produce
    stand. The Nigeran and Vietnamese ones are nearly paid off, so we'll
    look at reinvestment soon. Our lender page shows me and my husband on
    the tandem: http://www.kiva.org/lender/claire2406

    Certain types of borrowers are very popular - for example, a project
    for clean water gets snatched up pretty quickly. If you see
    something/someone that you like, you should strike fast.

    Notes from a novice Kiva investor:
    1. The search engine seems to work poorly.
    2. Right now, perhaps due to Christmas and a mention on Oprah, the number of
    projects available is small. In fact, right at this exact moment it's zero.
    It's a supply and demand thing; the third world still needs capital.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

  18. On Dec 28 2007, 1:05 pm, Brian Huntley <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Dec 27, 10:53 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    I went on my first trip as a Bike China tour guide.

    Quoted message said:

    I justified my purchase of a multi-tool with my being a tour guide.  I
    haven't used it yet.  I probably won't.  But it fits nicely in my
    seatbag along with the tire levers and patch kit that I don't use.

    You live a charmed life, it seems. No flats?

    I really really _really_ don't want to say this but I've already
    thought it which means that the flat fairies are watching me but I
    haven't had a flat tire on the race bike yet (not in the first 1500km
    as a secondhand bike and not in the 600km on the new frame), or on the
    other road bike in the last 3500km or so (I've made atrocious mileage
    in the last 6 months). The mountain bike's first flat came at 2000km
    and in a race. The second and third flats were simultaneous, of
    indeterminate origin, and happened about 1000km later.

    This is to make up for 2006's charmed bike that got a flat
    approximately once every three days rain or shine.

    Quoted message said:

    And where did you guide the tour? On Haikou?

    Haikou is the city. Hainan is the island.

    Haikou -> Jinshan + transfer to Wenchang
    Wenchang -> Qionghai
    Qionghai + transfer to Xinglong
    Xinglong + transfer to Wuzhishan
    Wuzhishan -> Sanya

    -M

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.