Professional Cycling · Public discussion

Deutschland Tour

Started by JRMDC · · Last activity · 140 posts · 13,627 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Professional Cycling
Published
24 July 2006
Last activity
10 August 2006
Original author
JRMDC
Posts
140
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
13,627
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 140
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK, everybody, stop babbling about the TdF, it's over!

    Just kidding...

    But, never too soon to start talking about the next significant stage race, the Tour of Germany, the Deutschland Tour. The Pro Tour race starts August 1st. 9 stages, counting the 12km TT on the first day.

    Who is riding? I haven't seen any reports other than Danielson for DC. Levi is defending champ, with Ullrich and Totschnig making the podium last year also.

  2. JRMDC said:

    OK, everybody, stop babbling about the TdF, it's over!

    Just kidding...

    But, never too soon to start talking about the next significant stage race, the Tour of Germany, the Deutschland Tour. The Pro Tour race starts August 1st. 9 stages, counting the 12km TT on the first day.

    Who is riding? I haven't seen any reports other than Danielson for DC. Levi is defending champ, with Ullrich and Totschnig making the podium last year also.

    It is kinda frustrating looking for French/english language info on the german races. I looked at the cyclassics site for info on that in either language and hey presto only in german. Surely recognised Pro tour classics can manage French and English on the official site?

  3. tiogar said:

    It is kinda frustrating looking for French/english language info on the german races. I looked at the cyclassics site for info on that in either language and hey presto only in german. Surely recognised Pro tour classics can manage French and English on the official site?

    For some reason, the official website is down, or under construction. At least I think it is the official site

    http://www.deutschland-tour.de/

    Maybe when it comes up it will have english. But I have had decent luck with babelfish for translation.

  4. JRMDC said:

    For some reason, the official website is down, or under construction. At least I think it is the official site

    http://www.deutschland-tour.de/

    Maybe when it comes up it will have english. But I have had decent luck with babelfish for translation.

    Thanks for the tip. It is ridiculous though isn't it? i mean french adn english are simply imperative languages in reaching the cycling audience worldwide which presumably both the Deutschland tour dn Hew classic want to do.

  5. tiogar said:

    Thanks for the tip. It is ridiculous though isn't it? i mean french adn english are simply imperative languages in reaching the cycling audience worldwide which presumably both the Deutschland tour dn Hew classic want to do.

    Lots of Italian and Spanish races have single language websites. I would think that a Pro Tour race would up the ante, however. I don't see French as an automatic choice, however. The biggest cycling countries/markets are France, Spain, and Italy, not necessarily in that order. Why not all three, and if you do one other language, what do you pick (besides English, I suppose)?

    Maybe French for the German races because France is closer?

    Note: I've got nothing against the French! 🙂

  6. My tuppence worth : I haven't found a site with english translation for the Deutsch Tour.
    (it's like Romandy and Tour De Suisse : hard to find sites with english translation).

    But having followed the Deutsch Tour last year - I can tell you that it is extremely popular race and it is a tough tour.

    Maybe cyclingnews will bring some coverage?

  7. limerickman said:

    My tuppence worth : I haven't found a site with english translation for the Deutsch Tour.
    (it's like Romandy and Tour De Suisse : hard to find sites with english translation).

    But having followed the Deutsch Tour last year - I can tell you that it is extremely popular race and it is a tough tour.

    Maybe cyclingnews will bring some coverage?

    The official site has a button for English, but it doesn't do anything. Must be some sick Teutonic joke.

  8. Thomas Dekker will start, TM wants Klöden to start but it lookes like he doesn't want to (well i haven't decide it yet... one week before the race starts..).

  9. JRMDC said:

    Lots of Italian and Spanish races have single language websites. I would think that a Pro Tour race would up the ante, however. I don't see French as an automatic choice, however. The biggest cycling countries/markets are France, Spain, and Italy, not necessarily in that order. Why not all three, and if you do one other language, what do you pick (besides English, I suppose)?

    Maybe French for the German races because France is closer?

    Note: I've got nothing against the French! 🙂


    Belgium and Switzerland are big markets - Belgium obviously - and speak French. I'm not making some nationalistic point but honelstly believe that the main tours (GTs and the likes of Deutschland which to be fair does have English and French) and the 10 or 12 recognised Classics of which the cyclasssics is I suppose one should have both languages since they are the 2 most widely understood in the cycling world.

    For example I am a native English speaker but virtually every cycling conversation I have is in French whether in Belgium, France of more rarely Italy and of course the reality is that English reaches the worldwide audience. It is common sense.

  10. tiogar said:

    Belgium and Switzerland are big markets - Belgium obviously - and speak French. I'm not making some nationalistic point but honelstly believe that the main tours (GTs and the likes of Deutschland which to be fair does have English and French) and the 10 or 12 recognised Classics of which the cyclasssics is I suppose one should have both languages since they are the 2 most widely understood in the cycling world.

    For example I am a native English speaker but virtually every cycling conversation I have is in French whether in Belgium, France of more rarely Italy and of course the reality is that English reaches the worldwide audience. It is common sense.

    thanks for the info

  11. There is now an english language version of the official tour website:

    deutschland-tour.deen

    No rider info. So far, the only mentions of riders I have seen are Danielson and Leipheimer (and in a post above, T Dekker).

    Oddly to me, the site has a page that in part extolls the benefits of the Pro Tour. Professionalism! Stability! New sponsors! Are individual events required to do such promotion?

    A number of links click through to german language content. Except, of course, the Pro Tour promotional page. 🙂

  12. JRMDC said:

    For some reason, the official website is down, or under construction. At least I think it is the official site

    deutschland-tour.dedeutschland-tour.de

    Maybe when it comes up it will have english. But I have had decent luck with babelfish for translation.

    it's up now and in english.

  13. I predict that Levi will win it, needs another result after his dissapointing TdF.

  14. Will Vino ride it, as a TdF partial-replacement? What does Vino do now, that his team is cleared?

  15. Eldrack said:

    I predict that Levi will win it, needs another result after his dissapointing TdF.


    I predict if Vino rides he will win. If Klöden rides he has good changes to... Landis?

  16. cyclingheroes said:

    I predict if Vino rides he will win. If Klöden rides he has good changes to... Landis?

    Landis is to ride the Tour of Britain unless his surgery conflicts. He is also riding in the Chicago area on the 13th. If he had plans for Germany, I presume they would have been mentioned in those articles.

  17. Eldrack said:

    I predict that Levi will win it, needs another result after his dissapointing TdF.

    Gerolsteiner hasn't been very supportive of him for months. His leaving is not a surprise. He won't be "super-motivated" for the Tour of Germany and I expect Gerolsteiner will protect a rider that will be around next year-one of the Germans. Americans, and Discovery Channel's audience won't care much about who wins the Tour of Germany.

  18. Still no list of riders on the website. Anyone hear about who is riding?

  19. Great..we have about 10 German channels on cable and I watched just two of them because they have cycling races that Eurosport doesn`t. I`ve just seen that they removed ARD from their channel scheme which broadcasts yesterdays`s HEW classic and Deutschland tour. Why couldn`t they remove one of the other 9 boring ones!?😕

  20. JRMDC said:

    Still no list of riders on the website. Anyone hear about who is riding?


    cyclingstartlists has an imcomplete roster.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.