Desperate

ptribble

Mar 30, 2004
I have just turned 62 years old and I have been riding consistently for 20 years plus. About 5 years ago I developed a chronic pain in my right buttock just about where my "sit bone" contacts my saddle. It feels like a hot poker. I BELIEVE it started after a day of pushing big gears in the mountains. It is aggravated when I am in an aero position with my hands on the drops and/or when I make a hard effort, such as into a headwind up a steep incline or a seated sprint. I can ride through the pain, but when it intensifies I have to back off until it fades a bit. Standing helps, but only temporarily. After I ride for 45 minutes to an hour, I can feel the pain in the bottom of my right foot. I do not believe that the problem is my saddle, my position, my cleats, my shoes or a failure to stretch properly. I have eliminated all of those possibilities. It also does not appear that a pinched nerve in my spine is causing the problem. (Stretching helps, but the pain persists.) I believe that this is what some refer to as "piriformis syndrome." I have seen several doctors, physical therapists and an accupuncturist, but no one has been able to help. My fear of the pain makes me avoid hard group rides that I used to like, even though I used to enjoy the challenge. At this point, by process of elimination, I have concluded that surgery is the only solution left. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about such surgery? Thanks.

Many friends and family have had a back related surgery in the last few years and most of them have not been happy with the results, (sorry to report) discomfort and pain persisting for the majority. How are your abs? Could strengthening them be an alternative course of action? In my late 20s I had chronic lower back pain after riding hard for an hour or so, long moderate rides were no problem. Of course being young I was not serious about conditioning. For the past 6 years I have been racing again but in the interim I had picked up a regular habit of situps and planks every other day. Wouldnt ya know I never had that old back issue during this time. Hope you find more info and a workable solution...

curby

Have you visited a sports physician/ Doctor? If no then i suggest you do, they specialize in you daily habits such as sleeping positions, sitting positions, muscular balance and every other possible way you could be hurting your self to make things worse. hope this helps! :cool:

mikey1010 said:
Have you visited a sports physician/ Doctor? If no then i suggest you do, they specialize in you daily habits such as sleeping positions, sitting positions, muscular balance and every other possible way you could be hurting your self to make things worse. hope this helps! :cool:

+1 on that!