Decompression From Cycling

srock

Jul 14, 2015
My leg muscles get very tight from cycling. I find jogging on pavement really helps to decompress my muscles. What stretches and reverse exercises do you use to decompress from cycling?

I think that when you are stretching to cycle you should want to use the same types of stretches you use when jogging.

I don't understand what decompression means. I presently have an occasional swelling on my leg muscle, just behind the shin. Perhaps it is that feeling of tightness in the muscle? But I always relax with my feet up when I reach home after biking. Normally, I sit in front of the tv to rest for at least 30 minutes with my feet resting on a stool so that probably would ease up the tension in my muscle.

That's a great point! Jogging can indeed help with muscle decompression after cycling. For stretches, I'd recommend focusing on your hamstrings, glutes, and calves. A figure-four stretch or a pigeon pose can be really effective for your glutes, while downward dog and calf raises can help with your hamstrings and calves. As for reverse exercises, I'd suggest incorporating some strength training into your routine, like squats and lunges, to help balance out the muscles you use while cycling. Keep up the great work and stay limber! :)