Determining Bike Size

David_Zen

Jun 23, 2003
I don't yet have a road bike but the mountain bike I ride is a size 17 inches. I am about 5 ft 7 inches tall. I know someone who is selling a Trek road bike that is a size 50 cm. How do I determine if this bike is a good size for me? I know it's not too big. The person is selling at a good price and I would like to buy but the size issue is the only thing that has me hesitating.

Originally posted by David_Zen
I don't yet have a road bike but the mountain bike I ride is a size 17 inches. I am about 5 ft 7 inches tall. I know someone who is selling a Trek road bike that is a size 50 cm. How do I determine if this bike is a good size for me? I know it's not too big. The person is selling at a good price and I would like to buy but the size issue is the only thing that has me hesitating.

Just as a guess I would say a 52- 53 cm would fit you better and there are a lot of factors.People vary in anatomy one persons legs may indicate a 31 inch standover and another a 33 inch and they could be the same height and then there is the stem length, seat position,bar width,the type of riding you do and so on. Without going to a bike shop for sizing I suggest riding the bike and if it feels right it probably is ok.:confused:

Originally posted by David_Zen

Frame size (centre-to-centre) can be calculated by:

Inseam length in socks, feet about 15cm apart
x

Saddle height (top of saddle to centre of BB) should be the same inseam measurement x 0.885....but use this as a starting point only. Make small changes until you feel most comfortable

Good enough for Greg LeMond.

Originally posted by ed073
Frame size (centre-to-centre) can be calculated by:

Inseam length in socks, feet about 15cm apart
x

Saddle height (top of saddle to centre of BB) should be the same inseam measurement x 0.885....but use this as a starting point only. Make small changes until you feel most comfortable

Good enough for Greg LeMond.

Unfortunately not good enough for a lot of others. Anyone who is not "average" (what ever that means) in proportion will find it difficult to fit a bike sized on their inseam.
I take myself as an example. Depending on which way you look at it I have either a long pair of legs or a short torso for my height. My legs are long enough (according to Lemond's formula) to fit a bike with a 57cm seat tube. However based on my own experience I need somewhere around a 52~54cm top tube. If I rode a bike built by Lemond with the right seat tube I would be riding a 57 or 58 cm top tube way too long. similarly the 58cm trek that I'd also fit would be too long aswell. You can shorten the stem but I wouldn't go any shorter than 10cm (particularly on a steep American bike) because it will get more twitchy to handle.

I would mbe more inclined to size a bike based on Top tube measurement.
I curently ride a 54cm Trek with a MTB seatpost and a 10cm stem with a lot of stack height to get close to the posi I need.

A good formula for top tube (cm) is approximately given by (very approximately):
TT=(torso length+arm length)/2 + 4 - (stem lenghth)

For me this estimated a little on the short side but it can vary a bit based on what seat tube angle you decide to use and how far back your saddle has to be. The ultimate test is getting on the bike.