Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Deore DX with 34T cassette

Started by Anthony DeLorenzo · · Last activity · 13 posts · 937 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 October 2006
Last activity
5 October 2006
Original author
Anthony DeLorenzo
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
937
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Regards,
    Anthony

  2. Anthony DeLorenzo said:


    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    The Deore DX on my wife's bike handled a 34-tooth cog without
    complaining. Shimano is notoriously conservative with derailleur
    capacities.

    However, since you've got larger-than-standard pulleys on it now you
    *could* run into trouble. You're in uncharted waters, I guess. Careful
    reading of Sheldon's derailleur adjustment article:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html is warranted,
    particularly the sections on B-tension and chain length.

    Jeff

  3. "Anthony DeLorenzo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Regards,
    Anthony


    My commuter bike has a 34 tooth rear cassette cog and the Deore derailuer
    doesn't have a problem with it.
    I don't know exactly which model it is but I seriously doubt it is a super
    long cage.

  4. Anthony DeLorenzo said:

    I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work?

    Depends on where the rear derailleur mount is on your frame. If its
    long enough, then a Deore DX will clear a 34 tooth cog. If its not
    long enough, then it will only clear a 32 tooth cog. Only way to tell
    is to put the cog and derailleur and cnain on the bike and see. I had
    a Trek 520 and the 1991 Deore DX cleared the 7 speed 34 tooth rear cog.
    I changed to a Redline Conquest Tour frame and the 1991 Deore DX and a
    2005 Deore will not clear the 34 tooth cog. So I had to put the 32
    cassette cog on instead. Made a 1 gear inch difference in low gear.
    No big deal.

    What would be the consequences

    Quoted message said:

    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Regards,
    Anthony

  5. Anthony DeLorenzo said:

    I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Regards,

    Surte it'll work...'capacities' are conservative to say the
    least...particularly since you are using a single ring up front..just
    make sure you have enough chain to get onto the 34t.

    Quoted message said:

    Anthony

  6. Once again, thanks to r.b.t posters for the advice and information.
    I'll try the setup, see how it works and let you know. The interesting
    thing will be to see if the larger 11-tooth pulleys create more of an
    issue with clearing the 34-tooth cog.

    Regards,
    Anthony

  7. Anthony DeLorenzo said:


    I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Deore DX had a 7sp 13-34 cassette available. I knew someone who rode
    with one. So yes, it does work. I don't know about after your pulley
    swap though. Hopefully there's still enough clearance.

    7sp Deore DX and XT were the pinnacle of shifting reliabiity. It's been
    downhill ever since, in the name of slick shifts in bike store parking
    lots.

    Matt O.

  8. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Matt O'Toole said:
    Anthony DeLorenzo said:


    I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Deore DX had a 7sp 13-34 cassette available. I knew someone who rode
    with one. So yes, it does work. I don't know about after your pulley
    swap though. Hopefully there's still enough clearance.

    7sp Deore DX and XT were the pinnacle of shifting reliabiity. It's been
    downhill ever since, in the name of slick shifts in bike store parking
    lots.

    Really? I have had an XT derailleur and 7-speed 14-32
    cassette for yonks. Totally reliable. The second bike has
    an Ultegra 9-speed 13-23, is much younger, but gives no
    hints that it is not as reliable. Both have down-tube
    shifters.

    --
    Michael Press

  9. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Matt O'Toole said:
    Anthony DeLorenzo said:


    I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    the cage.

    It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    a 32T front.

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Deore DX had a 7sp 13-34 cassette available. I knew someone who rode
    with one. So yes, it does work. I don't know about after your pulley
    swap though. Hopefully there's still enough clearance.

    7sp Deore DX and XT were the pinnacle of shifting reliabiity. It's been
    downhill ever since, in the name of slick shifts in bike store parking
    lots.

    Really? I have had an XT derailleur and 7-speed 14-32
    cassette for yonks. Totally reliable. The second bike has
    an Ultegra 9-speed 13-23, is much younger, but gives no
    hints that it is not as reliable. Both have down-tube
    shifters.

    Ride both through ankle-deep dust or mud for awhile, and you'll see the
    difference.

    Matt O.

  10. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Matt O'Toole said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Matt O'Toole said:

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 19:26:47 -0700, Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:

    >
    > I recently overhauled a Deore DX derailleur that was in good shape,
    > including replacing the pulleys with new 11-tooth ones, which actually
    > required a little bending and grinding for the lower pulley to clear
    > the cage.
    >
    > It's a model similar to this one, long cage version:
    > http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/rear_derailleurs/arder-shimdx.shtml
    >
    > Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth cog. I have a new mountain
    > bike arriving this week that I am planning to build up, and I was
    > hoping to use the DX derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain setup with
    > a 32T front.
    >
    > The problem: I had hoped to use a large (34T) rear 'megarange'
    > cassette. Any chance I can make it work? What would be the consequences
    > of going beyond the recommended capacity?

    Deore DX had a 7sp 13-34 cassette available. I knew someone who rode
    with one. So yes, it does work. I don't know about after your pulley
    swap though. Hopefully there's still enough clearance.

    7sp Deore DX and XT were the pinnacle of shifting reliabiity. It's been
    downhill ever since, in the name of slick shifts in bike store parking
    lots.

    Really? I have had an XT derailleur and 7-speed 14-32
    cassette for yonks. Totally reliable. The second bike has
    an Ultegra 9-speed 13-23, is much younger, but gives no
    hints that it is not as reliable. Both have down-tube
    shifters.

    Ride both through ankle-deep dust or mud for awhile, and you'll see the
    difference.

    I see the difference now,
    but will remain on the pavement. (tires too skinny)

    --
    Michael Press

  11. Group: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Mon, Oct 2, 2006, 7:26pm (EDT-3) From:
    [email hidden] (Anthony DeLorenzo)

    Quoted message said:

    Apparently it could handle up to 32-tooth
    cog. I have a new mountain bike arriving
    this week that I am planning to build up,
    and I was hoping to use the DX
    derailleur as part of a 1x8 drivetrain
    setup with a 32T front.

    Quoted message said:

    The problem: I had hoped to use a large
    (34T) rear 'megarange' cassette. Any
    chance I can make it work? What would
    be the consequences of going beyond
    the recommended capacity?
    Regards,

    Quoted message said:

    Anthony

    Go ahead with the 34. Shimano is somewhat conservative in their ratings.
    Ever since they discontinued the "SuperPlate" design, I have been using
    regular Deore's with no problems for years, and that's with a 12-34
    7-Sp. cassette, 26-44-48 front.

    Trust me, it'll handle it.

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  12. On the rear of the derailer where it connects to the frame, you will see
    a small screw. This (If I remember correctly) is used to adjust the
    distance of the top pulley from the cog.

    Turning this screw in (clockwise) will cause the derailer to sit further
    back and pull the top pulley away from the cog somewhat, giving you a
    little leeway.

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  13. Chris Y.F.N.W. said:

    On the rear of the derailer where it connects to the frame, you will see
    a small screw. This (If I remember correctly) is used to adjust the
    distance of the top pulley from the cog.

    Turning this screw in (clockwise) will cause the derailer to sit further
    back and pull the top pulley away from the cog somewhat, giving you a
    little leeway.

    This is the "B-tension" adjustment. Already covered.

    Jeff

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.