Developing Training Software

OK - I'm afraid this project got a little waylaid by life in general, but I'm aiming to get a bit more into it soon

I've started this website to chart the development of the software and to act as an interface for discussion and assessment of the project as it moves along...

I hope you can all check it out!!

timbradley said:
Yeah - OK - will stick to Java as the development language.

However, having a limited knowledge of Java (Although I am working on it) will slow progress a little - at least at the start!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Keep 'em coming - Whilst I obviously won't be able to include them all, the bigger the list to choose from the better!
Whether Java or not, stick to thin client man. The days of installing software on your machine are so 90's. :D

Ok here's my 2 cents worth.

I currently use the Polar product. I would love to be able to select a part of an session eg, a split that is for a regualr hill or TT effort and save it as that. In this way I could do an overlay of the same ride or portion of a ride that is the same. It would be great to overlay 2,3 or more efforts taken over a period of time and compare the graphs.

timbradley said:
OK - I'm afraid this project got a little waylaid by life in general, but I'm aiming to get a bit more into it soon

I've started this website to chart the development of the software and to act as an interface for discussion and assessment of the project as it moves along...

I hope you can all check it out!!

timbradley said:
Hi All

I am currently thinking about developing some a new piece of Cycling specific training software.

I am initially going to develop it to use Polar HRM files as a basis then expand from there.

It isn't that I am particularly unsatisfied with the Polar Precision software, I just thought I'd use it as an exercise in software development as I am currently doing a Masters in IT.

Anyway - The question I want to ask is:

What features would you like to see in such a piece of Training Software?

All answers will be appreciated and considered - If this grows enough, I may consider using it as the basis for my degree project! I will also keep you all posted on progress!

Look forward to hearing from you all!!
I'd really like a bit of software which could take GPS data, and create a visual representation of my route showing speed and HR data in relation their position on the route. Thus giving a breakdown of performance on different types of rides.

Hi everyone!!

I have created a survey to try and get a feel for what everybody is looking for in order to help me refine the features list for the software.

It would be great if ou could take five minutes to answer the questions!!

All your answers and suggestions will be appreciated and considered!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=722822372406 <--That's it!!

Thanks peoples!!

Tim - some thoughts:

It sounds to me like this should be a website. You upload your polar (etc) files to it, and all charts, calendars, etc are web based. The advantage of this is that users could make their stats public (for some good-natured competition) and could foster a community. Also, users wouldn't have to install an app, and could access their info from anywhere.

Also, if you wanted to move the project towards being commercial, it is easier as a website (google ads), as people just don't shell out cash for utilites of this sort very often anymore.

I'm actually a fan of thick-clients (i.e. a desktop swing-based Java GUI) where applicable, but I don't think that there are any UI elements involved in software like this that justify being a thick client.

As far as Java goes, if you get stuck, log into the ##java channel on http://freenode.net - I'm often hanging out in there (same nick), but so are a bunch of other Java experts. Even if you do it as a website - I still recomend Java for the server-side stuff, although PHP would also be suitable.

Good luck

Lrac6 said:
Tim - some thoughts:

It sounds to me like this should be a website. You upload your polar (etc) files to it, and all charts, calendars, etc are web based. The advantage of this is that users could make their stats public (for some good-natured competition) and could foster a community. Also, users wouldn't have to install an app, and could access their info from anywhere.

Also, if you wanted to move the project towards being commercial, it is easier as a website (google ads), as people just don't shell out cash for utilites of this sort very often anymore.

I'm actually a fan of thick-clients (i.e. a desktop swing-based Java GUI) where applicable, but I don't think that there are any UI elements involved in software like this that justify being a thick client.

As far as Java goes, if you get stuck, log into the ##java channel on http://freenode.net - I'm often hanging out in there (same nick), but so are a bunch of other Java experts. Even if you do it as a website - I still recomend Java for the server-side stuff, although PHP would also be suitable.

Good luck
i'd say the best option would be ajax + php :] it's tough, but it's doable.

vuce said:
i'd say the best option would be ajax + php :] it's tough, but it's doable.

Yeah, although the GWT (google web toolkit) might tip the scales back to the Java's advantage, but I haven't played with it so I dunno. Anyway, such debates aren't really on topic here so *shrug* use what you please.

Always interesing to hear ppl's opinions on such things.

The web-based idea is definitely a good idea - in concert with such an idea, in general opinion, would it be worthwhile producing a small, client-side app as well to act as a substitute tool for the times when the end user does not have net access?

OBviously, if the emphasis was on a thin client type app, then the local tool would have only limited functionality, with the full arsenal of tools only available when connected to the net!

Cheers for the interest by the way!

You could have an offline version, but honestly I think that it's safe to assume that for the vast majority of the time, people's computers are connected to the internet. Plus, what sort of interaction would you need with a tool if this type that couldn't wait until you had internet access?

Although I sympathize with your desire to write a client side app. More fun to write than a website (IMO)